Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 03-15-2012, 03:36 PM   #1
Koboyashi
Zealot
Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
[Solution] Are you stuck on the older build of firmware 1.9.16 ?

To force an update with the newer build of firmware 1.9.16, connect your KT and open the file "version" (lives in the folder ".kobo") with a text editor. You'll see:
Code:
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx,2.6.35.3,1.9.16,2.6.35.3,2.6.35.3,00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000310
The most interesting part is 1.9.16 - always present if you have 1.9.16 installed (the other parts may differ, doesn't matter). Change this to 1.9.14 and save the file. Now you can start a normal update procedure, via desktop application or by hand, as described in several postings.

I have tested this a few times without loss of books or settings on my KT. Nevertheless, make a back up of the books.

Last edited by Koboyashi; 03-15-2012 at 05:44 PM. Reason: Serial obfuscated. Thanks, Peter :)
Koboyashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 04:49 PM   #2
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I know it's not a major thing, but the first field is the serial # of the Kobo; you might want to obfuscate it.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-16-2012, 06:51 AM   #3
Brianrh
Connoisseur
Brianrh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brianrh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brianrh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brianrh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brianrh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brianrh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brianrh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brianrh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brianrh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brianrh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brianrh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I didn't think that Kobo would issue newer builds of the same version of firmware. I have had my KT since Christmas and it has 1.9.16 firmware installed. Is it likely that this firmware will have been updated since I got it? Also are there many changes in this update(s) and are they worthwhile having?

Thanks.

Brian
Brianrh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 07:50 AM   #4
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Brianh; when 1.9.16 was released there was a bug that meant your selection as to which of the lists showed on your home page (ie Recommended / Shortlist / Featured / New Re;eases) did not stick, and you always went back to Recommended.

This was fixed the same day by a new build of 1.9.16, but since it had the same build number, people who had installed the original 1.9.16 did not get the new 1.9.16.

You could tell them apart by the build number shown in Settings | Device Info.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 11:32 AM   #5
Brianrh
Connoisseur
Brianrh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brianrh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brianrh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brianrh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brianrh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brianrh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brianrh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brianrh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brianrh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brianrh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brianrh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for that PeterT, I wasn't sure if I was missing out on any new features. I will check my home screen settings and operation when I get home from work.

Brian
Advert
Old 03-17-2012, 12:17 AM   #6
Xennex1170
Addict
Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
I guess it's not important now that the next version of the firmware was just released.
Xennex1170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 03:39 AM   #7
Brianrh
Connoisseur

I'm still with 1.9.16 at the moment until I am convinced that 1.9.17 is an improvement for most users. It does surprise me that updating the firmware gets such differing results for many people.