Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 05-19-2016, 07:20 PM   #1
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Development support hardware

A shameless plea for money.

You're too late, the goal has been reached.
Spoiler:

Yes, one of those rare occasions has come around again.
We need a few donations "to the cause".

The recipient will be NiLuJe.
I will be the organizer / tax collector / call me whatever name you will.
Donations to be co-ordinated by PM to myself.

Although if you want to go public with information on your contribution, this thread is the place for it.

If you don't recognize the contributions made to this forum by NiLuJe, check this link:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=225030
Those are all of the 'basics' that people want/need and he has been keeping them up to date for a long time now.

The situation we face now
The USB networking package is a 'critical package' for many Kindle, after-market purposes.

There is a conflict between the USB networking package and the new Amazon Voice View feature that needs to be found / tested / fixed.

NiLuJe does not have the PW-3/VV/Serial port hardware required.

So I have volunteered myself to organize this fund raising effort.
I have also volunteered to do the serial port addition and handle the shipping and what-not of getting this done.

All of you people who are enjoying your custom screensavers and custom fonts should take special note of this request.

The package to NiLuJe will be:
PW-3 ( http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OQVZDJM/ )
less Special Offers ( follow customize link of above page to add $20 )
plus VoiceView dongle ( http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ZGVVG92?tag=mr060-20 )
plus custom serial port addition (no charge for my labor on that, just parts cost), see:
http://www.digikey.com/product-detai...070-ND/2441359
plus a connector to be specified later ( less than $3 for both male/female parts)
(And I promise not to take 6 months to do the job - like I took for doing my own.)

Contact me via PM if interested in helping out.

Public comments to this thread please.

Last edited by pdurrant; 05-29-2016 at 03:15 AM. Reason: typo
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 08:28 PM   #2
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
I can donate a spare "cheap-ass" sound dongle (proven working) and a USB OTG cable (if I can find one -- I gave most of them to friends). And we can save the one-month shipping from China. I no longer have "spare money"...

The postage to you would cost more than the $1.48 in parts. BTW, these sound dongles snap apart and the thick parts are USB jack, the headphone and microphone jacks, and a couple of thru-hole capacitors. It could have the thick parts removed or reloacted, and be comfotably glued inside a kindle, I think. Perhaps we can wire it to the unused 3G USB instead of the "usbnet" USB? But that would require a bit of kernel module reconfiguration -- prehaps not yet worth the effort, and prone to firmware update breakage, perhaps.

My original goal for these USB sound dongles was for K4 sound support. Now that I am studying Kernel Module development AND toolchain building, perhaps I can actually do that soon.

EDIT: Actually, I think I will remove that thick USB jack from my sound dongle, snip off the thick end of the OTG cable, and solder the two together. I could also remove the audio jacks and solder in a headset. That would convert it into a USB headset, and if I move those capacitors to the side of the board (or replace them with equivalent surface-mount capacitors), it would be much smaller and thinner.

Last edited by geekmaster; 05-19-2016 at 08:48 PM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-19-2016, 08:46 PM   #3
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The same situation here, no 'spare money'.

This thread may be against forum rules, but since NiLuJe is our moderator . . . .
Old 05-19-2016, 08:48 PM   #4
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
I have never seen spare money.
Do you accept Amazon gift cards?
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 08:50 PM   #5
geekmaster
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
This thread may be against forum rules, but since NiLuJe is our moderator . . . .
Why? We did this for YifanLu. Have the rules changed since then?
Advert
Old 05-19-2016, 08:51 PM   #6
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
I have never seen spare money.
Do you accept Amazon gift cards?
If Amazon does, I guess I do.
Most of the funds are going to be spent with them anyway.

Otherwise, I will use a paypal address for collections.
Old 05-19-2016, 09:06 PM   #7
geekmaster

I linked this thread to a relevant post in the parent forum. I hope they are tolerant enough to allow it (though past experience shows they enforce stricter rules than our little "Corner"):

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...52#post3320752
Old 05-20-2016, 12:03 AM   #8
TinyApps.Org
Enthusiast
TinyApps.Org herds cats with both ease and graceTinyApps.Org herds cats with both ease and graceTinyApps.Org herds cats with both ease and graceTinyApps.Org herds cats with both ease and graceTinyApps.Org herds cats with both ease and graceTinyApps.Org herds cats with both ease and graceTinyApps.Org herds cats with both ease and graceTinyApps.Org herds cats with both ease and graceTinyApps.Org herds cats with both ease and graceTinyApps.Org herds cats with both ease and graceTinyApps.Org herds cats with both ease and grace

Device: e-ink monitor
Hi knc1,

Thanks for organizing this effort.

Can you please link to the required PW-3/VV/Serial port hardware?
TinyApps.Org is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 12:42 AM   #9
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyApps.Org View Post
Hi knc1,

Thanks for organizing this effort.

Can you please link to the required PW-3/VV/Serial port hardware?
done - see first post
Old 05-20-2016, 08:36 AM   #10
geekmaster

Well, that was quick. It took a lot more cheerleading to get a kindle for YifanLu back in the day.

I took a look at the usbnet script, and it assumes that if usbnet is not loaded we are in usbms mode. It apparently needs to unload the usbOTG gadget or something. Not sure if it was usbnet causing a problem, but even usbms did not work after the usb sound donge had been plugged in -- the PW3 was not even recognized as a USB device (no VID/PID) until after it was rebooted.

I am curious how it switches between OTG and usbms mode NORMALLY, because that is the process that usbnet needs to emulate or hijack (depending on how deeply it needs to couple).

In any case, a fun new project for NiLuJe, and he should enjoy that awesome hi-res display (on which Big Buck Bunny only consumes a bit over a quarter of the display). You could play four of my videos simultaneously on the PW3 (if you don't mind cropping them a bit, but films are made with important action in the "overscan safe area" anyway).

Last edited by geekmaster; 05-20-2016 at 09:06 AM.
Old 05-20-2016, 09:02 AM   #11
knc1
Going Viral

And the searchbar USBnet command takes start/stop arguments that NiLuJe isn't using.
So there are possiblities there also.

Ref:
/usr/share/webkit-1.0/pillow/debug_cmds.json
and the scripts it calls.

Note:
/usr/local/bin
is not shipped with the production Kindles (although NiLuJe adds it back with the USBnetwork install).
the /usr/bin and /usr/sbin scripts are shipped.

Last edited by knc1; 05-20-2016 at 09:05 AM.
Old 05-20-2016, 09:10 AM   #12
geekmaster

I just noticed that the "cheap-ass" USB sound dongles are now on sale for $0.88 USD (with free shipping), if you do not mind waiting for a slow boat from China:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/231904647109

Of course, you might need to order one from ebay just for the 88-cent bragging rights, eh?
Old 05-20-2016, 09:48 AM   #13
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Well, that was kind of impressive. I don't really know what to say, so I'll keep it short and sweet: thanks, everyone . Promise I'll try to take good care of it and do fun stuff with it .
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 09:53 AM   #14
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
I just noticed that the "cheap-ass" USB sound dongles are now on sale for $0.88 USD (with free shipping), if you do not mind waiting for a slow boat from China:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/231904647109

Of course, you might need to order one from ebay just for the 88-cent bragging rights, eh?
Plus those have a mic input.
Something else to play with.
Old 05-20-2016, 09:57 AM   #15
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
Well, that was kind of impressive. I don't really know what to say, so I'll keep it short and sweet: thanks, everyone . Promise I'll try to take good care of it and do fun stuff with it .
Earphones I have, I'll include a set in the package.

The mic/headphone China-Dongles that GM links to - I don't have those.
But the mic input might be fun to play with.