Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-03-2021, 10:22 AM   #46
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
There's several flavors of Sitka. Which did you grab? The only downloadable one I saw was Sitka Small.

Not sure what the differences are on an ereader. I went with Sitka Text.
The set I downloaded includes a version of Sitka Text, that's the one I'm using, the list looks like this
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sitka.png
Views:	415
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	190002  
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 11:39 AM   #47
rtiangha
Evangelist
rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by omro View Post
I’ve never had the kobo set to publisher’s default. Does this mean they embed a font into the ebook?
Yes; if an ebook has built in fonts (or refers to other fonts already installed in the reader), Publisher Default will use them. Sometimes they'll only specify specific fonts for the headers and other things but not the body font, which in that case will use the Kobo default of Georgia. If you manually specify a font in the menu, it'll use it for everything, which may not have been the author's/publisher's intent. Programming books are one example of a book that uses multiple fonts at the same time.
rtiangha is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-03-2021, 11:46 AM   #48
rtiangha
Evangelist
rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rtiangha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Double post.

Last edited by rtiangha; 11-03-2021 at 11:59 AM.
Old 11-03-2021, 11:50 AM   #49
rtiangha
Evangelist

Quote:
For some reason, I can't get Sitka to show up on my Kobo.

In the Windows 10 font folder, I moved Sitka Text (Regular, Italic, Bold, Bold italic) to the Kobo font folder. They show up in the font folder as expected, but are not in the font list.

Edit: The file extensions were TTC. Changing them to TTF got Sitka to show, though now I have six listings for Sitka (Banner, Heading, Small, etc) though Sitka Text is the only set of files I copied over.
Ah whoops, yes, you need to extract the ttfs from the container file first since Kobo doesn't know how to access them fully. As someone has already posted, there are online tools that can do that by uploading the ttc then downloading the set of ttfs after conversion, or if you're on Linux or have Python installed, you can install fonttools and use font-rename to extract them. In a pinch, fontforge can open ttcs too and you can save each version one at a time.

Quote:
There's several flavors of Sitka. Which did you grab? The only downloadable one I saw was Sitka Small.

Not sure what the differences are on an ereader. I went with Sitka Text.
They follow standard font naming conventions, so I used the Text version since that's optimized for body text at a variety of small sizes which is how I read; Display is usually meant for headers or font sizes larger than 14 pt (but if you exclusively read in large print, maybe the Display versions of fonts might be a better fit for use).

Some more details:
https://www.linkedin.com/learning/gr...e-vs-text-type

Last edited by rtiangha; 11-03-2021 at 01:44 PM.
Old 11-03-2021, 03:50 PM   #50
Mihawk
Mihawk began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtiangha View Post
Ah whoops, yes, you need to extract the ttfs from the container file first since Kobo doesn't know how to access them fully. As someone has already posted, there are online tools that can do that by uploading the ttc then downloading the set of ttfs after conversion, or if you're on Linux or have Python installed, you can install fonttools and use font-rename to extract them. In a pinch, fontforge can open ttcs too and you can save each version one at a time.

They follow standard font naming conventions, so I used the Text version since that's optimized for body text at a variety of small sizes which is how I read; Display is usually meant for headers or font sizes larger than 14 pt (but if you exclusively read in large print, maybe the Display versions of fonts might be a better fit for use).

Some more details:
https://www.linkedin.com/learning/gr...e-vs-text-type
For kobo libra which one is preferable? Text or display font?
Mihawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-03-2021, 03:58 PM   #51
rtiangha
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mihawk View Post
For kobo libra which one is preferable? Text or display font?
Depends on the font size you normally read at and feel comfortable with. If the font size slider stays mostly to the left, probably Text. If you have yours set near the middle or right side, then probably Display. But you can try both and see what looks better to you; I believe that if you don't rename them, they can both be installed at the same time.
Old 11-03-2021, 07:05 PM   #52
omro
Addict
omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtiangha View Post
Yes; if an ebook has built in fonts (or refers to other fonts already installed in the reader), Publisher Default will use them. Sometimes they'll only specify specific fonts for the headers and other things but not the body font, which in that case will use the Kobo default of Georgia. If you manually specify a font in the menu, it'll use it for everything, which may not have been the author's/publisher's intent. Programming books are one example of a book that uses multiple fonts at the same time.
I'll have to give that a go. Thanks!
omro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 07:08 PM   #53
omro
Addict
omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krios View Post
Bitter is great, it is manually spaced so it fits more characters per line than any other font i tried, it even looks great when text is justified because it almost eliminates uneven word spacing.
Only minus is, it can look a little bit squarish.

I also use Literata, Minion Pro is also good, but x height is too small for readers under 7" (for my eyes), so i use it mostly on Inkpad 3.

I used Bookerly in the past but it is too wide for me, i wish condensed version exist (at least a little condensed).
Is there a link to the download for Bitter that you recommend? The version I just downloaded has excessive line spacing.

Last edited by omro; 11-03-2021 at 07:20 PM.
omro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 06:00 AM   #54
DrChiper
Bookish
DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrChiper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC, t1, t2, t3, aura 2 v1, clara HD, Libra 2, Nxtpaper 11
Quote:
Is there a link to the download for Bitter that you recommend? The version I just downloaded has excessive line spacing.
There is an updated Bitter type: Bitter Pro.
The line spacing can be solved by including "line-height: normal" into your CSS file (for instance in de body {} section). Somehow kobo's assume for Bitter (Pro) some weird default line height.
DrChiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 08:23 AM   #55
Krios
Zealot
Krios can name that ebook in five wordsKrios can name that ebook in five wordsKrios can name that ebook in five wordsKrios can name that ebook in five wordsKrios can name that ebook in five wordsKrios can name that ebook in five wordsKrios can name that ebook in five wordsKrios can name that ebook in five wordsKrios can name that ebook in five wordsKrios can name that ebook in five wordsKrios can name that ebook in five words

Device: Bookeen Odyssey FrontLight 2, Pocketbook Inkpad 3, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
I downloaded it from google fonts, or maybe github, dont remember, try both Bitter and Bitter Pro, for me Bitter Pro has excesive line spacing, while Bitter is great.
Krios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2021, 08:42 AM   #56
spacepope
Zealot
spacepope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spacepope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spacepope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spacepope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spacepope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spacepope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spacepope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spacepope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spacepope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spacepope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spacepope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, Kobo Clara, Kindle Paperwhite 3, Smartphone
My favorite font for kobo (including Libra) is Libre Baskerville: https://www.fontsquirrel.com/fonts/libre-baskerville

Turning down line spacing + Libre Baskerville = pure reading heaven.
spacepope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2021, 09:51 AM   #57
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by spacepope View Post
My favorite font for kobo (including Libra) is Libre Baskerville: https://www.fontsquirrel.com/fonts/libre-baskerville

Turning down line spacing + Libre Baskerville = pure reading heaven.
It is a nice font, but it's missing a bold italic variant. Here is a link with all of the existing variants. You link is missing one. https://www.1001fonts.com/libre-baskerville-font.html

Charis SIL is based on Baskerville and ChareInk is a modified Charis SIL.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2021, 11:20 AM   #58
spacepope
Zealot
spacepope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spacepope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spacepope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spacepope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spacepope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spacepope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spacepope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spacepope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spacepope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spacepope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spacepope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, Kobo Clara, Kindle Paperwhite 3, Smartphone
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
It is a nice font, but it's missing a bold italic variant. Here is a link with all of the existing variants. You link is missing one. https://www.1001fonts.com/libre-baskerville-font.html

Thank you! Baskerville is definitely my favorite font, and I find it even easier to read than Bookerly. It's certainly easier on the eyes than the Kobo standard fonts, in my opinion.

I'll check out Charis/ChareInk as well!
spacepope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 07:18 AM   #59
Number9
Dude
Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One; Kobo Aura H2o; Sony Reader PRS-T3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post

No matter how much i stare at that page, I just can't find the Bold Italic font! I see Regular, Italic and Bold only. Am I going blind?
Number9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 11:41 AM   #60
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number9 View Post
No matter how much i stare at that page, I just can't find the Bold Italic font! I see Regular, Italic and Bold only. Am I going blind?
You're not blind, it's missing.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote