Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 08-27-2022, 03:54 PM   #16
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Maybe it was decided during a drunken party?
You're thinking of when we were young and wild and restless, Jon. Probably stoned.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2022, 04:41 PM   #17
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
You're thinking of when we were young and wild and restless, Jon. Probably stoned.

Hitch
Maybe we were young, dumb, and ugly.

But I think whoever approved Books as a new name is old and stupid.

Last edited by JSWolf; 08-27-2022 at 04:45 PM.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-27-2022, 04:49 PM   #18
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Maybe we were young, dumb, and ugly.

But I think whoever approved Books as a new name is old and stupid.

Speak for yourself, geezer. :-D

H
Old 08-27-2022, 05:08 PM   #19
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Speak for yourself, geezer. :-D

H
I'm not a senior citizen yet.
Old 08-27-2022, 05:08 PM   #20
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
I'm not a senior citizen yet.
Well, son, that's one of us.

Hitch
Advert
Old 08-27-2022, 05:09 PM   #21
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Yes, and what slays me is, of all the companies, in all the world, which is the MOST SEO-knowledgeable? How can they be that flipping dumb?
Companies knew about the need for special spelling etc for brands and trademarks long before the Internet. Now some are just arrogant
Old Names:
Brillo (brass cleaner)
Sellotape (similar to Scotch tape, originally cellulose sticky tape)
Batrymax from Eveready Batteries (variously National Carbon Company and 1st off something like the American Electrical Novelty and Manufacturing Company in 1898 before amalgamation with NCC.
Kleenex
Tampax
Tesco
Amstrad (Originally Alan Sugar Trading co.)

There were (and are) companies that used the founder's name or names of partners.

Apple picked a stupid name and logo when founded. Sued and lost to the Beatles twice, who founded Apple Corp Ltd, with an apple core as logo. Apple Computers Inc dropped the Computers bit after being sued twice by the Beatles. Maybe too many are dead. They pinched the names iPhone from Cisco and iPad from Fujitsu. Had to pay compensation. The watch wasn't an iWatch, just Apple Watch. Bit daft calling their ebooks iBooks and and odder to rename to Books. Their streaming box is an Apple TV (but no screen!). There are Amazon Fire TVs that are real TVs as Android TVs are.

Amazon was a stupid choice for the Book Company and Iceland for a supermarket chain. Both have been in legal conflict with entire countries (Brazil and Iceland).

Diesel, Gap etc are stupid brand names for clothes.

Google was derived from googol and Googleplex from googolplex. They didn't notice Enid Blyton used it as kind of bun. Then arrogantly they make Alphabet be the holding company.

Facebook was an appropriate name when it started by rating girls' faces in Harvard. Calling the new holding company Meta is a bit mad.

Hollerith Business Machines became International Business Machines and then IBM.

Analog Devices must have seemed a good idea when they only made an integrated circuit instrumentation amplifier.

Intel was the name of the evil computer company in 1962 Andromeda Breakthrough, sequel to A is for Andromeda.

A Japanese company named after the founding partners wanted to launch the 2nd transistor radio ever, but in the USA. Maybe 1956.
"We need an American sounding name!"
"Something sounding so New York?"
"That's it, Sony!"
That worked out well?

LG was Lucky Goldstar in English, so they used the initials!

Apple has no monopoly on stupidity.

Last edited by Quoth; 08-27-2022 at 05:12 PM.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2022, 05:10 PM   #22
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Well, son, that's one of us.

Hitch
I'm not young for sure. But I do know that at my age, I can make better eBooks then someone 1/2 my age (or younger) at the big publishers.
Old 08-27-2022, 05:13 PM   #23
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
I'm not young for sure. But I do know that at my age, I can make better eBooks then someone 1/2 my age (or younger) at the big publishers.
LOL, Jon, dearest, probably better than 98% of them, if not more.

Hitch
Old 08-27-2022, 05:28 PM   #24
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
LOL, Jon, dearest, probably better than 98% of them, if not more.

Hitch
I've seen some pretty dire (code) eBooks out there. Why can't eBooks be formatted well with good code? The big publishers really do a job on them.
Old 08-27-2022, 06:32 PM   #25
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
(Lots of examples of stupid product names)
You left out Windows, Word, and SQL Server
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2022, 06:44 PM   #26
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
Windows and Word are easy to search for. You search for the version of Windows and Word that you want and it's easy to find.
Old 08-27-2022, 07:55 PM   #27
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Windows and Word are easy to search for. You search for the version of Windows and Word that you want and it's easy to find.
It's hard to keep them out of search results.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2022, 01:30 AM   #28
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Meh, with Windows and Word, it really isn't as bloody hard as it is with "Apple Books." I mean, you can't do "Mac Books," because what you get is entirely wrong. "Apple Books" rarely gets you what you want. "Books e-reading app" gets you every damn eReader under the sun. "Books Reader for Mac," ditto. I mean, when it was iBooks, searching worked. Now it's a bloody disaster. And I'm a searching demon--it's one of my superpowers and I still have problems with it.

With Word, you can preface it with MSFT or use the year suffix, as Jon said (Word 2016, for example, or Word for Mac). And half the time, if you only type "word" you get Word results, anyway. Ditto Windows, but again, you can do MSFT Windows, or Windows 10, yadda and the search results make sense. SQL Server...I have to admit, I haven't had big issues searching that, but I'll defer if you have.

Hitch
Old 08-28-2022, 04:43 AM   #29
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Meh, with Windows and Word, it really isn't as bloody hard as it is with "Apple Books." I mean, you can't do "Mac Books," because what you get is entirely wrong. "Apple Books" rarely gets you what you want. "Books e-reading app" gets you every damn eReader under the sun. "Books Reader for Mac," ditto. I mean, when it was iBooks, searching worked. Now it's a bloody disaster. And I'm a searching demon--it's one of my superpowers and I still have problems with it.

With Word, you can preface it with MSFT or use the year suffix, as Jon said (Word 2016, for example, or Word for Mac). And half the time, if you only type "word" you get Word results, anyway. Ditto Windows, but again, you can do MSFT Windows, or Windows 10, yadda and the search results make sense. SQL Server...I have to admit, I haven't had big issues searching that, but I'll defer if you have.

Hitch
Mac Books is a good one. It comes up with Macbooks. Now if you search for "Mac Books" (with the quotes), you get results for Books about Macs and books about Fleetwood Mac.

Someone at Apple really need to rename books back to iBooks.
Old 08-28-2022, 06:01 AM   #30
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Yes, those are stupid. Actually Excel and Access are stupid names too. They bought in SQL Server from Sybase at about version 4, 5 or 6. Visio is OK as a name (bought in, I used the original). Powerpoint is maybe OK as a name (bought in and very little improvement, still poorer than many alternatives). MapPoint seems to works as a name. Better than "Maps". I always search "MS Word".

Word, Windows, Excel, SQL Server must be paid search terms by MS as it's hard to not get Microsoft results.

Even worse is MS is suing a woman or issuing desist notice for her cheap plastic outline (no electronics) because she called it "Word Window". It's some sort of slot supposed to help dyslexic people read paper books. Likely works better than using Open Dyslexic font which appears to be an artistic endeavour with no real trial on effectiveness. I demoed a Kobo to a couple of Dyslexic people and they found Georgia with ability to change size, line space and margins far better than Open Dyslexic, and better than anything on paper but that's not a proper trial.

Last edited by Quoth; 08-28-2022 at 06:04 AM.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ade, ibooks, toc