Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 12-31-2018, 01:40 PM   #1
Bookchin
Connoisseur
Bookchin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookchin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookchin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookchin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookchin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookchin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookchin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookchin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookchin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookchin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookchin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Best device for reading in the sun?

Would like to hear from anyone who has experience reading outdoors on both an e-reader, and a tablet.

I want a device that I can use outdoors and also on the bus when the sun is streaming through the bus windows.

I'm guessing that an e-reader screen would be washed out by the sun? And that a tablet might offer more workaround options, such as increasing the brightness, or reading white on black text? I don't know.

Also, do anti-glare screen protectors work when the sun is fairly bright?

Which type of device is better for reading outdoors?
Bookchin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 02:03 PM   #2
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
E-ink is fabulous in the sun. Back-lit screens not so much.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 02:10 PM   #3
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
I'll have to second Deskisamess. At present, eInk is the best solution for reading in sunlight.

E-ink works off reflected light so as long as the light level isn't high enough to hurt your eyes, you'll be able to read without issue. Most ereaders also lack the high gloss screen surface so you won't have as many problems with reflections.

The reflected light is also why you see responses when someone refers to an eInk screen as being backlit informing then that it's a frontlight not a backlight.

Last edited by DNSB; 12-31-2018 at 02:16 PM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 02:15 PM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookchin View Post
I'm guessing that an e-reader screen would be washed out by the sun?
You guess wrongly. The brighter the ambient light, the greater the contrast of an eInk screen. They work very well indeed in direct sunlight.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 02:17 PM   #5
theinfamousj
Groupie
theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo (pink back)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deskisamess View Post
E-ink is fabulous in the sun. Back-lit screens not so much.
Thirding this advice.

I have an eInk device with an optional front light. It is old, but rock solid. Great for reading at the beach. Also good for reading at night by the light of its own front light.

I cannot play Candy Crush on it, but I can read, and that is all I want it for anyway.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
theinfamousj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 03:48 PM   #6
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Same as everyone said, e-ink looks better in sunlight.

I've heard LCD screens have gotten better at reading in sunlight and maybe they have. But last week when I was reading at the park on lunch, my brand new Pixel 3 screen's display was barely visible in direct sunlight, but my trusty old e-ink Kobo Aura was just fine.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 04:41 PM   #7
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Just tested both my Voyage and Kindle Keyboard in direct sun. EASY to read. A tablet (and Ipod) are difficult to read, if at all, in the sun, due to the glare.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 05:05 PM   #8
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Also, do anti-glare screen protectors work when the sun is fairly bright?
e-ink screens do not require anti-glare screen protectors
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 08:39 PM   #9
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
e-ink screens do not require anti-glare screen protectors
Actually, I've seen one e-Ink screen that would require a anti-glare. It was a Chinese made unit that had a high gloss screen which, as the owner explained, was supposed to make text sharper and give higher contrast. It may have succeeded at that purpose but under normal lighting, you had to hold it at odd angles to reduce reflections.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 09:32 PM   #10
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
I read on my e-ink readers in the sun a lot every summer and much of the spring and fall. I have a nice comfy chair on my front porch for just that. Most of my porch reading is in the afternoon when the sun is on my porch so I have the chair turned sideways to avoid having the sun in my face. The result is sun coming from my right side. It's as comfortable reading this way as it is reading indoors.

If I sit with my back to the sun in a way that lets the sun hit the Kindle screen directly then it's less comfortable but it's still a lot more comfortable than reading on my phone or tablet.

With my Samsung phone I can read with the sun hitting the screen but it's difficult. It's not worth doing. Sitting sideways so it's not hitting right on the screen is better and can be worth doing but it's still far from idea. The same is true of my Samsung tablet. My Ipad is just a little better but not enough to make much difference.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 03:07 AM   #11
Bookchin
Connoisseur
Bookchin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookchin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookchin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookchin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookchin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookchin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookchin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookchin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookchin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookchin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookchin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Thanks to all.

I assume then that an anti-glare screen protector would not make enough of a difference on a tablet compared to an e-reader?
Bookchin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 03:39 AM   #12
church mouse
Evangelist
church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.church mouse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kobo Clara HD, Kobo H2O, Boox Poke 2
Quote:
Thanks to all.

I assume then that an anti-glare screen protector would not make enough of a difference on a tablet compared to an e-reader?
I have matt anti-glare screen protectors on my Asus tablet and my iPad mini and they do help with sun glare (at the expense of some reduction in overall sharpness). With the backlight turned to max I have been able to read in bright sunlight (UK bright, that is) but not as easily as with my eink readers.
church mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 06:59 PM   #13
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
I read outside a lot. E-ink is the best. No glare. Clean crisp screen.
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 06:57 AM   #14
Marinolino
Groupie
Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura-One (using KOReader app), Boox Note-3, iPad(s)
Quote:
Thanks to all.

I always use ultra-matte anti-glare screen protectors on my LCD readers because I find it much better that way for reading both outside in the sun (on the street/park/beach or in the bus/train) but also inside the lighted room with distracting reflections on the screen and would usually also use a homemade paper sunshade together with sunglasses & sunshield cap if I don't read at home in the shade (blanket over the rope, under the porch roof, tree ...).

I use matte anti-glare screen protector on my glossy Hanvon E930 eink reader too, whereas for non-glossy eink screens I don't find it necessary for reading outside in the sun, just putting sunshield cap on or sunglasses or both, as with any paper book.

Last edited by Marinolino; 03-31-2019 at 08:58 AM.
Marinolino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 04:12 AM   #15
Bob Willis
Enthusiast
Bob Willis can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBob Willis can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBob Willis can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBob Willis can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBob Willis can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBob Willis can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBob Willis can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBob Willis can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBob Willis can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBob Willis can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBob Willis can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Kindle, IPAD Pro, Boox Note
An e-ink reader will be perfect for reading outside, which will protect your eyes from glare. I used the Onyx Boox Note to read outside a lot, and that works well.
Bob Willis is offline   Reply With Quote