Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 12-04-2017, 07:38 PM   #1
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
Need a Book series recommendation

I am looking for a book series to read from a well known author but nothing super big like Alex Cross. I hear its 26 books deep and there is no way Ill ever get caught up. Maybe a series that is no more than 3 -4 books in. It can be horror, sci-fi, Mystery, thrillers, suspence but I am big in horror and science fiction. Thank you. Do not include Arthur C Clarke for I already have almost every one of his books and short stories
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 10:28 PM   #2
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Not a lot to go on, but here are some shorter SF series I liked a lot:

Peter Watts, Blindsight/Echopraxia (2 books, omnibus "Firefall")
-- Hard SF with an intense atmosphere verging on horror.

Robert J. Sawyer, The Neanderthal Parallax (3 books starting with "Hominids")
-- Clever alternative/parallel history setting, social contrasts.

C. J. Cherryh, The Morgaine Cycle (4 books, omnibus "The Complete Morgaine")
-- Science fantasy, bleak setting, great relationship between two main characters.

Karen Traviss, The Wess'har Wars (6 shortish books starting with "City of Pearl")
-- Nicely imagined alien cultures, ethics and politics. Ambitious, with a few easily-forgiven flaws.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 06:14 AM   #3
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
The Empire of Man series by David Weber and John Ringo. There are 4 books in the series.
Apache
Apache is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 09:34 PM   #4
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
I'm reading the Odd Thomas series by Dean Koontz.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 10:45 AM   #5
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
The series by Barry Hughart.

And for that matter, the Kai Lung books.

I'll let you do some of the 'look-up' work, for the rewards will be sweet, indeed.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 11:17 AM   #6
cjr72
Groupie
cjr72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cjr72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cjr72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cjr72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cjr72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cjr72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cjr72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cjr72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cjr72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cjr72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cjr72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 6p, Nexus 10
The Takeshi Kovacs Novels by Richard K. Morgan. It's a three book sci fi noir series.
cjr72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 10:35 AM   #7
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
Just an FYI, you can dabble in the Alex Cross series without feeling forced to read them all. I say that because that is how I approach that series, still having not read them all. The protagonist persists and evolves but the stories are generally begun and ended in the same single book.

Lots of good suggestions in the thread already. I see Peter Watts mentioned so I'd add his Rifter trilogy as a SF/thriller mixture with some elements of horror.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 03:44 PM   #8
hildea
Wizard
hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Touch Lux (had Onyx Boox Poke 3 and BeBook Neo earlier)
Some great series with a few books:

Science fiction:

Ann Leckie: Ancillary Justice, triology. The protagonist used to be an AI controlling a huge spaceship and thousands of soldier units (made from prisoners of war). When the book begins the ship is gone and she has just one soldier unit left.

Kind of thriller/horror (but also really funny, in between all the horrible stuff happening):
Sarah Rees Brennan: Demon's Lexicon. Nick and Alan are brothers, and have been on the run from magicians their whole lives. But when a demon marks Alan, they have to stop running.
Sarah Rees Brennan: Lynburn Legacy. A gothic novel, about what happens when the manor family returns to the village Sorry-in-the-Vale. And why Kami's imaginary friend maybe isn't all that imaginary after all.
Both these are triologies, and both have cliffhanger endings in at least one of the books.
Here's a short story from the Demon's Lexicon universe (a prequel), so you can see if you like her way of writing. (Note: She has more short stories on her website, but a lot of them are spoilery.)
hildea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 04:06 PM   #9
curtw
Outside of a dog
curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Maybe David Brin's "Uplift" books? Three stand-alone novels set in the same universe, and if you like those, there's a follow-on trilogy.
curtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 04:32 PM   #10
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
Not a lot to go on, but here are some shorter SF series I liked a lot:

Peter Watts, Blindsight/Echopraxia (2 books, omnibus "Firefall")
-- Hard SF with an intense atmosphere verging on horror.

Robert J. Sawyer, The Neanderthal Parallax (3 books starting with "Hominids")
-- Clever alternative/parallel history setting, social contrasts.

C. J. Cherryh, The Morgaine Cycle (4 books, omnibus "The Complete Morgaine")
-- Science fantasy, bleak setting, great relationship between two main characters.

Karen Traviss, The Wess'har Wars (6 shortish books starting with "City of Pearl")
-- Nicely imagined alien cultures, ethics and politics. Ambitious, with a few easily-forgiven flaws.
The first sounds interesting
Old 12-07-2017, 04:33 PM   #11
HLS
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
I'm reading the Odd Thomas series by Dean Koontz.
I read a few. I liked the first two anf got bored on the 3rd but i am thinking od taking it up again
Old 12-08-2017, 09:10 AM   #12
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcladyz View Post
I read a few. I liked the first two anf got bored on the 3rd but i am thinking od taking it up again
I have the first one, but I haven't yet read it.

In looking over a few reviews, some readers say they laughed and cried (presumably not at the same time.) What is it about this series? And what was it about the 3rd book that you got bored with when reading it?

-- Thanks.
Old 12-08-2017, 09:46 AM   #13
kansaskyle
Addict
kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & Forma, Kindle Voyage, PW, and Oasis 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
I have the first one, but I haven't yet read it.

In looking over a few reviews, some readers say they laughed and cried (presumably not at the same time.) What is it about this series?
-- Thanks.
I really enjoyed the Odd Thomas series. They are fun, quirky books where a young man named Odd Thomas can see and interact with the dead. There is a reason for this brought out in the series, which ultimately serves a purpose. Odd even meets some famous dead people like Elvis!

I did find the books took a bit darker twist later in the series. Overall, I found them enjoyable. They did include bits of humor and sadness -- but, not at the same time as you presumed!
kansaskyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 10:04 AM   #14
Luffy
Wizard
Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luffy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4
The last act of the first Odd Thomas book made me cry. I also cried when watching the movie.
Luffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 10:13 AM   #15
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kansaskyle View Post
I really enjoyed the Odd Thomas series. They are fun, quirky books where a young man named Odd Thomas can see and interact with the dead. There is a reason for this brought out in the series, which ultimately serves a purpose. Odd even meets some famous dead people like Elvis!

I did find the books took a bit darker twist later in the series. Overall, I found them enjoyable. They did include bits of humor and sadness -- but, not at the same time as you presumed!

Thank you for the info.

Sounds like the light side of Brian Lumley's Necroscope series.

Well, I have that first one. I suppose I really should read it.