Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 01-14-2019, 01:10 AM   #1
Donelwero
Donelwero began at the beginning.

Device: Clara HD
Help me choose my first ereader

Hi, I'm from Mexico. I write this because I think problems start there.

I've been looking now for a week for the best reader I can buy. I don't want to spend much money as I just want a good one with the possibility to change color temperature of the screen, I don't see myself using the device for any other thing but reading books, so I'm looking for the best option where I can sideload the tons of pdfs and repubs I have, I just want to sideload my books, read them and switch the temperature color of the screen at night. I use this feature in my Galaxy Note 8 and I'm really used to reading with inverted colors (white font, black background) because I used to get a lot of headaches with the normal colors.

My first option was the Nook Glowlight 3. But everyone says that is really slow. I can get it for 99 usd.

Then I have the option to buy a Paperwhite 3 for 85 usd (used). Those idiots at Amazon Mexico don't have the PW4, they are still selling PW3 for 115 usd. And I've been reading that PW3 is not the best and it doesn't have warmer color light.

The comes the Clara HD, I can get it for 145 usd brand new. So far this one looks like the best option but it's the most expensive one in my list.

Last one would be the Boox Poke for 148 usd (not the pro, it's super expensive to import that thing!!). Dont know how good it is compared to the Clara Hd.

I haven't been able to find more options that include color temperature adjustment for a decent price and obviously the option to to read and many formats as possible.

Last edited by Donelwero; 01-14-2019 at 08:11 AM.
Donelwero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 07:27 AM   #2
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Moderator Notice
Fan translations of copyrighted material qualify as bootleg books. MobileRead takes copyright very seriously and will not condone advocacy of piracy. Please don't refer to managing pirated content again.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-14-2019, 11:17 AM   #3
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donelwero View Post
Hi, I'm from Mexico. I write this because I think problems start there.

I've been looking now for a week for the best reader I can buy. I don't want to spend much money as I just want a good one with the possibility to change color temperature of the screen, I don't see myself using the device for any other thing but reading books, so I'm looking for the best option where I can sideload the tons of pdfs and repubs I have, I just want to sideload my books, read them and switch the temperature color of the screen at night. I use this feature in my Galaxy Note 8 and I'm really used to reading with inverted colors (white font, black background) because I used to get a lot of headaches with the normal colors.

My first option was the Nook Glowlight 3. But everyone says that is really slow. I can get it for 99 usd.

Then I have the option to buy a Paperwhite 3 for 85 usd (used). Those idiots at Amazon Mexico don't have the PW4, they are still selling PW3 for 115 usd. And I've been reading that PW3 is not the best and it doesn't have warmer color light.

The comes the Clara HD, I can get it for 145 usd brand new. So far this one looks like the best option but it's the most expensive one in my list.

Last one would be the Boox Poke for 148 usd (not the pro, it's super expensive to import that thing!!). Dont know how good it is compared to the Clara Hd.

I haven't been able to find more options that include color temperature adjustment for a decent price and obviously the option to to read and many formats as possible.
I would skip the Paperwhite altogether. None of the Paperwhites have the color changing light you are looking for. The paperwhite 4 can invert the colors, but you said a 4 isn't available to you yet.

Both the Glowlight 3 and Clara HD are nice readers that can handle ePub and change light color.

The Glowlight 3 IS slow. There's no getting around it. But to me a bigger issue is the software is more basic than the Clara.

When you're actually reading a book, the Nook is very nice. It is not slow then. There is not a delay in turning the page, or at least delay is less time than it takes to shift view from the bottom of the page to the top. In fact, my Nooks seem to be faster at pulling up table of contents than my Kobo, using the same book. Also, the Glowlight 3's screen is very nice and sharp and there haven't been complaints about the lighting.

But when you are doing other things, navigating library for instance, the Glowlight 3 is slow.

Clara is a nice reader. I think Nook does a better job on page layout and auto-hyphenation to make books look better than Kobo does. But Kobo is better when you want to search your library, adjust fonts and do things like that.

One warning about the Clara, there have been complaints about the lighting being uneven, bright spots at the edges of the screen. Go to the Kobo forum and look for 'light bleed'. Not all Claras have it (maybe most do not). But it is something to be aware of. You might have to take the Clara back for another one.

Both readers have their downsides, but both have their pluses. Really, whichever you buy will likely make you happy.

Last thing: I wouldn't use any e-ink reader for PDF. None handle them as well as your tablet does.

Last edited by ZodWallop; 01-14-2019 at 11:20 AM.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 08:08 PM   #4
Donelwero
Donelwero began at the beginning.

Device: Clara HD
Thank you very much for your answer. I guess I'll be picking the Clara then. I'm still on the fence about a Glowlight Plus I saw for very cheap. Kindles are discarded so, even if the GL Plus doesn't have warmer lights, the price seems very good. I know it can't compare to a Clara but seems like a good deal.
Donelwero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 11:33 PM   #5
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donelwero View Post
Thank you very much for your answer. I guess I'll be picking the Clara then. I'm still on the fence about a Glowlight Plus I saw for very cheap. Kindles are discarded so, even if the GL Plus doesn't have warmer lights, the price seems very good. I know it can't compare to a Clara but seems like a good deal.
I have a Glowlight Plus, Glowlight 3 and an older Kobo, the Aura. The Clara wasn't released when I bought the Glowlight 3. I like the 3, but if they were both the same price, I would recommend the Clara over it. Kobo's software is just better. And though I think the Nook displays book pages a little better, it's not enough better to make up for all the little things I like on Kobo.

Like you, I bought a Plus because it was cheap and I wanted a waterproof reader. The Plus is a nice reader. I like the build quality and I like the pebbled white border. It is very comfortable to hold. If you pick one up for cheap, they are nice devices.

But the Glowlight 3 screen looks a lot better.

The Plus, 3 and Clara all use the same screen. But since the Plus is waterproof, the screen is flush with a capacitive layer over the top. That causes the screen of the Plus to look a little more washed out than the 3. The Plus looks very nice, don't get me wrong. It's only when I compare the Plus and the 3 side by side that I can see the difference.

I'm not sure if the Clara is capacitive or not. Anyone have a Glowlight 3 and Clara? Is the Clara's screen as nice as the 3?

Last edited by ZodWallop; 01-14-2019 at 11:35 PM.
Advert
Old 01-15-2019, 12:25 AM   #6
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
I'm not sure if the Clara is capacitive or not. Anyone have a Glowlight 3 and Clara? Is the Clara's screen as nice as the 3?
Capacitive. "Surprisingly" so is the Tolino Shine 3.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 09:58 AM   #7
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
Capacitive. "Surprisingly" so is the Tolino Shine 3.
I'm starting to suspect those Tolino guys are stealing designs from Kobo

Since the screen on the Clara is recessed, I wonder why they didn't go for the IR grid? It does make the screen look just a little better.

Tags
clara hd, first e-reader, mexico, nook glowlight