Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 02-01-2023, 09:18 PM   #16
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Andrew North what gender?
Female. Pseudonym for Andre Norton.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2023, 09:26 PM   #17
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elerinna View Post
The more I read, the more I realize that I enjoy knowing the lives of the authors I read, and knowing their gender. At the moment I am very interested in Toni Morrison and Jack Kerouac and their biography seems exciting to me
But actually as said above I can create a database and generate a link related to the author, or use the link that simply refers to Wikipedia.
It is especially at the gender level that I would have liked to find a solution because I wanted to know what my proportion of male author was compared to that of female author
My experience has been that many of the autobiographical snippets for authors are more fictional than their books. Much like Quoth, I once ran into a comment that over 25% of Harlequin/Mills & Boon author stable were male.

Using an author mentioned by theducks, I have read and enjoyed many books by Andre Norton some of which were originally published under her Andrew North pseudonym (the Solar Queen series for instance).

I do have one friend who insists that I should be reading 50% female authors to which my response for years has been that I care about their writing not their plumbing.
Advert
Old 02-02-2023, 12:32 AM   #18
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I don't record gender in my Authors 'library', but a quick eyeball scan suggests 60-70% are women, possibly because I read a lot of historical biographies. I have 37 biographies of women, only 2 of which were written by men -- about the same woman -- guess who
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2023, 10:07 AM   #19
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Female. Pseudonym for Andre Norton.
And she had a good reason at the time: Publishers of the time did not believe SF would be bought if the writer was female. Boy were they wrong
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2023, 10:12 AM   #20
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
To muddle 'gender selection' importance:
My record / CD collection has a number of works that the gender of the original release (what I have) is no longer the same. Some later releases adjusted the jackets, others remain.
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-02-2023, 10:39 AM   #21
isarl
Addict
isarl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.isarl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.isarl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.isarl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.isarl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.isarl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.isarl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.isarl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.isarl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.isarl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.isarl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
And she had a good reason at the time: Publishers of the time did not believe SF would be bought if the writer was female. Boy were they wrong
I regret not having sent any fan mail to Ursula K. Le Guin before she passed. What a legend. May I ask some of your favourite female SF authors to check out for myself? Edit: if you have a favourite author you want to share who isn't female, or whom you're not sure about, please share them too, by all means! The more, the merrier. (Sorry if this is off-topic!)
isarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2023, 02:12 PM   #22
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Hmmmm... Andre Norton, Ursula K; Le Guin, Octavia E. Butler, Anne McCaffrey, C. J. Cherryh, Anne McCaffery, C. L. Moore, Leigh Brackett, Catherine Asaro, Joanna Russ, Kate Wilhelm, James Tiptree Jr., Lois McMaster Bujold, N. K. Jemisin, Cassandra Clare, Sherry S, Tepper, Rachel Caine, Mercedes Lackey, Zenna Henderson, Connie Willis, Thea von Harbou, etc., etc. Almost forgot Mary Shelley.

Sorry but I've been collecting and reading science fiction and fantasy for more decades than I care to think about so the above are some of the names that popped up from my calibre author listing.
Old 02-02-2023, 02:56 PM   #23
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Janny Wurts.
Loads of others.

You Like Anne McCaffery twice as much? But loads of great stuff there.

In Non-SF&F and not modern in my Library (paper & eBook):
Mrs Margaret Oliphant, Angela Thirkell, Jane Austin, three Brontës, esp Charlotte, Evelyn Sharp (The tax man seized her typewriter), Elinor Brent-Dyer, Noel Stretfeld, Jean Webster, L.T. Meade, Enid Blyton, Angela Brazil, Elsie J. Oxenham [Elsie Jeanette Dunkerley], Mazo de la Roche, Margery Allingham, Ngaio Marsh, Agatha Christie, Joan Aiken, Mary Roberts Rinehart, Georgette Heyer, Dorothy Sayers, Alice Bertha Gomme, Mrs Loudon, Mrs Henry Wood, Geraldine Bonner, Pearl S. Buck, Harper Lee (really only one book). Frances Hodgson Burnett, Agnes Castle, Elisabeth Chadwick, Lady Guest, Susan Coolidge, Elizabeth Daly (great Gamadge Detective/Mystery), Simon Dare (ps. of Marjorie Huxtable), Gordon Daviot aka Josephine Tay aka Elizabeth Mackintosh, Mary De Morgan, Duchess, Edith Dunton, Eleanor Farjeon, Antonia Forest aka Patricia Rubinstein, Elizabeth Cleghorn Gaskell, Elizabeth Goudge, Anna Katharine Green, Lady Augusta Gregory, Mildred Birt, Florence Finch Kelly, Mrs Lang (Husband famous Andrew Lang), Marion Florence Lansing, Mrs Leighton, Rose Macaulay, Mary (Esther Miller) MacGregor, Florence Marryat, Mrs Molesworth, L.M. Montgomery, Edith Nesbit (not just kids stories), Baroness Orczy, Ann Radcliffe, Eliza Parsons, Eleanor H. Porter, Beatrix Potter, Katherine Pyle, Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings, Mary Roberts Rinehart, Martin Ross & E. Oe. Somerville (both ladies), Christina Georgina Rossetti, Dorothy Sayers, Molly Elliot Seawell, comtesse de Sophie Ségur, Anna Sewell, Margaret Sidney, Evelyn E. Smith (SF, not E E "Doc" Smith), Harriet Lummis Smith, Mary Stewart (some Fantasy), Harriet Beecher Stowe, Rosemary Sutcliff, Florence Warden, Jean Webster, Patricia Wentworth, Charlotte M. Yonge, Madame d' Aulnoy.

Many more. Those are mostly but not all PD now.

And don't sneer at kids stories till you can write stuff still popular 50 years later! Fairy stories and Folktales originally just as much for adults if not more so.

Last edited by Quoth; 02-02-2023 at 03:44 PM.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2023, 07:30 PM   #24
isarl
Addict
isarl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.isarl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.isarl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.isarl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.isarl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.isarl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.isarl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.isarl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.isarl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.isarl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.isarl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura 2
Thank you both for the wonderful recommendations!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
And don't sneer at kids stories
Never. To quote C.S. Lewis:

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.S. Lewis, “Of other worlds: essays and stories”
Critics who treat 'adult' as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. And in childhood and adolescence they are, in moderation, healthy symptoms. Young things ought to want to grow. But to carry on into middle life or even into early manhood this concern about being adult is a mark of really arrested development. When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.
isarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2023, 04:03 AM   #25
Doum
Connoisseur
Doum began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Hi, perhaps , add in in the url field an icon directly linked to amazone authors pages
(exemple : https://www.amazon.com/stores/author/B001IGFHW6/about)
Doum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2023, 07:24 AM   #26
Sarmat89
Evangelist
Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Calibre does not support book authors as separate entities. There are many library catalogizers which use a proper RDBMS model and have many useful properties and features for authors, translators, etc.
Sarmat89 is offline   Reply With Quote