Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 07-09-2012, 06:42 AM   #541
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by 44reader View Post
"Remove non dc: metadata from manifest" is making the covers non-replaceable.
This will be the case, and it is intended behaviour. You shouldn't be running this option - it is only intended for users who are uploading their ePubs to certain websites for resale who have very strict validation that prevents such attributes from being rpesent. It is a dumb rule on the part of the websites, but it is what it is. Normal users should never have need of choosing this option - in fact as you found it can be self-destructive to do so as it removes a number of things that calibre puts in there that it makes use of.
kiwidude is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 06:49 AM   #542
44reader
Connoisseur
44reader can extract oil from cheese44reader can extract oil from cheese44reader can extract oil from cheese44reader can extract oil from cheese44reader can extract oil from cheese44reader can extract oil from cheese44reader can extract oil from cheese44reader can extract oil from cheese44reader can extract oil from cheese

Device: none
^ Oh! Thanks.
44reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-14-2012, 08:33 PM   #543
DMee
Zealot
DMee began at the beginning.

Device: ipad, iphone, kindle
Hi,

Been playing with Author checks - working well :-)

Found a couple of things that may need tweaking :-)

Its picking up some authors and I couldn't work out why - narrowed down to the suffix Jr. which plugin is obviously thinking should be J. R. :-) Not a biggie as I can just ignore them but may throw some people or if you implement my next suggestion may cause probs :-)

Is it possible to have a "Fix Author Initials"? - obviously cases like above have to be weeded out or manually not picked. I have hundreds "Incorrect" as to my liking and would prefer not to have to wade through then individually :-) unless theres some RegEx I can stick in Search/Replace to do job for me??
DMee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 08:58 PM   #544
DMee
Zealot

Oooooh - spotted one weird thing - dunno if its Plugin problem or Calibre

Ran Author Check
List of incorrects appears
I open Tag Browser - Manage Authors - search for first surname - correct initials withing Tag Browser - move on to next etc etc all fine. Decide to take a break, close down Tag Browser window

Main Calibre window which showing "marked:authors_incorrect_initials" in search bar, now the library view shows every book???

Clicked on "Enadle/Disable Highlighting" thinking something had gone wrong with that - no - it then shows all books with some highlighted - clicking again shows correct list of authors with incorrect initials.
Old 07-14-2012, 11:24 PM   #545
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMee View Post
Oooooh - spotted one weird thing - dunno if its Plugin problem or Calibre

Ran Author Check
List of incorrects appears
I open Tag Browser - Manage Authors - search for first surname - correct initials withing Tag Browser - move on to next etc etc all fine. Decide to take a break, close down Tag Browser window

Main Calibre window which showing "marked:authors_incorrect_initials" in search bar, now the library view shows every book???

Clicked on "Enadle/Disable Highlighting" thinking something had gone wrong with that - no - it then shows all books with some highlighted - clicking again shows correct list of authors with incorrect initials.
Did you make the setting for which 'Initials' format you were using in the Customize Plugin preference. A.(space)B. works (mostly. It flags all the Jr. authors)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-15-2012, 06:03 AM   #546
DMee
Zealot

Yes - customised to [A. B. ]

Jr.
Dr.
Ph.D.
Ed.

all trigger it :-)
Old 07-16-2012, 12:44 PM   #547
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMee View Post
Yes - customised to [A. B. ]

Jr.
Dr.
Ph.D.
Ed.

all trigger it :-)
There is logic in the plugin already for this, but it didn't handle permutations involving trailing periods. The Find Duplicates plugin I copied part of the logic from strips periods out, but of course I can't do that in this plugin because that rather defeats the point of what the check is trying to achieve.

I've put in place a more complex checking mechanism which should handle the most common permutations. However it also has to be balanced with a desire to not cause it to miss too many genuine initials. i.e. An author name "JR Ewing" should not be ignored just because the initials happen to match one of the special ignore words list. Likewise DR, ST etc. in the end the compromise I took was to rely on casing in combination. So Jr, Jr., jr and jr. will get ignored, but JR, JR. and J.R. will be treated as initials for consideration.
Old 07-16-2012, 12:48 PM   #548
DMee
Zealot

:-) Excellent
Old 07-17-2012, 02:30 PM   #549
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer

v1.9.3 Released

Changes in this release:
  • Tidy up the help file for some redundant/missing/renamed menu items
  • For "Check author initials" support more permutations of special cases to include trailing period - i.e. Jr. as well as Jr
  • In the config screen put a separate option groupbox in for the author initials setting
  • Add a "Reformat author initials" option to the "Fix" menu to reformat initials to your preference for authors on the selected books
  • Add a "Rename author to ascii" option to the "Fix" menu to rename author names to remove diatrics and accents
  • Enhance the "Repeat last action" tooltip to display what that last action was (in status bar)
Old 07-17-2012, 03:18 PM   #550
DMee
Zealot

I knew I should have waited. Spent ages correcting initials and non ASCII
Old 07-18-2012, 05:29 AM   #551
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
It has probably been requested earlier, but perhaps an option to validate the ePUB with either an online or an offline version of EpubCheck and/or FlightCrew?

