Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 11-17-2010, 12:03 PM   #1
andreapitt
andreapitt began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
installation error message

I have tried installing calibre but just get the following error message when trying to set up a calibre library. i have re installed but still get the same. Help

ERROR: Bad database location: Bad database location u'C:\\Documents and Settings\\Name\\My Documents\\Andrea\\calibre'. Will start with a new, empty calibre library

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\main.py", line 205, in initialize_db
File "site-packages\calibre\library\database2.py", line 154, in __init__
File "site-packages\calibre\library\database2.py", line 124, in connect
WindowsError: [Error 32] The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process: u'C:\\Documents and Settings\\Name\\My Documents\\Andrea\\calibre\\metadata.db'
andreapitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 12:31 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreapitt View Post
I have tried installing calibre but just get the following error message when trying to set up a calibre library. i have re installed but still get the same. Help

ERROR: Bad database location: Bad database location u'C:\\Documents and Settings\\Name\\My Documents\\Andrea\\calibre'. Will start with a new, empty calibre library

WindowsError: [Error 32] The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process: u'C:\\Documents and Settings\\Name\\My Documents\\Andrea\\calibre\\metadata.db'
By any chance does your username have accented letters?
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-17-2010, 01:08 PM   #3
andreapitt
andreapitt began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
No it doesn't
andreapitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 02:16 PM   #4
MLR
MLR began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
I'm also getting an error message when trying to setup a calibre library:

ERROR: Bad database location: Bad database location u'C:/Documents and Settings/Owner/My Documents'. calibre will now quit.

File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\main.py", line 191, in initialize_db_stage2
WindowsError: [Error 32] The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process: u'C:/Documents and Settings/Owner/My Documents\\metadata.db'
MLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 02:56 PM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
reboot, then start calibre from the command line as

calibre.exe --with-library "c:\path\to\some empty folder"
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-20-2010, 04:14 PM   #6
kili0fi
kili0fi began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PC
Hi, i'm getting similar error.
ERROR: Bad database location: Bad database location 'C:\\Users\\User\\Calibre Library'. Will start with a new, empty calibre library

File "site-packages\calibre\library\database2.py", line 129, in __init__
File "site-packages\calibre\library\database2.py", line 99, in connect
WindowsError: [Error 32] The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process: 'C:\\Users\\User\\Calibre Library\\metadata.db'
The version is 0.7.29. Windows is 7.
Occurs after reboot, reinstall, after removing calibre directory in appdata\Roaming and with --with-library
I watched with sysinternals procmon, what calibre does. It actually can create the file metadata.db, write and close. But when doing something after first use in the process, it fails. The real windows error is "sharing violation". It seems to occur when the program does CreateFile with options read_attributes+delete. Earlier it does successfully CreateFile with only read_atributes. Note that the code may call something else, like open, but eventually they turn to CreateFile calls.
kili0fi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 09:02 PM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Then you have some other program simultaneously accessing the metadata.db file, most probably security software.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote