Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 04-28-2008, 02:13 AM   #1
KoopaOne
Austrian Bookworm
KoopaOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KoopaOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KoopaOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KoopaOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KoopaOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KoopaOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KoopaOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KoopaOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KoopaOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KoopaOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KoopaOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4
ePub Creation Utility

I must admit, i have searched all over the place, tons of websites and i cannot find a program which converts my Doc, HTML, txt (whatever) files to ePub-Format.
Since ePub will be the format of the future (hopefully) i want to standardize my library, thus converting them to ePub.

Anyone know such a Utility?
KoopaOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 02:57 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
What are you going to read these ePub format books with? Do you have a program to read them on your N95? If or unless ePub actually DOES become a popular standard, I'd stick with the formats you've got, to be honest.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-28-2008, 03:34 AM   #3
KoopaOne
Austrian Bookworm
KoopaOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KoopaOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KoopaOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KoopaOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KoopaOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KoopaOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KoopaOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KoopaOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KoopaOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KoopaOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KoopaOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

No, i don't have a Reading-Software, neither for PC nor for my Nokia.
But a Reading-Software is fast developed, i am sure i could do it myself, even for Symbian OS, a converting Utility is much more work...
Old 04-28-2008, 07:30 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Writing one is on my TODO list
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 01:01 PM   #5
KoopaOne
Austrian Bookworm

good news
Advert
Old 04-28-2008, 01:34 PM   #6
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoopaOne View Post
I must admit, i have searched all over the place, tons of websites and i cannot find a program which converts my Doc, HTML, txt (whatever) files to ePub-Format.
Since ePub will be the format of the future (hopefully) i want to standardize my library, thus converting them to ePub.

The good thing is that ePub is basically XML. So, all you need is an XSLT file for each format you want to put it into and run a transfor. To create a reader all you need is an XSLt file and an HTML renderer... something like the webkit library would work fine.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 02:34 PM   #7
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:

Adobe InDesign

Openberg Rector - in development. The reader (Lector) is pretty far along.
http://openberg.sourceforge.net/

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 01:47 AM   #8
KoopaOne
Austrian Bookworm

Adobe InDesign istn't really an option, because of the price.
The OpenBerg Rector isn't for Download anywhere, just the Lector ...
Old 04-29-2008, 09:44 AM   #9
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Adobe InDesign istn't really an option, because of the price.
The OpenBerg Rector isn't for Download anywhere, just the Lector ...
There is a download for Rector in source form but it is pretty primitive so far I think. Good place to start to help if you can program.
http://openberg.cvs.sourceforge.net/...ojects/rector/ look in the org directory.

If you can assemble your own files then any editor that can generate xhtml would be a good starting point. Otherwise you can upload your eBooks to http://www.feedbooks.com/ and then it will generate the ePUB for you. Be careful with copyright.

Dale
Old 04-29-2008, 09:57 AM   #10
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
I assume you have seen the thread .epub format. Your best bet may be MishaS's oeb2epub.py (post #10). If you have a Windows PC, one way to get an OEB document (HTML, images and a .opf metafile) is MobiPocket Creator. HarryT's Tutorial - How to Create a MobiPocket eBook builds an OEB using MobiPocket Creator on the way to MOBI. It is relatively easy to convert OEB to EPUB, but not all EPUB features are available in OEB.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 12:47 PM   #11
KoopaOne
Austrian Bookworm

thanks a ton, i will try that ...
Old 04-29-2008, 03:55 PM   #12
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
thanks a ton, i will try that ...
Be sure and grab the latest version. It is at oeb2epub

Dale
Old 04-30-2008, 07:23 AM   #13
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
If you can assemble your own files then any editor that can generate xhtml would be a good starting point. Otherwise you can upload your eBooks to http://www.feedbooks.com/ and then it will generate the ePUB for you. Be careful with copyright.
Well, you don't have to hit the "publish" button. Just edit your text, and download the ePub preview.
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 10:38 AM   #14
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadrien View Post
Well, you don't have to hit the "publish" button. Just edit your text, and download the ePub preview.
Good point about converting to ePub without publishing. This is a great way for people to explore the ePub format.

Dale