Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 02-28-2017, 02:20 PM   #1
fredih
fredih began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Problem reading an ePub on my iPad 3

First, I'm not sure if this thread should be in the Apple Devices forum, so I apologize if I am posting it in the wrong place.

I am reading an ePub 3 on iBooks for iPad 3 and the TOC doesn't work; when I click on a section it sends me to the cover of the book.

The strange thing is the links on the nav do work!

My only conclusion is that the NCX file is damaged and is using it to generate the TOC. However, I tested my ePub on Kindle Previewer for windows and the TOC worked perfectly.

Someone has any idea of what could be my problem?

Edit: I forgot to say ePub validator didn't detect any issues on my ePub.
fredih is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 02:55 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
First off, what program are you using to read your ePub? Also, testing an ePub with Kindle preview is no good. Kindle preview converts the ePub ad you aren't reading the ePub as is.

Use ADE on your computer to test the ePub. Also, there are other programs for the iPad to read ePub such as MapleRead & Marvin.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 03:13 PM   #3
fredih

Thanks for your help. I'm using Sigil & Calibre to edit my ePub. To read it I use iBooks on my iPad 3.

I tested it on ADE (on windows 10) as you said, and it worked fine. The only software that is being problematic is iBooks.

I will test it on other apps on my iPad as soon as possible.
Old 03-01-2017, 03:53 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The problem with iBooks is that it doesn't always work with standard ePub. Sometimes you have to play games with the code to get it to work.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 02:51 PM   #5
fredih

After testing my eBook for several hours, I finally figured out what was causing problems:

First, I hadn't declared my TOC in the landmarks section.
Second, your TOC will not work on iBooks if your ePub has spaces in its file name.

Pretty weird bug, but at least I was able to figure out the solution.

Thanks for your help!
Old 03-02-2017, 10:46 PM   #6
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredih View Post
Second, your TOC will not work on iBooks if your ePub has spaces in its file name.
That may well be true for ePub3, but it certainly isn't true for ePub2. I have an ebook by Anton Chekhov called The Horse Stealer and Other Stories, and the ToC works perfectly well.

Yet another reason to stick with ePub2?
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 09:03 AM   #7
fredih

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBell View Post
Yet another reason to stick with ePub2?
Perhaps it is. I have always used ePub2 to make my eBooks. This was my first attempt at making an ePub3; it took me a lot of work to finish it. Although most setbacks were the result of my own inexperience with ePub3.

It is worth mentioning that this bug might not exist in more recent versions of the iPad.

Tags
epub, ibooks, ipad