Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 11-08-2008, 07:38 PM   #1
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Blues reading

Say, I got an incredibly huge blues feeling tonight.
Time to cuddle in bed with some nice tea with a shot of rum, listening to Robert Johnson and pity myself. Now I need a good book to feel even worse. Any recommendations?
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 08:18 PM   #2
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
How can you read while listening to Robert Johnson, he needs ALL your attention.

How about a newspaper, that is depressing enough.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-09-2008, 03:27 AM   #3
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Depressing (yet wonderful) reads??

Orwell's "1984" is pretty bleak.
John Steinbeck
William Trevor
Ian McEwan
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 03:41 AM   #4
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
If you want to feel really bad, I suggest Primo Levi's If This Is A Man, but that might be taking it to a particularly extreme despair beyond that desired. For more of a melancholy tone, perhaps some Annie Proulx. I recommend Accordion Crimes, which I reckon could shake a stick at a "great American novel" title, though The Shipping News might have a less grand aim but greater confluence with your state of mind.

Cheers,
Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 04:41 AM   #5
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by montsnmags View Post
If you want to feel really bad, I suggest Primo Levi's If This Is A Man, but that might be taking it to a particularly extreme despair beyond that desired. For more of a melancholy tone, perhaps some Annie Proulx. I recommend Accordion Crimes, which I reckon could shake a stick at a "great American novel" title, though The Shipping News might have a less grand aim but greater confluence with your state of mind.

Cheers,
Marc
Hey thanks, Marc. Sounds blue. Gotta try that one
Advert
Old 11-09-2008, 01:47 PM   #6
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
If you feel that way for the whole duration of a book reading, man your bouts of blues are long!

That borders on depression... unless you like the feeling.

My blues is work.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 02:16 PM   #7
mtravellerh
book creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by yvanleterrible View Post
If you feel that way for the whole duration of a book reading, man your bouts of blues are long!

My blues is work.
The bouts are long, yes. Depression? Na, I guess I just like the melancholy, especially on lazy, wet weekends like this.
Old 11-10-2008, 01:05 AM   #8
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by yvanleterrible View Post

My blues is work.
I can't talk for anyone else, but sometimes for me a melancholy book (as opposed to Levi's downright "depressing", not to mention "horrifying") is an unexpected and counter-intuitive way of roping that black dog and riding the evil mongrel out of the drowned woods of depression.

Cheers,
Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 03:46 AM   #9
mtravellerh
book creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by montsnmags View Post
I can't talk for anyone else, but sometimes for me a melancholy book (as opposed to Levi's downright "depressing", not to mention "horrifying") is an unexpected and counter-intuitive way of roping that black dog and riding the evil mongrel out of the drowned woods of depression.

Cheers,
Marc
Well put
Old 11-15-2008, 06:54 PM   #10
mgrunk
Zealot
mgrunk has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505
I know it's been a few days - but to file away:

The Secret Life of Bees - not terribly aching, but it runs throughout

Never Let Me Go - Kazuo Ishiguro (gleaned from MR)

The Sparrow - Maria Doria Russell

Duma Key - Stephen King -creepy, but angsty too

The Kite Runner - Khaled Hosseini

The Road by Cormac Mccarthy (postapocalyptic)

Light on Snow - Anita Shreve - heart achy throughout

A Map of the World - Jane Hamilton

I wouldn't call any of them great, classic literature - but I've re-read many of them when in the mood.
mgrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 07:53 PM   #11
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I second The Sparrow. It'll have you ripping your wrists in no time!
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 08:22 PM   #12
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
I second The Sparrow. It'll have you ripping your wrists in no time!
Do NOT start reading The Sparrow unless you can put your hands on the sequel (Children of God). I was extremely agitated when I read the end of The Sparrow at 10:30 am so I ran out on my lunch hour to pick up the sequel. I cannot imagine how I would have felt if I had read The Sparrow before Russell had finished Children of God.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 05:56 AM   #13
mtravellerh
book creator

"Are not two sparrows sold for a farthing? and one of them shall not fall on the ground without your Father."

That the one?

I already read that and enjoyed it, too
Old 11-16-2008, 06:01 AM   #14
mtravellerh
book creator

Know what?

I read "Ghost" some days ago. That one really brought me down, Never read such a gory, racist, nonsensical sh*t before. And to say that I had some respect for Ringo before.

Couldn't finish it, by the way. Just couldn't stomach it. Geez!
Old 11-16-2008, 04:42 PM   #15
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Would Thomas E. Sniegoski's "A Kiss Before the Apocalypse" meet your definition of "bluesy" book?
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote