Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 01-30-2023, 08:45 AM   #1
DigiCam1
Enthusiast
DigiCam1 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
full-text search does not work properly

The full-text search does not work properly. I archive newspaper articles on specific topics. I summarize all articles in a book. Above each article is the author. The book is indexed. If I now e.g. For example, if you enter "Müller" as a search term, only the first article by Müller in the book will appear. All other hits with "Müller" are not displayed.

How can I ensure that all occurrences of "Müller" are displayed?

I use Calibre 6.11
DigiCam1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2023, 08:46 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
full text searches finds *one* match per book. Once you have found a matching book, you open the book and search inside it for further matches.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2023, 01:57 AM   #3
DigiCam1
Enthusiast

Hi kovidgoyal,
Thanks for the answer. But that would mean that I might get 1000 books displayed when I entered the name "Müller" and then, in order to find all the contributions by "Müller", I would have to open each book and start the search again. In my opinion, the search function no longer makes sense. When doing a full-text search, I assumed - as is usually the case - that it would show all books in which the name "Müller" appears.
Old 02-03-2023, 02:27 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It's not usually the case. The most widely used full text search on the planet, google search works exactly like this. It finds one match per page/site.

The purpose of FTS is not to count number of occurrences of a word in your library. Its to find a book from your library that matches a search criteria.

If that's not the purpose you want to use it for, then use a different tool.
Old 02-03-2023, 06:09 PM   #5
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigiCam1 View Post
Hi kovidgoyal,
Thanks for the answer. But that would mean that I might get 1000 books displayed when I entered the name "Müller" and then, in order to find all the contributions by "Müller", I would have to open each book and start the search again. In my opinion, the search function no longer makes sense. When doing a full-text search, I assumed - as is usually the case - that it would show all books in which the name "Müller" appears.
The bolded part of the quote is exactly what FTS does. However, it does not distinguish between a book that has "Müller" in it once, twice or 200 times, each book in which the search string appears will be shown once in the search results. If you want to see how many times "Müller" appears in a specific book, you will need to open the book and run a search on that book.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2023, 02:50 AM   #6
DigiCam1
Enthusiast

Hi DNSB, I expressed myself wrong there. I actually expect a full-text search to show me the term "Müller" as often as it is contained in one or all books. A real full-text search is not about showing just one term per book, but all of them. How else can I be sure that I already have the item or not. So, in my opinion, the full-text search makes no sense.
Old 02-10-2023, 04:46 AM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigiCam1 View Post
Hi DNSB, I expressed myself wrong there. I actually expect a full-text search to show me the term "Müller" as often as it is contained in one or all books. A real full-text search is not about showing just one term per book, but all of them. How else can I be sure that I already have the item or not. So, in my opinion, the full-text search makes no sense.
Then dont use it.
Old 02-10-2023, 05:17 AM   #8
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
When I want to do additional searching, I use 'select all matched books' and then action chains 'open with' action to pass the folder paths to Agent Ransack (alas, epub search is a paid feature).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2023-02-10 06_17_20-Open With.png
Views:	41
Size:	17.2 KB
ID:	199609   Click image for larger version

Name:	2023-02-10 06_22_28-Search the text of all books in the library.png
Views:	39
Size:	82.5 KB
ID:	199610   Click image for larger version

Name:	2023-02-10 06_23_11-1 files found - Search_ contrary in D__Documents_My Books_Frances Hodgson Bu.png
Views:	40
Size:	72.0 KB
ID:	199611  

Last edited by ownedbycats; 02-10-2023 at 05:35 AM. Reason: additional screenshots
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2023, 05:31 PM   #9
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
The X1 Search application will display highlighted text in a preview panel. It can index and preview DOCX, PDF, XLSX etc, but not ebook types like EPUB, LIT etc. Its primary target is large multi user environments.

I used X1 for a while on a business development project, when the project became a LOB function we outsourced it to a 3rd party. When X1 switched to SaaS pricing I decided I could live without it. We hooked X1 into calibre via the Drop Search Results plugin, which also works with similar tools like Windows Search, File Locator Pro, etc.

I've attached a screenshot from the X1 site.

BR
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	x1_scrnshot_fidelity_preview_list_900.png
Views:	37
Size:	444.3 KB
ID:	199629  
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote