Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 04-01-2019, 06:33 AM   #1
ombillibable
ombillibable began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen.)
HTML5/CSS3 Support for Kindle's Experimental Browser

Hi, I'm trying to design a static web page to be viewed primarily in the experimental browser on my Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen.). My firmware is reasonably up-to-date, the last update was not more than a few months ago. The page design is very straightforward, I'm just looking to display a book's cover with the title and author's name written alongside (image attached here). My approach is to use flexboxes, very straightforward with boxes nested and margins and paddings set to some trial-and-error values. However, my webpage renders fine on the computer and mobile (tested for both Firefox and Chrome), but the rendering goes bonkers on the Kindle Paperwhite's experimental browser. I'm guessing that this arises out of the Experimental Browser's faulty/incomplete implementation of HTML5/CSS3, but I'm unable to find any documentation about the same, so could someone help me out here? I'm kinda out of my depth, as I'm only an amateur programmer with zero experience in web development in general.

ombillibable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 02:17 PM   #2
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
The "Experimental Browser" is built on webkit but is otherwise part of Amazon's proprietary code.
So the only place there is documentation is in their corporate safe.

Try our build of SkipStone browser (posted on this forum).
The build is rather old by now, you may have to re-build with the current SkipStone browser source.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 06:33 AM   #3
ombillibable
ombillibable began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen.)
Actually, it seems that with the right CSS prefixes, things seem to be working fine. As you said, the Experimental Browser is based on webkit so adding the right webkit prefixes to my CSS code seemed to solve all issues. Thanks for replying!
ombillibable is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
css3, experimental browser, html5, kindle paperwhite