Also a validation of the stylesheet would perhaps be an option, since a problem with the stylesheet will cause ADE base readers to ignore it. That would count as a quality issue...
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 10:25 AM   #552
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer

@Toxaris - FlightCrew has come up previously in the thread but I've never given it any serious thought.

Here are my opinions - and of course you or others may disagree, as I said I have used neither tool enough to know what one does that the other doesn't. However personally I find such tools to have close to zero value, for the simple reason that they produce too many false positives and noise. Every ePub pretty much will have some form of "Error" on nearly every html page. However for 99.99% of users out there these "errors" will have zero impact on the readability of the document and are of no interest whatsoever. That is not to say that there aren't checks in QC that don't visibly affect readability either - however *you* decide which things are important to you and are reported.

For instance I just ran ePubCheck against a retail ePub, and got a whole screen of errors. Every html page in the epub has a <meta name="Adept.resource value="xxx"/> tag in it. And ePubCheck flags this as an "error" because according to it value is not an allowed attribute there. If every ePub in your library is being flagged with these sort of nonsense "errors", to me it is a tool that adds zero value to a workflow. As a user you have to start filtering the output to visually ignore things. Then users would start saying "can't QC give me some sort of GUI to control which things get reported as errors" and basically it would end up becoming a beast in its own right with workarounds to compensate for a poorly designed tool. Add to that it is java and a complication to deploy/run and for me ePubCheck is a complete non-starter.

FlightCrew of course is now part of Sigil and I see its last release was Aug 2011. I have no idea what the roadmap for FlightCrew is - has it become a dead-end product now that it is in Sigil, and only Sigil will get any updates to it? Or is it continuing to be maintained but just hasn't had a need for a release?

From my quick experiments it seems to produce even more "noise" than ePubCheck - giving two error message lines for each occurrence of that value meta tag above. So again you would be battling the fact that every single ePub is going to show as "errored" and deal with tens of thousands of lines of log file output if you ran it across your library. On the plus side for FlightCrew vs ePubCheck it is better packaged/easier to run, and has the good sense to have error numbers in its output. So a gui for this tool to control the output would be more practical - assuming you were willing to trawl the source code to find all the error numbers and figure out whether they were things the average user would or would not care about. You would arguably be better off having a "FlightCrew" plugin for calibre with its own gui for controlling and working with it?

I also found it to be extremely slow to execute - at a rough guess about 7 seconds for a single ePub. So if you wanted to run it against a number of books in your library it would be come a "leave it overnight" activity. And if you are just running it one book at a time, why not hit Alt+E with the Open With plugin to bring it up in Sigil and validate it there? At least that way you can edit the Epub there and then to fix errors that you care about and revalidate it. Otherwise you have to trawl a log file, search for the book, and then launch Sigil...

I'm not saying "never" on FlightCrew for QC, I just need to be convinced it could be incorporated in a way that would add value. I'm sure there are genuine important errors that such tools identify, they just get lost in the snowstorm of output and obscure error messages. I'm just not sure at this point which mountain to move - put a gui with filtering on top of FlightCrew, or reimplement those "important" checks inside QC (and add a GUI to allow running multiple checks at once).

CSS validation I don't recall ever coming up on this thread (beyond the wish for detecting unused styles). I vaguely recall some discussion in the Sigil forum but I never paid any notice to it. It would have to be an offline option so if you have a particular candidate tool I'm happy to give it a quick whirl. Though of course it may suffer the same pitfalls as those other tools above and again be something that would be best implemented in Sigil...
Old 07-18-2012, 11:28 AM   #553
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

A long while ago I asked Valloric for a CLI to flightcrew (GUI) so I could use the Open With PI. It never happened.

For the QC It would be nice if it (the CLI) at least returned the counts: eg. 3W(arnings) 7E(rrors) that could be dumped into a custom column
Old 07-18-2012, 11:52 AM   #554
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer

@theducks - yeah I can see how that could be a more practical approach rather than trawling through logs. However I don't believe FlightCrew itself has any concept of what is a "Warning" vs what is an "Error". *Everything* is an "Error" just with a different code number.

I am guessing your comment is based on what you have seen in Sigil categorising those errors. It is my (guess) that Sigil has some code that is categorising those error numbers, which would need replicating into the plugin. And presumably the ability for the user to override these so that if they decide a supposed error is a warning to them or vice-versa they can do so to tune out the noise.
Old 07-18-2012, 12:04 PM   #555
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidude View Post
@theducks - yeah I can see how that could be a more practical approach rather than trawling through logs. However I don't believe FlightCrew itself has any concept of what is a "Warning" vs what is an "Error". *Everything* is an "Error" just with a different code number.

I am guessing your comment is based on what you have seen in Sigil categorising those errors. It is my (guess) that Sigil has some code that is categorising those error numbers, which would need replicating into the plugin. And presumably the ability for the user to override these so that if they decide a supposed error is a warning to them or vice-versa they can do so to tune out the noise.
The logs are colored Yellow for warnings, red for errors. There has to be some internal flag all we need to do is get that