Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-23-2023, 01:03 PM   #1
falcon
falcon began at the beginning.

Device: PW1
USBnet install / ssh access

Hi Kindle Dev Community,

I have successfully installed jailbreak on my Kindle PW (after downgrading to 5.3.3). Now I would like to get ssh access via WiFi and understood that I should install the usbnet hack for this. It seems, that I did not succeed, for I cannot connect the device per ssh, using a Linux client. (Wifi connection of the device is established - it seems not to respond to pings, though).

What I am trying to do:
from kindle-usbnet-0.22.N-r18981.tar.xz I copied Update_usbnet_0.22.N_install_touch_pw.bin to the device's root. After disconnecting USB I expect to find an update through HOME->Menu->Settings->Menu, but no avail (update entry is grey).
When I reconnect USB, the .bin file is gone.

Did I miss something?

(What I also tried: I installed KUAL-v.2.7.29 and mrinstaller-1.7.M, because I thought they might be needed, too - but this did not help...)

Would be glad if anybody could help!

Thanks in advance!
falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2023, 05:37 PM   #2
KaMyKaSii
KaMyKaSii began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW4 (PQ94WIF)
Try to copy Update_usbnet_0.22.N_install_touch_pw.bin to the mrpackages folder and then run ";log mrpi" in the search bar
KaMyKaSii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2023, 04:20 AM   #3
SupremeJerk999
SupremeJerk999 began at the beginning.

Device: PW2/PW3/PW4
Good luck trying that. SSH is the one thing in the Kindle for which there seems not to be a single decent tutorial out there in the internet, anywhere.

Btw, you can brick your kindle trying that.

With a regular Kindle, in a firmware as low as you have where you can install pretty much anything, I wouldn't mess around with SSH unless there's a real reason to.
SupremeJerk999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2023, 11:43 PM   #4
Freshmaker
Bookworm
Freshmaker can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Freshmaker can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Freshmaker can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Freshmaker can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Freshmaker can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Freshmaker can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Freshmaker can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Freshmaker can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Freshmaker can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Freshmaker can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Freshmaker can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Kindle PW5, PW4
I just use the SSH server that's built into Koreader. Works like a charm.
Freshmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2023, 08:13 AM   #5
falcon

Thank you for your responses and suggestions - I only found them today (email notifications seemed not to work...).
I will post an update as soon as I found time to continue with the project.
Old 03-12-2023, 10:43 AM   #6
luketheduke
Connoisseur
luketheduke knows what's going on.luketheduke knows what's going on.luketheduke knows what's going on.luketheduke knows what's going on.luketheduke knows what's going on.luketheduke knows what's going on.luketheduke knows what's going on.luketheduke knows what's going on.luketheduke knows what's going on.luketheduke knows what's going on.luketheduke knows what's going on.

Device: PW3, PW2, KT2, 2xKT, 2xK3G
I feel like this is a situation where if you can't install it yourself, you probably shouldn't be messing around with it.

Just my 2 cents.
luketheduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2023, 10:53 AM   #7
katadelos
rm -rf /
katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.katadelos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K5, KT, KT2, KT3, KT4, KV, PW2, PW3, PW4, PW5
What a condescending and pointless thing to say

Just my 2 cents.
katadelos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2023, 07:39 AM   #8
tripleh
tripleh began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by SupremeJerk999 View Post
Good luck trying that. SSH is the one thing in the Kindle for which there seems not to be a single decent tutorial out there in the internet, anywhere.

Btw, you can brick your kindle trying that.

With a regular Kindle, in a firmware as low as you have where you can install pretty much anything, I wouldn't mess around with SSH unless there's a real reason to.

yeah i searched everywhere but didn't find anything ,but just to get idea can u give me short summary of use of SSH so I can dig more information
tripleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2023, 05:55 PM   #9
SupremeJerk999

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripleh View Post
yeah i searched everywhere but didn't find anything ,but just to get idea can u give me short summary of use of SSH so I can dig more information
I'm not very knowledgeable about how to do it on the Kindle. On this, I'm a tutorial follower, just like you. Someone correct if I say something wrong here.

However, I some experience with SSH and Linux in general, because at work I use that.

In a non-technical, general sense, SSH is two things at once:
  1. It's an encryption protocol (not very relevant for the Kindle, used to encrypt and log into stuff)
  2. It's a way to connect remotely to a Linux computer/device(what you're trying to do with your Kindle)

The only reason I can see for someone to ever want to mess with SSH on their Kindle is whether they're trying to delete and edit, rename and move system files around in the Kindle, namely, you're not afraid of killing it or if you're a developer (or both).

I was the first kind and had a beautiful, working Paperwhite 3. I installed USBNetwork, it didn't work, upon the next reboot, bang, it just froze on the boy under tree image.

That SSH Kindle went to the trash yesterday, its serial port didn't work for some reason, so I took the good parts (battery, screen, screws) and threw the rest away.
I killed other two before, another PW3 and a PW2, but in different ways
Not anyone's fault but mine, I'm curious and I don't care.

I'd be wary of doing stuff without reading carefully, having a clear purpose on why and understanding you may kill it.

Also, I do Arduino/embedded stuff as a hobby since a long time ago, I have experience messing with cables, bootloaders, flashing stuff, serial ports, bla bla bla etc. What I can say about the Kindle in particular is:
  1. 1. The community is extremely wise, as you can see from guys like katedelos, Nijule and others
  2. I don't like reading or interacting a lot, I'm good with reading carefully and following directions, so I didn't even have an account until recently
  3. Problem is, directions and tutorials here aren't always very detailed, they mostly assume you already know what you're doing. SSH is a strong example of that, where you're gonna find bits of information here and there, but not a consolidated, holding-your-hands tutorials
  4. Some stuff you do "right" and it just kills your Kindle. Not sure why, it happened twice before. One I installed KUAL and boom, it died, the other while jailbreaking
  5. People here are very busy, some devs are away since a long time ago because they apparently moved on from the Kindle
  6. In other words, if you brick your device, you may (or may not) be on your own, so unless you want to take that risk I'd say don't mess around too much, the Kindle is more sensible than say, an Android smartphone, or an arduino
Old 03-15-2023, 08:30 PM   #10
SupremeJerk999

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupremeJerk999 View Post
  • I don't like reading or interacting a lot, I'm good with reading carefully and following directions, so I didn't even have an account until recently
This should read like I don't like interacting a lot
Old 04-07-2023, 07:15 AM   #11
falcon

@katadelos: much appreciated

Just to make my intentions clear:
I would like to install the literary clock (https://www.instructables.com/Litera...From-E-reader/) on the PW, which I purchased solely for this purpose. To get it working, the system's crontab needs to be updated manually, which I would like to do via SSH.

I am hesitating to try too much on my own in order not to brick the device (which is a PW B024..., by the way).

Any well-informed suggestions?

BTW: I have a very well-founded linux background, so I can follow any technical instructions easily...

Tags
kindle, pw1, ssh, usbnet