Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-06-2019, 09:31 AM   #1
christopher22
Zealot
christopher22 is just one insight away from self-actualization.christopher22 is just one insight away from self-actualization.christopher22 is just one insight away from self-actualization.christopher22 is just one insight away from self-actualization.christopher22 is just one insight away from self-actualization.christopher22 is just one insight away from self-actualization.christopher22 is just one insight away from self-actualization.christopher22 is just one insight away from self-actualization.christopher22 is just one insight away from self-actualization.christopher22 is just one insight away from self-actualization.christopher22 is just one insight away from self-actualization.

Device: Kobo Aura & Touch
kobo firmware - best one?

Ok, I've been away for quite a while. I have been using Kobo firmware 3.11.0 (dec 16, 2014) for pretty much ever since I updated the kobo touch when I got it and never updated since.
Haven't had much of any issues except once in a while the cover would get stuck on one title when reading other epubs (all have been sideloaded).

Should I upgrade to the newest firmware? Are there particular firmware versions I should stay away from? What is the best (maybe most stable) firmware version?

Also, if someone would be so kind as to refresh my memory on how to install downloaded firmware's offline. - I think just delete a couple of files from the .kobo directory and install the new ones from the zip file but I can't recall.
christopher22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 08:51 AM   #2
ps67
Guru
ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Elipsa, Pocketbook Color PB633, Inkpad Color
My opinion is that the best Kobo Firmware is the last: 4.12.12111, but I can compare only the newest ones because I bought my Kobo in July 2018.
ps67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-07-2019, 10:03 AM   #3
JeanPierre
Zealot
JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeanPierre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Hi christopher22, happy new year!

I share ps67's opinion about the 4.12.12111 firmware being the best. There are a couple of specific features that have been added that I personally appreciate very much:

1) The "My Words" feature now sorts words properly, either alphabetically or by recency. I find this feature absolutely invaluable and the fact they got this working (previously the words would just be displayed in random order) has really enhanced my experience with my e-reader.

2) It is now possible to easily highlight over multiple pages by dragging past the end of the page. I make extensive use of annotations when I read, so this has, again, enhanced my user experience.

You're using a version so old that it predates my purchase of a Kobo e-reader, but there have been some features I appreciated added along the way since the first version that came with my device. I'm sure you'll find the same.

As far as offline installation, geek1011 maintains the following website where one can download the latest firmware for your device: https://pgaskin.net/KoboStuff/kobofirmware.html

His directions are simply: "After you download the firmware for your device, extract the zip file into the .kobo folder on your Kobo eReader."

This means you should be putting a KoboRoot.tgz file, manifest.md5sum file, and upgrade folder into the hidden .kobo directory of your e-reader, for version 4.12.12111. Once you eject the drive, the upgrade process should begin automatically.

Best of luck.
JeanPierre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 02:25 PM   #4
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by christopher22 View Post
Ok, I've been away for quite a while. I have been using Kobo firmware 3.11.0 (dec 16, 2014) for pretty much ever since I updated the kobo touch when I got it and never updated since.
Haven't had much of any issues except once in a while the cover would get stuck on one title when reading other epubs (all have been sideloaded).
If you aren't having issues and are happy with the experience, you don't need to upgrade at all.

But I do quite like 4.12. I still miss the old tiled home screen you are still using on 3.11. But 4.12 makes things like searching on my old Aura much faster. Also, full screen reading is officially supported and no longer requires a patch.

There's likely a laundry list of changes between 3.11 and 4.12, but I don't remember most of them, to be honest.

Quote:
Also, if someone would be so kind as to refresh my memory on how to install downloaded firmware's offline. - I think just delete a couple of files from the .kobo
directory and install the new ones from the zip file but I can't recall.
Just download the firmware from geek1011's site, unzip and then I just drop the KoboRoot.tgz file into the .kobo folder. When you eject your reader it should start the update on its own.

Last edited by ZodWallop; 01-07-2019 at 02:35 PM.
ZodWallop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 04:35 PM   #5
christopher22
Zealot
christopher22 is just one insight away from self-actualization.christopher22 is just one insight away from self-actualization.christopher22 is just one insight away from self-actualization.christopher22 is just one insight away from self-actualization.christopher22 is just one insight away from self-actualization.christopher22 is just one insight away from self-actualization.christopher22 is just one insight away from self-actualization.christopher22 is just one insight away from self-actualization.christopher22 is just one insight away from self-actualization.christopher22 is just one insight away from self-actualization.christopher22 is just one insight away from self-actualization.

extract tgz before install

I just had a couple of older kobo touch's I forgot about which I found when I bought them from factory direct (originally was going to use them for Christmas gifts years ago but totally forgot about them.

Anyways the current firmware on them is 1.9.11 and I was reviving them as the batteries had been completely drained. Took a while, to get both to recharge one recharged easier than the other and is keeping the charge but the other one took a bit of coaxing plugging into a wall charger a few times for hours at a time and then it still wouldn't start - I had to plug the wall plug in out quickly a few times in a row which I think jump started it enough to charge enough turn on and start charging.

Regarding firmware 3.11 zip file - there is no upgrade folder - so I'm guessing I don't need to worry about that just copy over the tgz and md5 files.

One other thing, is the tgz file supposed to be unpacked or copied over into the .kobo directory as the full tgz file?

Also, if I chose to back to the original setup 1.9.11, do I just go into the .kobo directory and delete the tgz file and md5 files - or is there more to it than just that?

I'm on a windows system.

Also I noticed in the firmware suggestions someone said to bring back Sudoku - Was it removed in one of the firmware updates?

Last edited by christopher22; 01-07-2019 at 04:37 PM. Reason: add aditional info
Advert
Old 01-07-2019, 04:51 PM   #6
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
One other thing, is the tgz file supposed to be unpacked or copied over into the .kobo directory as the full tgz file?
Just drop the KoboRoot.tgz file into the .kobo folder. When you eject your reader it should start the update on its own. You don't need to unpack KoboRoot.tgz

For that matter, I don't even copy the manifest.md5sum file. Just KoboRoot.tgz and that's it. It's worked for me so far.
Old 01-07-2019, 05:50 PM   #7
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Just download the firmware from geek1011's site, unzip and then I just drop the KoboRoot.tgz file into the .kobo folder. When you eject your reader it should start the update on its own.
When installing a firmware update that matches your device type, I would strongly recommend copying the upgrade folder as well otherwise you miss the Linux system updates (those zimage-whatever files buried in that directory in the newer firmware releases).

The only time I recommend using only the KoboRoot.tgz file is when installing a firmware version not intended for your device (a Kobo Forma mark 7 firmware package on a Kobo Aura HD for example).

Last edited by DNSB; 01-07-2019 at 06:11 PM.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 06:07 PM   #8
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
I just had a couple of older kobo touch's I forgot about which I found when I bought them from factory direct (originally was going to use them for Christmas gifts years ago but totally forgot about them.

Anyways the current firmware on them is 1.9.11 and I was reviving them as the batteries had been completely drained. Took a while, to get both to recharge one recharged easier than the other and is keeping the charge but the other one took a bit of coaxing plugging into a wall charger a few times for hours at a time and then it still wouldn't start - I had to plug the wall plug in out quickly a few times in a row which I think jump started it enough to charge enough turn on and start charging.

Regarding firmware 3.11 zip file - there is no upgrade folder - so I'm guessing I don't need to worry about that just copy over the tgz and md5 files.
For the Touch, there were a few firmware versions without the upgrade directory. I don't know why this was the case, but, my memory says it was better to upgrade to the last that had the directory and then upgrade to the one you want to use. The upgrade directory contains the kernel and if you didn't do this, it was running on a much old version.

And if you aren't going to the 4.x firmware, I generally recommend 3.19. For the Aura, there is a reason to stay on 3.12 or 3.14 (two finger swipe for changing the light works properly, I think), but, I can't think of a reason not to go to 3.19 for the Touch.
Quote:
Unpack the zip file and then copy the contents intact to the device.
Quote:
Also, if I chose to back to the original setup 1.9.11, do I just go into the .kobo directory and delete the tgz file and md5 files - or is there more to it than just that?
They won't be there after the upgrade. To go back to 1.9.11, you will need to do a factory reset.
Quote:
I'm on a windows system.

Also I noticed in the firmware suggestions someone said to bring back Sudoku - Was it removed in one of the firmware updates?
It should still be there for the older devices. The newer ones don't have any games.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 06:19 PM   #9
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
When installing a firmware update that matches your device type, I would strongly recommend copying the upgrade folder as well otherwise you miss the Linux system updates (those zimage-whatever files buried in that directory in the newer firmware releases).
What does that do, exactly? I mean, I understand updating the version of Linux running on the device. But what impact will I see as a user? I ask because my Aura is running fine as is, but now I'm wondering if I should have copied that other junk over as well.

And what does manifest.md5sum do?
Old 01-07-2019, 06:43 PM   #10
christopher22
Zealot

Thanks everyone for all the information. That's too bad about the games. I'm guessing they disappeared at version 4?

How about sketchpad? I almost bought an ewriter over the holidays, good thing I didn't since I have these kobo's. Sketchpad is essentially the same thing with the added bonus of course being an ereader!

I believe the MD5 file is just a verification for the main file. Regarding the upgrade folder (I didn't have a problem when I originally installed that firmware, I believe, without upgrade folders). The nearest one to 3.11 is 3.8 but don't know if 3.8 contains an upgrade folder - it seems to contain boot images - maybe it has something to do with upgrading through wifi? And not as stand alone zip files?
Old 01-07-2019, 07:30 PM   #11
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
What does that do, exactly? I mean, I understand updating the version of Linux running on the device. But what impact will I see as a user? I ask because my Aura is running fine as is, but now I'm wondering if I should have copied that other junk over as well.
Most times, nothing as the kernel isn't updated very often. If it does need to be updated, what you will see could be anything from nothing, to not able to boot. It will depend on the change and whether it affects something you use. Problems with WiFi or other hardware are likely. Another example was the change to 32bpp images. That included a kernel change and should have improved image display. But, the night-mode hack stopped working as it wasn't compatible.
Quote:
And what does manifest.md5sum do?
This is a checksum for the Koboroot.tgz. It is used to validate if the file is complete. If it isn't, the file won't be used.
Old 01-07-2019, 07:55 PM   #12
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Thanks everyone for all the information. That's too bad about the games. I'm guessing they disappeared at version 4?

How about sketchpad? I almost bought an ewriter over the holidays, good thing I didn't since I have these kobo's. Sketchpad is essentially the same thing with the added bonus of course being an ereader!
They were removed starting with the Glo HD. None of the devices since have the games or other beta features except the browser. But, they have added a "Large print mode".
Quote:
I believe the MD5 file is just a verification for the main file. Regarding the upgrade folder (I didn't have a problem when I originally installed that firmware, I believe, without upgrade folders). The nearest one to 3.11 is 3.8 but don't know if 3.8 contains an upgrade folder - it seems to contain boot images - maybe it has something to do with upgrading through wifi? And not as stand alone zip files?
The WiFi update simply downloads the zip file, unpacks it and reboots. After that, the update is the same as manually installing the update files.

For the kernel and uboot files, my memory is that people had some issues on the Touch after a factory reset and directly updating to firmware that didn't have these files. By doing an update to a a firmware version with them, and then to the desired version, the problems went away. My memory says that 2.6.0 was the last with the kernel until one of the late 3.x firmware versions.
Old 01-08-2019, 12:00 PM   #13
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
@Zodwallop Never mind. Davidfor beat me to it. Minor nit is the manifest.md5sum is checksums for the files in the upgrade directory not the KoboRoot.tgz file. As far as I can tell, KoboRoot.tgz is protected by errors being thrown during the unpack if the file is corrupted preventing the install mechanism from running.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 12:22 PM   #14
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
@Zodwallop Never mind. Davidfor beat me to it. Minor nit is the manifest.md5sum is checksums for the files in the upgrade directory not the KoboRoot.tgz file.
Woops. It's ages since I looked at that.
Quote:
As far as I can tell, KoboRoot.tgz is protected by errors being thrown during the unpack if the file is corrupted preventing the install mechanism from running.
Just looked at the install code and it does a "gunzip -t" to check the file before actually unpacking it.
Old 01-08-2019, 12:40 PM   #15
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Most times, nothing as the kernel isn't updated very often. If it does need to be updated, what you will see could be anything from nothing, to not able to boot. It will depend on the change and whether it affects something you use. Problems with WiFi or other hardware are likely. Another example was the change to 32bpp images. That included a kernel change and should have improved image display. But, the night-mode hack stopped working as it wasn't compatible.

This is a checksum for the Koboroot.tgz. It is used to validate if the file is complete. If it isn't, the file won't be used.
Quote:
@Zodwallop Never mind. Davidfor beat me to it. Minor nit is the manifest.md5sum is checksums for the files in the upgrade directory not the KoboRoot.tgz file. As far as I can tell, KoboRoot.tgz is protected by errors being thrown during the unpack if the file is corrupted preventing the install mechanism from running.
Eh, since my Aura was already working fine I probably received no benefit, but I went ahead and reupdated last night. I might not see a difference, but deep down I'm sure I'll get a good feeling from running newer Linux.