Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-28-2011, 02:33 PM   #1
bfollowell
Fanatic
bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Nook & Samsung Galaxy Tab S 10.5
Kindle library title delays?

Has anyone noticed a delay on public libraries getting Kindle versions of new ebooks?

I was thrilled when Kindle ebook loaning came online several weeks ago. Almost overnight, almost every single epub that my library had, I could get for my Kindle. However, it's been really hit or miss with new ebooks they've added since then. Some have been available for both, some are only available as epubs. For example, I really wanted to get The Night Eternal by Guillermo Del Toro, the final novel in The Strain trilogy. My library just added it in the past couple of days but they only have the epub version; nothing for the Kindle.

I checked the Overdrive site and they show a retail epub, an epub available at stores and libraries but nothing for the Kindle, even though I know the title is available for the Kindle from Amazon. I've noticed this on a few other titles.

This hit or miss title availability really has me confused. Has anyone else noticed this?

Thanks.

- Byron
bfollowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 02:41 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I have noticed that not all ePub has a Kindle version.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-28-2011, 02:54 PM   #3
bfollowell
Fanatic
bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I have noticed that not all ePub has a Kindle version.
I guess, just because a Kindle version exists for purchase, doesn't necessarily mean that Overdrive has the rights to distribute it through their system. Still, it seems very strange that they would be able to deliver an epub version but not the Kindle version of the very same book.

Whatever it is, it seems really strange to me.

- Byron
Old 10-28-2011, 03:03 PM   #4
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
My library has been getting mostly epubs in so you are not alone. I had some trouble with checking out Kindle titles. So I've gone back to the old method.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 03:17 PM   #5
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom
I had some trouble with checking out Kindle titles. So I've gone back to the old method.
I'm going into my fifth week of being "patron 1 of X on the waiting list" for a particular title; in a system that lends Kindle books for a maximum of 2 weeks.

I contacted them and they gave me the absolute latest date when I should get my notification. It's the third different "absolute latest date" they've given me now.

But at least the last support email came with the admission that they are getting many similar complaints from other users.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-28-2011, 03:22 PM   #6
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I'm going into my fifth week of being "patron 1 of X on the waiting list" for a particular title; in a system that lends Kindle books for a maximum of 2 weeks.

I contacted them and they gave me the absolute latest date when I should get my notification. It's the third different "absolute latest date" they've given me now.

But at least the last support email came with the admission that they are getting many similar complaints from other users.
It sounds to me like a glitch in the system they use. I had another bump in line just this week. Went from 4 to 1 overnight with 1 copy. Now glitches like that I like!
Old 10-28-2011, 03:28 PM   #7
bfollowell
Fanatic

I've been fairly lucky I guess. I've experienced no glitches whatsoever since Kindle loaning started, except for titles I think should be available not being so, of course.

- Byron
Old 10-28-2011, 03:36 PM   #8
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

I tried to check out a Kindle book and got a message saying.

Quote:
We're sorry, but there was an error in getting this public library loan. We have noted the error and will resolve it as soon as possible. Visit the Public Library Lending Help Page for more information or if you wish to contact Customer Service.
So I emailed my library it's been several days and no answer. I think they are on break right now. So by the time they answer the loan will be up and the next person in line will have to deal with it. I can't return it either so I'm just waiting for it to expire.