Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre Companion

Notices

Old 03-16-2018, 03:41 AM   #1
Amalthia
Wizard
Amalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505, PRS-650, PRS-T3, Pocketbook HD2
SD Card on Oreo (Android 8)

Moderator Notice
Created a new thread.

Quote:
Go to formats and folders ...
Hi, these steps don't work on Android Oreo. I've hit the select button for a folder on my SD card however the directory hasn't changed.

Last edited by chaley; 03-16-2018 at 05:56 AM.
Amalthia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 06:08 AM   #2
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amalthia View Post
Hi, these steps don't work on Android Oreo. I've hit the select button for a folder on my SD card however the directory hasn't changed.
I assume you followed the steps in this FAQ. It works for me on both the Google Android 8 emulator w/SD card and on my OnePlus 5.

If you formatted the SD card on a different device then CC probably won't have permissions to see the contents. The only way around that is to reformat the card in the device where it is being used.

However, rather than speculate, the best would be for you to send me a CC debug log as described here. That way I can see where it fails and whether you have one of the rather rare devices where Oreo broke accessing the private app folder.

It is worth noting that starting in Nougat (Android 7), Google has totally broken sharing files between apps. Later this year CC will be forced to hand copies of books to reader apps instead of pointing the reader app at CC's local copy. I know that this is terrible but there is zero I can do about it. If I don't implement this stupid system then later in the year I must stop releasing CC updates.

Last edited by chaley; 03-16-2018 at 12:50 PM. Reason: Clarify the effect on CC of the google change
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 12:08 PM   #3
crane3
Guru
crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Fire hdx 8.9, Tab S2, Tab S5e, Aura ONE
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
It is worth noting that starting in Oreo, Google has totally broken sharing files between apps. Later this year CC will be forced to hand copies of books to reader apps instead of pointing the reader app at CC's local copy. I know that this is terrible, but there is zero I can do about it. If I don't implement this stupid system then later in the year CC will disappear from the Play Store.
I hope that does not happen as that is the way IOS does things. Going the way of crapple is not the way for user friendly usability. Also one will have to watch their loss of space on the tablet as it will be many dups if the reader app's copy is not deleted after read.

The ipad is just a terminal to icloud to make more money for crapple.
crane3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 12:37 PM   #4
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crane3 View Post
I hope that does not happen as that is the way IOS does things.
It has already happened. Google's change is why CC does not "target" (implement/respect the rules of) Android releases beyond 6 (Marshmallow).

As I said above, unfortunately starting later this year Google is requiring that new and updated apps target the latest Android. The result: either I stop maintaining CC, or I follow the rules and pass copies of books to apps.

If you care, Google's announcement is here.
Old 03-16-2018, 04:21 PM   #5
crane3
Guru
crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
It has already happened. Google's change is why CC does not "target" (implement/respect the rules of) Android releases beyond 6 (Marshmallow).

As I said above, unfortunately starting later this year Google is requiring that new and updated apps target the latest Android. The result: either I stop maintaining CC, or I follow the rules and pass copies of books to apps.

If you care, Google's announcement is here.
Thanks much for the info. I was going to get the galaxy tab s4 when it is released but now am thinking about either the s3 or s2. Wonder if CC will be charged for overusing resources (generating extra copies of books) or will the reader be charged for overusing resources.

The extra "securities" will degrade performance rather than an improvement. I have a copy of the ios 11 epub manual & ireader sees it as readable IF it is located on a hi level directory; if moved to a folder, ios says it does not understand the format & one has to send a copy to an app (reader) for load/read.

Wonder if windows tablets will go the ios way also. or perhaps CC can hopefully be ported over to a "linux tablet" if necessary .....
Old 03-17-2018, 02:26 AM   #6
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Thanks much for the info. I was going to get the galaxy tab s4 when it is released but now am thinking about either the s3 or s2.
I'm curious, how does Google's change alter your thinking on what to buy?

Quote:
Wonder if CC will be charged for overusing resources (generating extra copies of books) or will the reader be charged for overusing resources.
Color me ignorant, WTF are you talking about?
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 01:48 PM   #7
crane3
Guru

If Google goes the crapple's ios way, then there will not be file sharing; a reader app cannot select a book from a folder to read but must have its own copy/duplicate of the book. Each app is sandboxed(?) within its own environment. Android CC will have to do like IOS CC where CC will have to send a copy of the book to a reader app.....lots of duplicates to use up memory/ram.

Read the Oreo specs(?)/features that any app that over-uses resources will be removed. Will CC be penalized for over usage when creating multiple copies of books for various reader apps? or will the reader app? What constitute "over use of resources"?. The Galaxy Tab S4 will be released with Oreo which is headed to be more like IOS & should be avoided by me.

Then did come across an item that claims Google wants to head to cloud oriented tablets, like apple. The ios 'file manager', files is only for the icloud & is not allowed to display or manage anything on the ipad.
Old 03-18-2018, 12:20 AM   #8
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
If Google goes the crapple's ios way, then there will not be file sharing; a reader app cannot select a book from a folder to read but must have its own copy/duplicate of the book. Each app is sandboxed(?) within its own environment. Android CC will have to do like IOS CC where CC will have to send a copy of the book to a reader app.....lots of duplicates to use up memory/ram.
This part I understand. Slightly inconvenient and I would prefer it not be the case, but it just means adding one more step (or two) to my reading workflow. One would be deleting the book from my reader app when I finish reading it.

