Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-09-2021, 11:46 AM   #61
Number9
Dude
Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One; Kobo Aura H2o; Sony Reader PRS-T3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
You're not blind, it's missing.
Phew!
Number9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 12:19 PM   #62
tschucha
Zealot
tschucha reads XML... blindfoldedtschucha reads XML... blindfoldedtschucha reads XML... blindfoldedtschucha reads XML... blindfoldedtschucha reads XML... blindfoldedtschucha reads XML... blindfoldedtschucha reads XML... blindfoldedtschucha reads XML... blindfoldedtschucha reads XML... blindfoldedtschucha reads XML... blindfoldedtschucha reads XML... blindfolded

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrChiper View Post
There is an updated Bitter type: Bitter Pro.
The line spacing can be solved by including "line-height: normal" into your CSS file (for instance in de body {} section). Somehow kobo's assume for Bitter (Pro) some weird default line height.
Maybe I'm a bit dense but where do you go to add the "line-height: normal" into your CSS file ? Is this something that needs to be added in Calibre? If so how do I do it? I looked but didn't find it.
tschucha is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-09-2021, 02:06 PM   #63
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tschucha View Post
Maybe I'm a bit dense but where do you go to add the "line-height: normal" into your CSS file ? Is this something that needs to be added in Calibre? If so how do I do it? I looked but didn't find it.
The answer was provided in the quote you included in your post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrChiper View Post
There is an updated Bitter type: Bitter Pro.
The line spacing can be solved by including "line-height: normal" into your CSS file (for instance in the body {} section). Somehow kobo's assume for Bitter (Pro) some weird default line height.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 03:13 PM   #64
tschucha
Zealot
tschucha reads XML... blindfoldedtschucha reads XML... blindfoldedtschucha reads XML... blindfoldedtschucha reads XML... blindfoldedtschucha reads XML... blindfoldedtschucha reads XML... blindfoldedtschucha reads XML... blindfoldedtschucha reads XML... blindfoldedtschucha reads XML... blindfoldedtschucha reads XML... blindfoldedtschucha reads XML... blindfolded

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
The answer was provided in the quote you included in your post:
"The line spacing can be solved by including "line-height: normal" into your CSS file (for instance in the body {} section)."

That's what I am looking for clarification on. Where can I find the css file that includes the body {} section?
Old 11-09-2021, 04:01 PM   #65
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
"The line spacing can be solved by including "line-height: normal" into your CSS file (for instance in the body {} section)."

That's what I am looking for clarification on. Where can I find the css file that includes the body {} section?
Open the book in the editor (Edit book).
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-09-2021, 08:15 PM   #66
hobnail
Running with scissors
hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:

Not all ebooks have css for the body tag. Or they may have a div tag that encloses the entire chapter, which may need its css fixed. If your stylesheet.css or whatever it's called doesn't have anything for the body tag you can add it;

Code:
body {
  line-height: 1.2;  /* or normal */
}
hobnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 08:29 PM   #67
tschucha
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobnail View Post
Not all ebooks have css for the body tag. Or they may have a div tag that encloses the entire chapter, which may need its css fixed. If your stylesheet.css or whatever it's called doesn't have anything for the body tag you can add it;

Code:
body {
  line-height: 1.2;  /* or normal */
}
Can I add this for all books in Calibre by going to Preferences-Conversion-Common Opitions-Look & Feel- Styling-Extra CSS?

body {
line-height: 1.2; /* or normal */
}
Old 11-09-2021, 08:58 PM   #68
hobnail
Running with scissors
hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Can I add this for all books in Calibre by going to Preferences-Conversion-Common Opitions-Look & Feel- Styling-Extra CSS?

body {
line-height: 1.2; /* or normal */
}
Yes, but it doesn't always work. That's what I did early on. The problem is if a tag has a class, that css takes precedence over a naked tag. E.g., if it says body class="calibre1" then it'll use the .calibre1 css and not yours. Even worse, some have body style="some crap" but I think calibre will convert that to a class in the .css file. I've resorted to deleting the class="whatever" on all of the body tags, likewise on all of the p tags for the body text. This is after I convert to EPUB. The kindle files are pretty ugly and calibre cleans up a lot of their garbage during the conversion.

