Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 07-24-2012, 07:57 AM   #1
Top100EbooksRank
Banned
Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
DOJ: Apple and B&N can continue to use agency pricing "exactly as before"

http://www.justice.gov/atr/cases/f285300/285315.pdf

Quote:
To the extent the proposed Final Judgment requires changes to the business relationship between retailers such as Apple and Settling Defendants, it ensures that retailers have more flexibility, not less. Apple’s stated position on this point is that “eBook retailers such as Apple and Barnes & Noble should be free to continue with the agency model without Government mandated changes.” Id. at 3. They are indeed free to do so. Nothing in the proposed Final Judgment would force Apple or B&N to exercise discounting authority - they are free to carry out their own businesses exactly as before. What they may not do is continue to rely on a conspiracy to restrain their competitors.

Last edited by Top100EbooksRank; 07-24-2012 at 08:08 AM.
Top100EbooksRank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 08:18 AM   #2
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
By all means, let Apple and B&N sell books $3~$5 higher than Amazon.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-24-2012, 08:22 AM   #3
Top100EbooksRank
Banned
Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
By all means, let Apple and B&N sell books $3~$5 higher than Amazon.
If you have a Nook, what option do you have if the book you want is $9.99 on Kindle and $12.99 or $14.99 on Nook? (beside removing the DRM, which most buyers don't know how).

Many Nook buyers wouldn't even know that the prices might be lower elsewhere.
Old 07-24-2012, 08:28 AM   #4
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top100EbooksRank View Post
If you have a Nook, what option do you have if the book you want is $9.99 on Kindle and $12.99 or $14.99 on Nook? (beside removing the DRM, which most buyers don't know how).

Many Nook buyers wouldn't even know that the prices might be lower elsewhere.
I don't have a problem with consumers paying different prices for the same item.
Old 07-24-2012, 08:33 AM   #5
Top100EbooksRank
Banned

Quote:
I don't have a problem with consumers paying different prices for the same item.
Same. That's how it should work in the world of retailing.

If B&N doesn't want to exercise its "discounting authority" sooner or later, buyers would notice. And the market will correct itself which will force B&N to compete.

Competition is a good thing. Same price for ebook is not.

eBook X: $14.99 on Amazon, B&N, Apple, Sony, Kobo, Googleplay. Where's the competition?

Last edited by Top100EbooksRank; 07-24-2012 at 08:35 AM.
Advert
Old 07-24-2012, 08:49 AM   #6
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
eBook X: $14.99 on Amazon, B&N, Apple, Sony, Kobo, Googleplay. Where's the competition?
Competition??? Project Gutenberg and public libraries

High prices find me seeking alternatives. If a favorite author becomes too expensive, I'll ditch him and find a cheaper author.

To me, there is no such thing as a must read author!
Old 07-24-2012, 08:55 AM   #7
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Try to buy a wiper blade for a Mercedes.
(A friend of mine bought a used MB. Nice car. Outrageous maintenance costs. Replaced it with a new VW GTI. Even better car, decent maintenance costs.)
Let each vendor price products according to their price structure and target market; they'll find their own customer base.

If epub compatibility matters to you, then the Adobe tax and a higher Nook price shouldn't bother you. But if *I* don't care, why shouuld I have to give Amazon more money (than they even want) just to match *your* pricing?

Besides, giving Amazon more money to play with is not going to lead to anything good for their opponents.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 08:58 AM   #8
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
For me, an equal or better book for $6 at Baen.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 09:42 AM   #9
xg4bx
Are you gonna eat that?
xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook STG
Quote:

thank you, i thought i was the only person who felt that way. as much as i like certain authors, i'm not gonna lose sleep if i miss their books.
xg4bx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 10:11 AM   #10
stonetools
Wizard
stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad, IPhone
Lets be blunt. The purpose of the agency model is to ensure that the publisher, not the retailer, sets the final price. By taking that way, the DOJ is in fact pushing the publishers back to the wholesale model, at least for the next two years. They are disingenuous in suggesting that they are not dictating a business model. In effect, they are, regardless of the formal wording.
stonetools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 10:19 AM   #11
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonetools View Post
Lets be blunt. The purpose of the agency model is to ensure that the publisher, not the retailer, sets the final price. By taking that way, the DOJ is in fact pushing the publishers back to the wholesale model, at least for the next two years. They are disingenuous in suggesting that they are not dictating a business model. In effect, they are, regardless of the formal wording.
It's called punishment.
Old 07-24-2012, 10:19 AM   #12
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by xg4bx View Post
thank you, i thought i was the only person who felt that way. as much as i like certain authors, i'm not gonna lose sleep if i miss their books.
Old 07-24-2012, 10:21 AM   #13
spindlegirl
Wizard
spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra h20, Paperwhite 2017, Phone & Tablet w Moonreader
Quote:
Competition??? Project Gutenberg and public libraries

High prices find me seeking alternatives. If a favorite author becomes too expensive, I'll ditch him and find a cheaper author.

I agree.
I cannot afford the latest and greatest and the prices that go with it in e format, so I choose affordable stuff.

And I love the public library. Reading doesn't need to be expensive. Even as a kid, before e-books, reading was a "poor man's" hobby, and it still can be. Expensive incarnations of books don't stop me from reading.

Once a week I also browse smashwords for freebies. Discovering new authors is great, and if I buy their books, they are drm-free and not too expensive.
spindlegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 10:37 AM   #14
stonetools
Wizard
stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad, IPhone
Quote:
It's called punishment.
Just so we understand what's really happening.

TBH, there's a lot of different ways Apple and the publishers can go with this . The old way was for the publisher to charge one price for a book, regardless of the retailer or pricing model. That might change.
stonetools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 10:43 AM   #15
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonetools View Post
Just so we understand what's really happening.
I think we've all understood what's really happening, in spite of the attempts by Apple and the opposing publishers to pretend this is about agency pricing.

The DoJ is not 'dictating a business model', they are dismantling a legal business model which was brought about by illegal collusion.

Graham
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote