Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-19-2018, 05:00 PM   #16
Shad Plante
Groupie
Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 6th Gen Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
Duh!

Of course.

Except for the download and transfer route, which I suppose they could kill off. I suppose that exists for devices with broken WiFi ?
They wouldn't have to kill off the download and transfer route. They could do what they have done with Kindle for PC and have it download a KFX file.
Shad Plante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 07:42 PM   #17
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shad Plante View Post
They wouldn't have to kill off the download and transfer route. They could do what they have done with Kindle for PC and have it download a KFX file.
Sure, but it would be the old KFX DRM, otherwise the Kindle won't be able to decrypt it.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-19-2018, 07:42 PM   #18
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
I think it's unlikely Amazon is trying to avoid people cracking DRM. It doesn't seem to be something they care about beyond keeping publishers happy that they're safe. I often buy a book, remove DRM, do things like improve the TOC and send it back to my library to be read as a doc on my Kindles.

Because I value my relationship with Amazon I've discussed this a couple of times over the years with their support people. Both times I've been told they just don't care. I do buy the books. They know I bought them. They have no problem with me removing DRM. In fact one of the support guys wasn't familiar with this so he asked around and called me back and explained that some of the Amazon employees do the same thing.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 07:46 PM   #19
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryem View Post
I think it's unlikely Amazon is trying to avoid people cracking DRM. It doesn't seem to be something they care about beyond keeping publishers happy that they're safe. I often buy a book, remove DRM, do things like improve the TOC and send it back to my library to be read as a doc on my Kindles.

Because I value my relationship with Amazon I've discussed this a couple of times over the years with their support people. Both times I've been told they just don't care. I do buy the books. They know I bought them. They have no problem with me removing DRM. In fact one of the support guys wasn't familiar with this so he asked around and called me back and explained that some of the Amazon employees do the same thing.

Barry
Thank you. That is great to know. Means I just keep downloading and transfer via USB, and permanently keep my two old PW1 and KT registered. Works without messing with K4PC and without Windows or Wine.
Old 11-19-2018, 08:57 PM   #20
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
Thank you. That is great to know. Means I just keep downloading and transfer via USB, and permanently keep my two old PW1 and KT registered. Works without messing with K4PC and without Windows or Wine.
I just download my books to my Kindle Basic (no touch) and read the files into Calibre from there.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-19-2018, 11:21 PM   #21
DuckieTigger
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
I just download my books to my Kindle Basic (no touch) and read the files into Calibre from there.
Have not tried lately, does that work in calibre with drag and drop and KFX files?
Old 11-20-2018, 12:14 AM   #22
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Have not tried lately, does that work in calibre with drag and drop and KFX files?
If AZW3 files are the same as KFX files, it works. I never did the drag and drop before. I just right-clicked on the book and chose "Add books to library." But drag and drop works fine.
Old 11-20-2018, 12:30 AM   #23
Shad Plante
Groupie
Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shad Plante ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Sure, but it would be the old KFX DRM, otherwise the Kindle won't be able to decrypt it.
Only if they don’t update the firmware to be able to use the new kfx drm.
Old 11-20-2018, 01:27 AM   #24
DuckieTigger
Wizard

Quote:
Only if they don’t update the firmware to be able to use the new kfx drm.
We were talking about old Kindles that are no longer receiving new updates. At least I was.
Old 11-20-2018, 10:37 AM   #25
Shad Plante
Groupie

Quote:
We were talking about old Kindles that are no longer receiving new updates. At least I was.
If they aren't receiving updates currently, I don't think they could handle KFX with either DRM. I'm guessing there probably aren't enough people with those devices for Amazon to be too worried about the Download and Transfer via USB option for them.
Old 11-20-2018, 10:48 AM   #26
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
If they aren't receiving updates currently, I don't think they could handle KFX with either DRM. I'm guessing there probably aren't enough people with those devices for Amazon to be too worried about the Download and Transfer via USB option for them.
Then you would be guessing wrong...I know more people that are using older Kindles that can't handle kfx than ones that are using newer ones. Granted, my anecdotal evidence isn't definitive, but there are still many many people using the older Kindles. I think the fact that Amazon still makes books available in a format for them now, years after the introduction of kfx, shows that they are still committed to supporting the older models.

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 10:50 AM   #27
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
If AZW3 files are the same as KFX files, it works.
AZW3 is not the same as KFX.

KFX is newer, supports "enhanced typesetting", is spread over several files, and so far is not transferred over USB.

Last edited by j.p.s; 11-20-2018 at 10:54 AM.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 11:21 AM   #28
Shad Plante
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post

KFX is newer, supports "enhanced typesetting", is spread over several files, and so far is not transferred over USB.
The newer versions of Kindle for PC download KFX format files, but they have .azw extensions.

Amazon has done a great job of making their ebook files confusing.
Old 11-20-2018, 11:32 AM   #29
Shad Plante
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post
Then you would be guessing wrong...I know more people that are using older Kindles that can't handle kfx than ones that are using newer ones. Granted, my anecdotal evidence isn't definitive, but there are still many many people using the older Kindles. I think the fact that Amazon still makes books available in a format for them now, years after the introduction of kfx, shows that they are still committed to supporting the older models.

Shari
You have to identify what device you are downloading to when you use Download and Transfer by USB. There is no reason they couldn't change it to give KFX files for those devices that can handle them.

There is a difference between there being enough users to continue supporting a mature file format and there being enough to be concerned about not having the DRM locked down on those files as well as you would prefer.

If Amazon decided that they were really committed to a newer more difficult to break DRM, they could always update the firmware on older devices to support AZW3 files with a new DRM. That would be pretty extreme though so I doubt they would bother with it.
Old 11-20-2018, 01:40 PM   #30
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post

Shows what I know. Thanks for the clarification.

Tags
kindle for pc