Quote:
Read the Oreo specs(?)/features that any app that over-uses resources will be removed. Will CC be penalized for over usage when creating multiple copies of books for various reader apps? or will the reader app? What constitute "over use of resources"?. The Galaxy Tab S4 will be released with Oreo which is headed to be more like IOS & should be avoided by me.
Thanks for the explanation. I am less confused now. While I don't know what will come down the pike, as it stands now simple book storage, even duplicates across apps, will not constitute an overuse of resources. Overuse of resources targets background resources like battery, memory, cpu, execution limits. Items that will affect the overall experience or hinder the currently running app.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 11:19 AM   #9
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
Personally I think chaley when calibre companion hits the point where he cant update without losing functionality due to google restrictions should abandon the app. And release calibre companion 2 with built in reader and editor for android 8 and above.
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 10:25 PM   #10
Amalthia
Wizard
Amalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beauty

Quote:
I assume you followed the steps in this FAQ. It works for me on both the Google Android 8 emulator w/SD card and on my OnePlus 5.

If you formatted the SD card on a different device then CC probably won't have permissions to see the contents. The only way around that is to reformat the card in the device where it is being used.
I did follow the instructions. I am able to see my SD card as an option to select, however I cannot select any new folders regardless of where it's located. I am using a Samsung Galaxy S9+ unlocked phone. I haven't reformatted my SD card. I just got this phone and didn't realized I needed to reformat my SD card.

Quote:
However, rather than speculate, the best would be for you to send me a CC debug log as described here. That way I can see where it fails and whether you have one of the rather rare devices where Oreo broke accessing the private app folder.
I've sent you the debug log.

Best Regards,
Amalthia
Old 03-27-2018, 03:26 PM   #11
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Thanks for the debug log. Unfortunately what it shows is the worst I could imagine. Oreo on your device is refusing to honor fixed file path names, instead insisting that the damned Storage Access Framework (SAF) be used. Not all devices require this (mine don't), but enough seem to do so that I can't ignore it.

The consequence: to fix this I must update CC to respect the Nougat+ SAF rules that file paths cannot be used internally in an app and cannot be passed to other (reader) apps. Instead, CC must use SAF mechanisms, which means that CC must pass copies of books to reader apps instead of the original file name. I knew that Google has said I would need to do this by the end of the year in order to be permitted to update CC, but apparently I must deal with it now.

I am currently testing the changes. They are significant enough that I will run an alpha test cycle then beta test. I need to be sure that I haven't broken anything on pre-Nougat Android, that it works on Nougat/Oreo and higher, and that it works with a range of reader apps.

Sigh ...
Old 03-27-2018, 11:29 PM   #12
Amalthia
Wizard

Well it's good to know the problem isn't something I'm doing, though I'm sorry to hear about all the work ahead of you on updating the app.

Thanks for looking into the problem.
Old 04-04-2018, 08:37 AM   #13
peaceridge
Guru
peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura1, Nexus7.2, Galaxy Tab A 8.4, Ipad Air & Mini 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopedangel View Post
Personally I think chaley when calibre companion hits the point where he cant update without losing functionality due to google restrictions should abandon the app. And release calibre companion 2 with built in reader and editor for android 8 and above.
I also think that there should be a cc2 for android 8, and maybe not update the current version anymore for those of us who will not be going to 8. I won't be updating my tablets to 8 to avoid the double storage of books. Unfortunately, my phone has already updated to 8, but I seldom read on it, so duplicate books would be ok for me there, but I suspect not for others. Also, what a burden on chaley to maintain 2 versions.

I disagree that cc should have a built in reader - just reading the forums of various readers show that we are all diverse in what we like on a reader app. Again, a tremendous burden on chaley. Including a reader in cc would get out of hand (I think). Case in point, I totally love Calibre and am so greatful for it, but with each update with more features, it loads and runs slower and slower.
peaceridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 11:34 AM   #14
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by peaceridge View Post
I also think that there should be a cc2 for android 8, and maybe not update the current version anymore for those of us who will not be going to 8. I won't be updating my tablets to 8 to avoid the double storage of books. Unfortunately, my phone has already updated to 8, but I seldom read on it, so duplicate books would be ok for me there, but I suspect not for others. Also, what a burden on chaley to maintain 2 versions.
Some points:
  1. The "can't pass file names" problem exists with Android 7 as well.
  2. I don't know how to handle the licensing problems that come with two distinct apps. Having an upgrade/exchange path or a single shared license seems hard.
  3. As this thread has shown, there are problems with running the current CC on Android 8, and probably Android 7 as well. If this is solved with two apps then given the shared license problem, someone with two devices, one Android 7 or better and the other Android 6 or lower, would need to buy two copies. I consider this unacceptable.
  4. The new version of CC will use the "pass file names" method on Android 6 and down.
Bottom line: I think I have two choices:
  1. Follow Google's rules and live with making the copies on Android 7 and higher.
  2. Abandon CC as it is, no more updates, probably making it free. At some point it will stop working. This will happen eventually as I get older and more cranky, but I think I have a few years left.
Old 04-04-2018, 12:55 PM   #15
Glsparks2
Glsparks2 began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung S23 Ultra
I truly hope that you choose option 1. Please.
Glsparks2 is offline   Reply With Quote