Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 07-16-2020, 07:36 PM   #1
Kay Hemlock Brown
Kay Hemlock Brown began at the beginning.

Device: samsung galaxy tab E
Repeated Conversion

I just don't know how to start a new topic, so I'm putting this here.

I write stories for Smashwords, and convert them using Calibre, so that I can read them slowly and thoroughly, before uploading them. Or even after uploading them. My problem is that I end up with something like twelve versions of a single story, each of which was converted from Word into e-book form.

My question is this: can I save all my conversion parameters once and for all, and just apply them as a single omnibus macro? It is tedious to click on every single option I want to apply--and there are certainly a lot of them. Since I want to have it done the exact same way each time, I dearly wish I can save all my conversion parameters in a file, or something, which I can load as a parameter file!

I did have another question, but I've got so worked-up about this one that I have forgotten.

Oh. I seem to have registered myself as Kay Hemlock Brow, and forgotten the final 'n'. How do I go about changing my data, short of leaving the forum and rejoining it, and battling all the "we already have someone using your mail, so buzz off" sorts of notices?

Kay
Kay Hemlock Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 08:42 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4NT(Fixed,New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A, Kobo Aura2
Moved it for you.

OK New conversions use Preferences: <conversion section>

These are the DEFAULTS for first time (per book) conversion.
( you can click the button near the bottom of the conversion dialog, to cause it to forget previous settings)

EPUB Merge (PI) would be a possibility to merge books (your sections) into a whole
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-16-2020, 10:09 PM   #3
BetterRed
null operator
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kay Hemlock Brow View Post
I just don't know how to start a new topic, so I'm putting this here.

I write stories for Smashwords, and convert them using Calibre, so that I can read them slowly and thoroughly, before uploading them. Or even after uploading them. My problem is that I end up with something like twelve versions of a single story, each of which was converted from Word into e-book form.

My question is this: can I save all my conversion parameters once and for all, and just apply them as a single omnibus macro? It is tedious to click on every single option I want to apply--and there are certainly a lot of them. Since I want to have it done the exact same way each time, I dearly wish I can save all my conversion parameters in a file, or something, which I can load as a parameter file!

I did have another question, but I've got so worked-up about this one that I have forgotten.

Oh. I seem to have registered myself as Kay Hemlock Brow, and forgotten the final 'n'. How do I go about changing my data, short of leaving the forum and rejoining it, and battling all the "we already have someone using your mail, so buzz off" sorts of notices?

Kay
Re the user name - contact one of the admins (green user names) or post a request in Feedback

If you add the DOCX to calibre, you can open it in Word from Calibre (make sure DOCX in the Preferences->Behaviour->Use internal viewer for: list is unchecked.)

When you save and close the DOCX in Word, you can do the conversion using the settings you've set in Preferences as explained by theducks.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 07-16-2020 at 10:22 PM.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 04:39 AM   #4
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I've sent a PM about the user name change.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 09:03 AM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, iPad 4, iPhone SE 2020, PW3
Are you using styles for your eBooks? If you don't, then you probably will have rather sloppy code when it's converted to other eBook formats.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-17-2020, 01:32 PM   #6
Kay Hemlock Brown

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Are you using styles for your eBooks? If you don't, then you probably will have rather sloppy code when it's converted to other eBook formats.
I don't know how to use styles; I use styles in Word, but I didn't know it was possible to use styles in e-books.

It isn't the styles I have trouble with; it's mechanics: real problems. But I like to read it in an e-book, in bed, at night, etc, so reading it in Word is highly inconvenient! So far the e-books look fine (except for the sort of mistakes I'm trying to fix). Once I get it done, I upload the Word file to Smashwords, and let them do their thing. (Not sure whether I explained my problem well enough, and whether I understood your question well enough!) Thanks for responding.
Old 07-17-2020, 01:38 PM   #7
Kay Hemlock Brown

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
I've sent a PM about the user name change.
Did not get it. Not sure how to give you access to my private email using the forum, but I'm sure you have your ways!
Old 07-17-2020, 02:18 PM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kay Hemlock Brow View Post
Did not get it. Not sure how to give you access to my private email using the forum, but I'm sure you have your ways!
You should have seen a notice in the forum about a PM.
Greenies have a bit more access to your sign up details, than the res of us, so they may be able to use you email instead of PrivateMessage
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MRPM.JPG
Views:	14
Size:	14.0 KB
ID:	180720  
Old 07-17-2020, 02:28 PM   #9
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Kay Hemlock Brown has now seen the PM, so

Name change made.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 06:07 PM   #10
BetterRed
null operator
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@Kay Hemlock Brown - see post #3, it addresses your substantive issue.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 11:04 AM   #11
Kay Hemlock Brown

Epub Merge and (PI)

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
EPUB Merge (PI) would be a possibility to merge books (your sections) into a whole
Sounds lovely!

What is EPUB Merge?

What is PI?

Inquiring minds want to know. (I bet everyone but me knows :P)

Kay
Old 07-18-2020, 11:28 AM   #12
georgemk
Enthusiast
georgemk can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguegeorgemk can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguegeorgemk can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguegeorgemk can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguegeorgemk can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguegeorgemk can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguegeorgemk can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguegeorgemk can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguegeorgemk can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguegeorgemk can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguegeorgemk can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: nook
(PI) stands for "Plug In" and the EPUB Merge is one such plugin. Details of it can be found at https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=169744
georgemk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 11:46 AM   #13
Bookstooge
Addict
Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 1st Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kay Hemlock Brown View Post
Sounds lovely!

What is EPUB Merge?

What is PI?

Inquiring minds want to know. (I bet everyone but me knows :P)

Kay
Sometimes theDucks forgets that not everyone is as well versed as they are in "terms"...
Bookstooge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 06:54 PM   #14
Kay Hemlock Brown

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgemk View Post
(PI) stands for "Plug In" and the EPUB Merge is one such plugin. Details of it can be found at https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=169744
Thanks.

What I have is numerous versions of the same book, each successive one having fewer mistakes than the previous. I wish I could convert each new version, and retain the Author, Title, Cover Illustration, etc of the earlier versions... I don't think this merge utility will help. If I use it, I'll get a huge document, with each of my earlier versions all compiled into a single volume.

I fully realize that Calibre was not intended to solve my problem! But using the Preferences to set (sticky) parameters will certainly solve part of my problem, namely to convert efficiently.
Old 07-18-2020, 08:08 PM   #15
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kay Hemlock Brown View Post
Thanks.

What I have is numerous versions of the same book, each successive one having fewer mistakes than the previous. I wish I could convert each new version, and retain the Author, Title, Cover Illustration, etc of the earlier versions... I don't think this merge utility will help. If I use it, I'll get a huge document, with each of my earlier versions all compiled into a single volume.

I fully realize that Calibre was not intended to solve my problem! But using the Preferences to set (sticky) parameters will certainly solve part of my problem, namely to convert efficiently.
Merge is intended to combine book. As in make an Omnibus out of 2 books.
FWIW there is also an EPUB Split that does the opposite

Conversion will pull from Calibre GUI (assumes you used the GUI).
If you open the Metadata Editor (MDE), you can right click: Copy the cover.
Then open the target MDE and right click: Paste cover into the cover area.
Also fix any metadata. If it has been used, it will be available in the help pulldown that appears when you start typing a value