Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 07-11-2012, 04:46 AM   #1
Top100EbooksRank
Banned
Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Taxes for online shopping gaining support in Congress and Amazon

http://www.chicagotribune.com/busine...,1334697.story

Quote:
A Web trade association that includes eBay, Overstock.com and Facebook is fighting the new bills. But notably, Amazon.com appears to have waved the white flag and supports the sales tax measures. Some analysts said they observe a shift by the online retailing leader, which could lead to a fundamental change to the rapidly growing e-commerce business.

Technically, when consumers shop online, they are supposed to pay sales tax by reporting it on their state tax returns. But as it turns out, Americans aren't always honest when it comes to paying their taxes.

For that reason, traditional retailers say that their online counterparts should collect sales tax when a consumer makes a purchase.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/busine...pWW_story.html

Quote:
The latest federal proposal — the Marketplace Equity Act — has strong bipartisan support and appears to be moving forward.

“We strongly support passage of the Marketplace Fairness Act because it’s time to resolve the sales tax issue,” said Scott Stanzel, a spokesman for Amazon.

The new bill exempts online businesses making less than $500,000 a year from collecting sales tax. NetChoice says that threshold is too low. It also notes that the amount states will gain from online sales taxes is less than 1 percent of total state tax revenue.

The measure, sponsored by Sens. Mike Enzi (R-Wyo.), Richard J. Durbin (D-Ill.) and 12 others, was introduced in November. The House Judiciary Committee is set to hold a hearing on it July 24.

Look like it will just be a matter of time.

Say hello to ebook sales tax.
Top100EbooksRank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 04:52 AM   #2
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
I have no problem with a sales tax for online purchases.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-11-2012, 05:04 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Speaking as a European, it's always seemed a strange anomaly that sales tax isn't charged for online purchases. It's terribly inconvenient for the consumer to have to declare online purchases on their tax return in order to pay to owed tax.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 05:07 AM   #4
Top100EbooksRank
Banned
Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Top100EbooksRank ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Speaking as a European, it's always seemed a strange anomaly that sales tax isn't charged for online purchases. It's terribly inconvenient for the consumer to have to declare online purchases on their tax return in order to pay to owed tax.
How many Americans actually do that?

1 out of 10,000?

Technically, when consumers shop online, they are supposed to pay sales tax by reporting it on their state tax returns. But as it turns out, Americans aren't always honest when it comes to paying their taxes.

Anyhow, I support online sales tax as long as it is fair for everyone.
Top100EbooksRank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 05:13 AM   #5
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Since most of the online stores I shop from have a physical presence in my state, I'm already charged a sales tax on my purchases. It's rare when I don't have to pay sales tax.

Even Amazon collects sales tax from me, because they have their headquarters here.
Advert
Old 07-11-2012, 05:15 AM   #6
danskmacabre
Guru
danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo. Galaxy Tab S 8.4
I assume we all automatically pay Sales tax/ Vat etc for online purchases here in the uk?
I never really thought about it tbh.
danskmacabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 05:17 AM   #7
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by danskmacabre View Post
I assume we all automatically pay Sales tax/ Vat etc for online purchases here in the uk?
I never really thought about it tbh.
Yes. Because there is a single national rate for sales tax, this is not an issue for retailers.
In the US, there can be multiple levels of sales tax (state, municipal), each of which can be different.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 05:18 AM   #8
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top100EbooksRank View Post
Washington doesn't have a state income tax. We have high sales taxes; well over 9%.
Old 07-11-2012, 05:20 AM   #9
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
In the US, there can be multiple levels of sales tax (state, municipal), each of which can be different.
Exactly! I pay a different rate when I shop in different cities and counties.
Old 07-11-2012, 06:16 AM   #10
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
In Georgia the retailer gets to keep a small percentage of the sales tax collected. This is supposed to offset the paperwork involved. Maybe Amazon has figured out a new revenue stream?
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 06:48 AM   #11
crossi
Guru
crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
I support it. It seems fair as long as it is the same as normal state/city sales tax. It is a lot easier for Amazon's servers to automatically take care of it than me having to note down every purchase and not lose the note among all my other scribbled notes.
crossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 07:17 AM   #12
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
I have an on topic question: The way the current laws are written I believe that you only pay sales taxes if the company you are buying from is in the same state you live in. Is this correct or do I have the law all wrong?
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 07:44 AM   #13
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Washington doesn't have a state income tax. We have high sales taxes; well over 9%.
New York has an income tax and I still pay 8.25% in sales tax. I'd consider Washington's situation a tax break.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 07:45 AM   #14
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
In Georgia the retailer gets to keep a small percentage of the sales tax collected. This is supposed to offset the paperwork involved. Maybe Amazon has figured out a new revenue stream?
Apache
Same in New York, which may well be why Amazon put up a half-hearted fight against collecting the sales tax here.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 07:52 AM   #15
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post
I have an on topic question: The way the current laws are written I believe that you only pay sales taxes if the company you are buying from is in the same state you live in. Is this correct or do I have the law all wrong?
My understanding was that sales tax was generally collected if the company you were buying from had a physical presence in your state - store, warehouse, headquarters. As usual, there were exceptions.