Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 11-19-2017, 04:03 PM   #1
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
It's the most horrible song of the year....

In another thread, in another forum, Tom posted:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
I could live the rest of my life without another hearing of Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer or those damn Chipmunks. And what kind of dork thinks a drum solo is a fitting gift for a newborn?
So I thought it's time for a retread of the ever-popular theme, "What Christmas songs drive you absolutely around the bend?"

As for me, as annoying as the novelty songs are, they're not nearly as bad as the worst pop Christmas songs. Off the top of my head, here are three that take me right out of the holiday mood.
  • Mariah Carey, "All I Want for Christmas Is You"
  • Paul McCartney, "Wonderful Christmas Time
  • Madonna, "Santa Baby"

I'm also irritated by Eartha Kitt doing the last, but not as much as by Madonna.

I'm sure others have equally worthy, or unworthy, candidates that are also in my billboard of worsts. So have at it.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 04:38 PM   #2
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
In another thread, in another forum, Tom posted:

So I thought it's time for a retread of the ever-popular theme, "What Christmas songs drive you absolutely around the bend?"

As for me, as annoying as the novelty songs are, they're not nearly as bad as the worst pop Christmas songs. Off the top of my head, here are three that take me right out of the holiday mood.
  • Mariah Carey, "All I Want for Christmas Is You"
  • Paul McCartney, "Wonderful Christmas Time
  • Madonna, "Santa Baby"

I'm also irritated by Eartha Kitt doing the last, but not as much as by Madonna.

I'm sure others have equally worthy, or unworthy, candidates that are also in my billboard of worsts. So have at it.
I gotta defend the Chipmunks. The Chipmunk Song is one of the best pop Christmas songs ever and Bob Rivers does an excellent parody of it.

Mariah and Eartha both have great songs.

I definitely agree with you on the Grandma/Reindeer song, it drives me up a wall. Madonna is also out and McCartney is tolerable.

For the most part, modern Christmas songs are horrible. I prefer the standards form the 40s, 50s, 60s and rock/parodies from the 70s and 80s.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-19-2017, 05:47 PM   #3
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
I'll add "Feliz Navidad" to this list of over played losers ....

esp. after watching "Fargo" ... remember the bar scene?
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 06:31 PM   #4
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
David Bowie/Bing Crosby The Little Drummer Boy.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 06:33 PM   #5
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Here are a few more horribles:

* I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus -- Jimmy Boyd (1952)

* I Want a Hippopotamus for Christmas -- Gayla Peevey (1953)

* Do They Know It's Christmas? -- Band Aid (1984)

...and anything by the Jackson 5/ Michael Jackson
Advert
Old 11-19-2017, 06:33 PM   #6
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
David Bowie/Bing Crosby The Little Drummer Boy.
I love that version
Old 11-19-2017, 07:05 PM   #7
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
I love that version
That doesn't surprise me.
Old 11-21-2017, 11:15 AM   #8
silverraven
Guru
silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle 4NTB x 4
I HATE this song. Instant click of the radio station if it comes on while driving!

It just kills my mood every time!
But I love the chipmunk song. I *think* I still have the original LP from when I was a kid with that song on it.
And I love the David Bowie/Bing Crosby song. Mariah's gets on my nerves though. Her voice just grates on my ears.
S

Last edited by issybird; 11-21-2017 at 11:50 AM. Reason: Fixed link.
silverraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 06:25 PM   #9
5thWiggleWife
I’m a Happy Boy!
5thWiggleWife ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggleWife ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggleWife ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggleWife ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggleWife ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggleWife ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggleWife ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggleWife ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggleWife ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggleWife ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggleWife ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2017, Acer A500, Kobo Glo, iPad mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverraven View Post
I HATE this song. Instant click of the radio station if it comes on while driving!
I wholeheartedly agree. The song comes on and the radio goes off. It’s like a malevolent greeting card.
5thWiggleWife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 06:34 PM   #10
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverraven View Post

It just kills my mood every time!
But I love the chipmunk song. I *think* I still have the original LP from when I was a kid with that song on it.
And I love the David Bowie/Bing Crosby song. Mariah's gets on my nerves though. Her voice just grates on my ears.
S
Never heard it and not clicking.
Old 11-21-2017, 06:47 PM   #11
silverraven
Guru
silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle 4NTB x 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
Never heard it and not clicking.
Have a box of tissues if you dare click!!
S
silverraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 06:54 PM   #12
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
So many Grinches and Scrooges! Once Thanksgiving is over, I load up my mp3 player with a few thousand Christmas songs and put it on shuffle. I listen to Chipmunks and Tchaikovsky, Rat Pack and "Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree," Mantovani and the Messiah. I love it all!
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 07:06 PM   #13
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
I was in Disneyland a couple weeks ago and they have re-worked It's a Small World for the holidays. It now sings a medley of "It's a Small World" and "Jingle Bells". Still trying to get that out of my head. AHHH!!!!
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 07:57 PM   #14
Hemmi
Grand Sorcerer
Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sonys, Nooks, Kobo Libra, Forma, Mini, Paperwhite
The only Christmas song I can't stand is The Little Drummer Boy. Love the Chipmuks and Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer.

I also greatly enjoy the It's A Small World ride at Disneyland. I could sing that song forever!
Hemmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 08:25 PM   #15
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
I have always loved Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer!
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote