Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 02-03-2023, 02:10 PM   #1
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Best way to denote that a book has other editions?

A few public domain books I maintain two book records; one for a physical copy, and the other for Standard Ebooks/Project Gutenberg copy.

What would be the best way to denote in the book record that this book has a duplicate? I was thinking of putting something like duplicate:[####] in my administrative tags column, where #### is the ID of the other edition. But other ideas are welcome.

ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2023, 04:03 PM   #2
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I would put show-book links into the Related/#related custom column of both book records, I do similar for same book in different languages/translation etc.

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2023, 11:43 AM   #3
nqk
Fanatic
nqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Onyx Boox Leaf
Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
A few public domain books I maintain two book records; one for a physical copy, and the other for Standard Ebooks/Project Gutenberg copy.

What would be the best way to denote in the book record that this book has a duplicate? I was thinking of putting something like duplicate:[####] in my administrative tags column, where #### is the ID of the other edition. But other ideas are welcome.

You can consider your physical books as a "format". Prepare an empty txt file, change the extension to .paperback or .hardback or whatever you like, then add that to your existing ebook.

I have all my physical books catalogued in Calibre this way, and it works just fine.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk
nqk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2023, 11:52 AM   #4
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
That's what I usually do. In this case, the two editions I want to keep separate.
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2023, 12:16 PM   #5
nqk
Fanatic
nqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beautynqk does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Onyx Boox Leaf
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
I would put show-book links into the Related/#related custom column of both book records, I do similar for same book in different languages/translation etc.

BR
Can you elaborate further? Book links?

nqk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2023, 04:01 PM   #6
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nqk View Post
Can you elaborate further? Book links?

See ==> The calibre:// URL scheme

Added in Nov 2020 - version 5.5. For me, best enhancement ever (i.e. since 2012)

BR
Old 02-04-2023, 04:22 PM   #7
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nqk View Post
You can consider your physical books as a "format". Prepare an empty txt file, change the extension to .paperback or .hardback or whatever you like, then add that to your existing ebook.

I have all my physical books catalogued in Calibre this way, and it works just fine.
I do that too, but if I also have or acquire a published ebook version, it's usually a different edition from a different Publisher etc, so I may choose to split and link them.

Added: I also value the fact that I can see the "Related" column in the book list as an icon only column, if present it draws my attention to Book Details. I can also edit the column from the Book List.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 02-04-2023 at 10:31 PM.
Old 02-09-2023, 01:00 PM   #8
Colonel Cathcart
Addict
Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colonel Cathcart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post

BR
Exactly what I was looking for, thank you!
Colonel Cathcart is offline   Reply With Quote