Last edited by hobnail; 11-09-2021 at 09:01 PM.
hobnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 09:08 PM   #69
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krios View Post
Bitter is great, it is manually spaced so it fits more characters per line than any other font i tried, it even looks great when text is justified because it almost eliminates uneven word spacing.
Only minus is, it can look a little bit squarish.
Does Bitter have ligatures? (My Kobo is downstairs or I would just install it and check.)
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 11:27 PM   #70
Deobulakenyo
Guru
Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deobulakenyo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Boyue Likebook P78
Pardon my ignorance but is ligatures GOOD or BAD in ereaders?

What is the implication if a font has ligatures?
Deobulakenyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 11:36 PM   #71
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deobulakenyo View Post
Pardon my ignorance but is ligatures GOOD or BAD in ereaders?

What is the implication if a font has ligatures?
Ligatures are joined characters - some people consider them to be absolutely indispensable to the reading experience, others care so little about them they may not even notice their presence or absence. YMMV, personally, I couldn't give a Continental for them in English, but empathize with those who do care because I hate their absence in Hindi.

Last edited by Uncle Robin; 11-10-2021 at 10:12 AM.
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 12:44 AM   #72
tschucha
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobnail View Post
Yes, but it doesn't always work. That's what I did early on. The problem is if a tag has a class, that css takes precedence over a naked tag. E.g., if it says body class="calibre1" then it'll use the .calibre1 css and not yours. Even worse, some have body style="some crap" but I think calibre will convert that to a class in the .css file. I've resorted to deleting the class="whatever" on all of the body tags, likewise on all of the p tags for the body text. This is after I convert to EPUB. The kindle files are pretty ugly and calibre cleans up a lot of their garbage during the conversion.
Did you do this by creating a rule in Calibre by going to Preferences-Conversion-Common Opitions-Look & Feel- Transform styles?

Also on the in Preferences-Conversion-Common Opitions-Look & Feel- Styling page at the bottom is a Filter style information box that allows you to completely remove stuff. Do you know if it is safe to remove Fonts and Margins? Some converted epub books do not allow a kobo reader to change fonts at all and others seem to have a large margin on the left side for no apparent reason. I'd love to get rid of both of these issues.

At the present time I haven't been able to find any books to test this on.
Old 11-10-2021, 06:15 AM   #73
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Did you do this by creating a rule in Calibre by going to Preferences-Conversion-Common Opitions-Look & Feel- Transform styles?

Also on the in Preferences-Conversion-Common Opitions-Look & Feel- Styling page at the bottom is a Filter style information box that allows you to completely remove stuff. Do you know if it is safe to remove Fonts and Margins? Some converted epub books do not allow a kobo reader to change fonts at all and others seem to have a large margin on the left side for no apparent reason. I'd love to get rid of both of these issues.

At the present time I haven't been able to find any books to test this on.
It may be safe with some books, but not with others (it may remove section breaks and other necessary margins as well). The only foolproof way is to do it in the editor manually.

The large left margin usually appears when the book is converted from the old mobi format. I've removed them in the editor from hundreds of my older Amazon purchases.

Last edited by Sirtel; 11-10-2021 at 06:23 AM.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 08:53 AM   #74
Krios
Zealot
Krios can name that ebook in five wordsKrios can name that ebook in five wordsKrios can name that ebook in five wordsKrios can name that ebook in five wordsKrios can name that ebook in five wordsKrios can name that ebook in five wordsKrios can name that ebook in five wordsKrios can name that ebook in five wordsKrios can name that ebook in five wordsKrios can name that ebook in five wordsKrios can name that ebook in five words

Device: Bookeen Odyssey FrontLight 2, Pocketbook Inkpad 3, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Does Bitter have ligatures? (My Kobo is downstairs or I would just install it and check.)
It has more common ones, like fi, fl, ff, ffi, ffl.
Krios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 10:05 AM   #75
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krios View Post
It has more common ones, like fi, fl, ff, ffi, ffl.
Thank you! Really, it's only fi that I especially look for, though the others are nice.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote