Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 02-20-2018, 07:38 PM   #1
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
Microsoft selling eBooks?

In their app store. I didn't know that until I got a promotional email. It looks like a handful of overpriced popular books and a few techie books in the ePub format. I'm not too impressed.

But they've got to start somewhere, I guess.
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 09:44 AM   #2
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenBarrington View Post
In their app store. I didn't know that until I got a promotional email. It looks like a handful of overpriced popular books and a few techie books in the ePub format. I'm not too impressed.

But they've got to start somewhere, I guess.
They actually have the book store (and a built in ePub reader) integrated in the Edge browser on Windows 10. (I'm at work, so not signed in to my Microsoft account)

ZodWallop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 10:29 AM   #3
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yeah, I'm aware of this feature of the "Edge" browser (I rather like Edge. Actually, I like the whole Win10 experience overall), but I hate reading on my PC! I'd rather read on my PW or my tablet!
Old 02-21-2018, 10:31 AM   #4
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenBarrington View Post
Yeah, I'm aware of this feature of the "Edge" browser (I rather like Edge. Actually, I like the whole Win10 experience overall), but I hate reading on my PC! I'd rather read on my PW or my tablet!
Oh sure, I don't disagree. I was just pointing out that you don't have to go to the store to buy books from Microsoft.

I wonder if they're Alf-able?
Old 02-21-2018, 11:09 AM   #5
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Oh sure, I don't disagree. I was just pointing out that you don't have to go to the store to buy books from Microsoft.

I wonder if they're Alf-able?
We'll find out if they sell any.
App-locked ebook stores haven't done well, historically.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 12:01 PM   #6
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
We'll find out if they sell any.
App-locked ebook stores haven't done well, historically.
I don't think they are just for the Edge browser, When I followed the email link, it took me to the bookstore that had a download for mobile devices devices available. And the the books are described as ePub files. I didn't explore any further, since the books were kind of expensive for eBooks and the selection could be described as anemic, at best.
Old 02-21-2018, 12:52 PM   #7
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
Ya they been doing it for a while now. I was told it was geared towards Microsoft surface tablets.
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 01:34 PM   #8
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
They actually have the book store (and a built in ePub reader) integrated in the Edge browser on Windows 10. (I'm at work, so not signed in to my Microsoft account)
I have to confess I didn't know that. I usually use Chrome on the W10 machines in the house, and my Chromebook.

Good to know. Thanks.
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 01:38 PM   #9
drjd
The Couch Potato
drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Touch, Archos 9, Onyx Boox C67ML Carta
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcladyz View Post
I was told it was geared towards Microsoft surface tablets.
I guess so. I wonder if they introduced inbuilt reader in Edge after advent of Surface tablets.
drjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 01:50 PM   #10
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjd View Post
I guess so. I wonder if they introduced inbuilt reader in Edge after advent of Surface tablets.
Yes they did. The built-in ePub reader in Edge is fairly new (November 2016) whereas Surface tablets predate Windows 10 (and Edge, for that matter).
Old 02-21-2018, 03:07 PM   #11
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
My wife and kids (some of them) have Windows 10. They pretty much ignore the pleas to use Edge when it pops up from time to time.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 03:14 PM   #12
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
When you click the "Shop for Books" link in Edge it opens the Microsoft Store app. I looked around and found it hard to browse. You can't sort listings by criteria such as price or ratings and the book categories are far less fine-grained than Amazon's.

It says that the books are in EPUB format with an unspecified type of DRM. I would have bought a book to try it out, but I couldn't find anything for less than a dollar.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 04:25 PM   #13
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
My wife and kids (some of them) have Windows 10. They pretty much ignore the pleas to use Edge when it pops up from time to time.
I don't mind Edge. I bounce back and forth between it and Firefox. I don't care for Chrome and never use it except for on my phone or when I neec a certain Comixology plug-in.

I do think Microsoft needs to put Edge in the store for update purposes instead of relying on updating it when Windows updates. They should have learned that from Internet Explorer.
Old 02-21-2018, 05:29 PM   #14
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz

Well I got another email from them today . . .

I went back and looked around again, looking a little more carefully. I don't think Amazon has much to worry about. Choice is limited and the prices are outrageous in my eyes. And I'm less certain that there is an android version reader app.

They're going to have to work a bit harder for my reading dollar, I think.
Old 02-21-2018, 05:46 PM   #15
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
I found some 99 cent books but not many. I did a search on "free books" and it found about 50 classic novels. I didn't get any. I was just mildly curious.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote