Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 02-18-2014, 08:19 AM   #1
pencilone
pencilone began at the beginning.

Device: NOOK
Handwriting a novel on asus eee note ea800

Has anyone been using an Asus EEE Note Ea-800 for handwriting notes for a novel?

Would it be possible to use MyScript Notes to this device to transform the handwriting images to text? Or could it be used with any other OCR software?

I'm asking because I find it so much easier to handwrite notes instead of typing.
pencilone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 10:12 AM   #2
WillAdams
Wizard
WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite (300ppi), Samsung Galaxy Book 12
Interesting.

Since it has built-in support for EverNote, I'd be inclined to try that first.

The MyScript Notes HWR worked well when I tried a demo of it a long while ago.
WillAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-18-2014, 10:32 AM   #3
pencilone

Thanks.
I am still on the fence if I should buy it or not. Not being able to convert to text it would be a deal breaker for me.
So support for EverNote would mean it converts to text?
I asked MyScript support if it is possible to use a MyScript application to convert to text the output from Asus Eee note EA800 and I got the following message:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thank you for your interest in our handwriting recognition technology.
You will find a detailed explanation on our Technical FAQ, as to why MyScript CANNOT be used to scan documents and process them as image files such as JPG, PDF:

http://myscriptsupport.visionobjects...php?article=67

I am not aware of alternative software to answer your question. You will need to use some kind of OCR software to try and recognize scanned notes.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
So I get it that they say no... I have looked on quite a number of sites and I couldn't really see that it clearly converts to text.
Old 02-19-2014, 04:37 AM   #4
pencilone

I've just received an email from an eBay seller of the Asus who said:
"We have checked with ASUS and they confirmed that Asus Eee Note EA800 did not have support converting handwriting from a graphic into text."

This just makes it one very expensive writing pad and if there is no way to convert to text I'm not convinced I want to buy it, unless I could hear some positive thoughts from someone who managed to use it to convert to text.
Old 02-19-2014, 08:51 AM   #5
pencilone

I've just discovered an even sleeker little gadget for handwriting: Sharp WG-N20 Electronic Notepad or Sharp WG-N10 Electronic Notepad

It seems to cope nicely with writing, but it doesn't convert to text either.
I was wondering if anyone has been using it.

Last edited by pencilone; 02-20-2014 at 10:05 AM.
Advert
Old 02-19-2014, 08:05 PM   #6
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
I'm no help to you at all pencilone. Way back when I used an Apple Newton I experimented with this stuff for a while, and found that I spent more time correcting the conversion than I did getting anything written. I suppose things may have improved since then, but I have trouble reading my own hand-writing so I think it's a bit much to ask a computer to manage
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 07:47 AM   #7
WillAdams
Wizard
WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I used to write out class notes and papers on my Newton MessagePad (an MP-100), so one can definitely use even the older HWR (FWIW, the connected HWR from Newton is available as the ``Calligrapher'' engine in PenOffice) --- for comparison you can see a sample of my handwriting here: http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/fo...mm-italic-nib/

Currently I'm writing out a book on my Fujitsu Stylistic ST-4121 Tablet PC --- debating on moving it over to a ThinkPad x61 Tablet.
Old 02-20-2014, 10:04 AM   #8
pencilone

Thanks for sharing this. Probably I am just procrastinating, but after reading some more I am really smitten with Sharp WG-N10 Electronic Notepad. I saw a few videos on YouTube (all in Japanese unfortunatelly, but I got the jist of it from the demo!). While the Asus was an e-reader and writing device, the Sharp has been designed as a writing device. I found a cheaper first model WG-N10 at Rakuten market: http://global.rakuten.com/en/store/m..._browsehist_en

Even if the Sharp seems to be a better device, there is still the problem of converting to text, and I wish maybe someone could point me in the right direction.

Maybe I should not persist with this but I feel that handwriting the ideas flow easier.
Old 02-20-2014, 10:33 AM   #9
WillAdams
Wizard

The problem is, if one wants to convert handwriting to text one needs to capture not just the final shape of the letterform, but the stroke order, and direction --- it's helpful to also capture the pressure used for each point of the stroke, this was colloquially known as ``ink''.

There have been devices for doing this sort of thing --- Cross's Digital NotePad comes to mind --- ISTR the IBM Ink Manager Software even included an option for handwriting recognition.

I'm still surprised at Vision Objects claiming their software won't work --- What types of files can I open with MyScript Notes? (from http://www.visionobjects.com/handwri...nition/faq.htm )

Logitech IO & IO2 Digital Pen (.pen)
Nokia SU-1B & SU-27W Digital Pens (.pgd & .pgc)
Maxell Digital Pen (.pgd & .pgc)
ACECAD DigiMemo (.dhw)
Pegasus NoteTaker (.pnt)
iRex iLiad (.irx)
Digital Ink Pad (.top)
Genius G-Note 7000 (.top)
Sony Ericsson Chatpen (.svg)
IBM Crosspad (.ps)
MyScript Notes native format (.notes)

so it should just be a matter of getting the Asus to take the notes in one of the above file-formats --- unfortunately, xournal seems to run too slowly to be useful.

Last edited by WillAdams; 02-20-2014 at 10:36 AM.
Old 02-21-2014, 04:06 AM   #10
pencilone

Thanks so much, WillAdams. I'll have to study further all these file formats, and that it is a very good source.

It makes perfect sense that if I manage to use the software of one of the above list there is a good chance to be able to use MyScript to convert to text.
I've got the OfficeInk which can open jpg files. Hopefully there I could save it in a format accepted by MyScript.

I had a look at Cross Pen CrossPad and it is amazing that this device first appeared in 1973 and it is still listed on Amazon. People have always wanted a device like this and they have always been kind of disappointed (just like with the dictation software).

I'll let you know how it worked when I get the device. Not the Asus, the Sharp WG-N10 Electronic Notepad (I tried to change the tread name to Sharp WG-N10 Electronic Notepad but I couldn't).

I'll keep my fingers crossed that the little Sharp device will work, although the Japanese menu items will be a bit disconcerting at first.
Old 02-21-2014, 08:47 AM   #11
WillAdams
Wizard

JPG won't work as an input format --- it's just pixels, so loses all the stroke information.
Old 02-21-2014, 04:37 PM   #12
pencilone

I found out it also outputs .BMP files. Maybe this is a better choice.

I can hardly wait to get it although it will probably be a struggle to decipher the Japanese menus and options.
Old 02-21-2014, 07:41 PM   #13
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
It be cool if you find one that works. Handwriting notes on tablet would be much faster for me then trying to type on the screen.
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 10:13 PM   #14
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Maybe look for software that can 'learn' to read your handwriting then see what hardware it can run. I personally find playing around with writing software is often a good way to do anything but write. Im not suggesting its the same for you. Ive learned to love soft keyboards to take notes. For serious output and editing, I can only use a hard keyboard. Still, if handwriting were possible and it also supported decent editing, that would really be something. Ill wait until its out of beta and everyone else is using it daily. Then it will be ready for me
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 04:04 AM   #15
pencilone

Thanks, guys. Yes, handwriting is more natural for me and it would be easier to make the 'morning pages' that Julia Cameron speaks about in her book The Artist's Way. And also I am not a good typist.
With regard to software I had a look around and MyScript Notes seems to allow some kind of training to be done. I also got a second hand Genius G-Note 7000 which has not arrived yet. This one uses ordinary paper and two special pens (one red and one blue I believe). I have read somewhere that it could take even three colours, which could be nice for editing. Personaly I would edit in Scrivener and not on paper. Handwriting for me is all about the first draft.
The reason I like the idea of writing on The Sharp is that it's all done electonically and even if it doesn't have a screen back light I could use a little book light. The latest model Shap wg-s20 is supposed to be the best but it is also more than double the price of WG-N10.
Probably if I were a good typist i wouldn't think about all this.

Last edited by pencilone; 02-22-2014 at 04:09 AM.