Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 01-23-2013, 04:54 AM   #1
Noughty
Addict
Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.

Device: Kindle NT
Calibre speed and hierarchical tags

I was wondering what exactly is making calibre slow for me. I have 64 version. It loads quite fast and all, but when I edit metadata in bulk (even if it's just 2 books and just changing column #kindle to on/to/was). It often hangs for awhile and sometimes I even have to restart it.
For example, in my edit column I have 8 fixed values, changing that value for 8 books at the same time gives me freeze of 20 seconds.

I think the problem could be that I have a big mess with tags - some hierarchical some not (halfway done) - it's a big mess.

Does hierarchical tags slow down calibre a lot? If there is like 200 tags, grouped in a few categories and up to 3-4 levels? Does it slow it down even then tags aren't changed, only other columns are edited?

I'm considering just getting rid off hierarchical tags and creating columns for every category - most of them would be columns values like tags and some with a fixed values. Now I made 9 columns and two would need hierarchical tags in them (only two level) or I can just add a few more columns and avoid hierarchical tags. Which would be the better option?

I just hate the freezes after every metadata edit, would like to make it as small as possible but still keep all the metadata I want (tags, columns).

I'd just like some suggestions how to optimize. I already learned using program and not simple templates (it's supposed to be faster) for columns designed from other columns and I even disable them when I don't need them (writing nothing and pasting program in it only when I need to use that column)
Noughty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 05:59 AM   #2
Sabardeyn
Guru
Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC (Calibre), Nexus 7 2013 (Moon+ Pro), HTC HD2/Leo (Freda)
I don't know if it is hierarchical tags so much as just tags. At least I remember another post saying that populating the Tag Browser on loading a Library is the primary reason for the delay.

When performing searches, the delay is because of the number of records by the wide variety of fields/columns to be examined for a generic search. There is a way to limit the fields a search will check, within Preferences>Look and Feel, I believe.

As for Edit Metadata... I'm not sure what might be responsible other than the overhead involved in updating two files. Each book would be altering the metadata.db for the library and the individual OPF file save per book.
Sabardeyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-23-2013, 06:07 AM   #3
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
The thing that normally slows down Calibre severely is custom columns that need recalculating. You do not mention what custom columns you have, but since #kindle is mentioned at least one is in use.

Also adding a formats column slows things down.

Whether your tags are an issue I am not sure.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 06:25 AM   #4
Noughty
Addict
Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.

Searches and loading is fine. Only metadata change for more than one book freezes. If I edit one book it's no problem. Problem is the same either I edit 2 or 100 books.

I have quite a few custom columns, but none made from other columns, so why should my change in simple #kindle column with a few fixed values makes calibre freeze? Again, only if it's bulk edit.

Maybe with bulk edit it checks all fields if there are changes made even if you change only one value? I mean it checks all the options available in the bulk edit (my #kindel column, #genre, #type column and all others). Then it would seem logical why it takes a lot of time for me since there are a lot of columns to check.

Maybe there should be a change how bulk edit is done, to not check all values, but only the ones the changes were made to. There is Apply changes to columns in bulk edit to every column, so it would seem that it shouldn't go through all the columns, but maybe it does on some degree?
That would really explain why it freezes after bulk edit. But also rises a question why does it check all columns (if it does) if there is the "Apply changes" to every column which is ticked (v) when there are any changes made to that column.
It would explain why calibre freezes after bulk edit - it checks every single column, even if it shouldn't.

Hope at least somebody understood what I was trying to say. My english sometimes limits me.
Old 01-23-2013, 06:47 AM   #5
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noughty View Post
Maybe with bulk edit it checks all fields if there are changes made even if you change only one value? I mean it checks all the options available in the bulk edit (my #kindel column, #genre, #type column and all others). Then it would seem logical why it takes a lot of time for me since there are a lot of columns to check.
I have no logical explanation, but if by #type the column is setup to show book formats this is the biggest culprit of slowing libraries to a crawl.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-23-2013, 07:11 AM   #6
Noughty
Addict

no . Its anthology, spin off and other things about book, ending, favorites, length. That's why I'd like to divide it into hierarchical on ending, length, favorites etc.
Old 01-23-2013, 08:45 AM   #7
Honest Fantasist
Honest Fantasist began at the beginning.

Device: kindle wi-fi
I have the slow problem all the time. when i click ok to exit "edit metadata" it hangs. I have one custom column which id read or not read yet, i have 12 libraries, my largest has 5 1/2 thousand books.
Any ideas?
Honest Fantasist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 10:00 AM   #8
Noughty
Addict

how long does it hangs? I think a few seconds are normal - I always had that. Over 15 seconds is annoying.

Do you have a lot of tags?

You said you only have one custom column which looks pretty simple, so it can't be just the columns.

I edited 4 books on the custom column with a few fixed values in bulk edit and it froze for 35 seconds. That's not normal.
When I installed 64 version I noticed the speed up, now it's gotten worse again.

I have latest version 64bit. And the problem definitely was with the version 9.12, don't know about others. Either something changed in calibre or something in my library. I wasn't messing with it lately.

Before with older versions of kindle hiding tag browser made it faster, now it doesn't help.

Last edited by Noughty; 01-23-2013 at 11:07 AM.
Old 01-23-2013, 11:46 AM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Disable your antivirus. That's the most likely culprit for speed issues.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 12:11 PM   #10
Noughty
Addict

After disabling antivirus freeze was 36 seconds after changing author to 10 books. So no improvement.

And the speed was fine then I first installed version 64 with the same antivirus
Old 01-24-2013, 01:30 PM   #11
calvin-c
Guru
calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moon+ Pro
Under no circumstances is disabling protective software a 'solution'. Doing so might be fine for diagnosing a problem but disabling it permanently ends with a corrupted computer.
calvin-c is offline   Reply With Quote