Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 02-10-2011, 09:50 AM   #1
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
Question for those that are reading on a smart phone

I am interested in possibly migrating to using my blackberry as an electronic reader but I have one concern. Is the battery on your blackberry up to powering the berry for long enough for you to read part of a book each day? I would estimate that I would use approximatly three hours of book reading per day. I have a blackberry tour 9630.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 11:10 AM   #2
BoiseShan
Connoisseur
BoiseShan is less competitive than you.BoiseShan is less competitive than you.BoiseShan is less competitive than you.BoiseShan is less competitive than you.BoiseShan is less competitive than you.BoiseShan is less competitive than you.BoiseShan is less competitive than you.BoiseShan is less competitive than you.BoiseShan is less competitive than you.BoiseShan is less competitive than you.BoiseShan is less competitive than you.

Device: Kindle
I use the Kindle app (usually) on my Droid to read. I've found that I can easily read through a cross-country flight of several hours. I'll also use Overdrive when I have to, but the power drain with that is significantly more.
BoiseShan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 11:11 AM   #3
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
Any blackberry users read a book on your berrys? Is the battery up to the task?
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 11:25 AM   #4
elsussman
Connoisseur
elsussman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elsussman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elsussman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elsussman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elsussman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elsussman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elsussman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elsussman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elsussman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elsussman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elsussman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle paperwhite, kindle voyage and android kindle app
I read on my blackberry torch using the kindle app. I do not own a kindle. Before the torch I read using mobipocket on a palm treo 750. The torch battery is certainly sufficient for reading at least 2 or 3 hour stretch. The only time I read on paper is when the book is not available electronically. I find the convenience ease and portability of reading on the torch ideal
elsussman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 11:29 AM   #5
Namekuseijin
affordable chipmunk
Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony XPeria ZL, Kindle Paperwhite
I don't have a Blackberry, but an Android. Androids are notorious power suckers. It so turns out that I quickly found out the one activity besides phoning that made the batteries last longer was precisely e-reading -- specially if you go white letters on black background.

I get about 3 hours worth of web browsing, taking photos, watching videos and all else -- then I gotta plug it into the USB PC port while at work. But if I just read ebooks, I believe it can endure all day long. Never tried it, because I mix e-reading with web browsing, but I'll try it when I get home today, after it's charged 100%...
Namekuseijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 11:37 AM   #6
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
Don't know about blackberry, sorry, but reading on my iPhone doesn't appear to drain the battery anymore than running any other non-net connected app. If I'm listening to podcasts (via the web), that can suck battery life rather quickly.

I can't imagine the Blackberry is any different.

Lee
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 04:21 PM   #7
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
I had a storm and it was up to the task, I've read several books that way. I now have an android phone and a nook and both devices hold up well. The tour has even more battery life so you should be fine.

Probably the biggest drawback you will have is the small screen size, you will be paging a lot.
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 09:02 PM   #8
Namekuseijin
affordable chipmunk
Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

hi, unfortunately, I wasn't able to hold to my promise of only ereading: after some good 2 hours of reading alone (finished "Murders of Rue Morgue"), I took a break on some web browsing elsewhere and my daughter played Angry Birds for awhile. It's currently at about 20% right now, 4 hours straight of varied usage, mostly reading.

I'll turn now just to ereading again to find out how much more it can endure with such low charge...

*edit*
I was able to get one more hour out of those 20%. If I can get pretty decent 5 hours worth of usage on various activities, sure I can get at least 7 hours out of plain ereading...

Last edited by Namekuseijin; 02-11-2011 at 09:04 AM.
Old 02-11-2011, 11:17 AM   #9
mostlynovels
mostlynovels doesn't littermostlynovels doesn't littermostlynovels doesn't litter

Device: past: Bookeen (2yrs); present: laptop(WinXP), 3.5"phone(WinMob6.5)
Maximize Battery Life

Can Maximize Battery Life by
- Reduce screen's brightness (but do need high brightness in or near outside light).
- Don't use auto scrolling.

Can Minimize Screen's Brightness AND Eye Strain by
- Use white text on black background and then experiment further reducing brightness.
_
mostlynovels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 12:18 PM   #10
Namekuseijin
affordable chipmunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by mostlynovels View Post
Can Maximize Battery Life by
- Reduce screen's brightness (but do need high brightness in or near outside light).
- Don't use auto scrolling.

Can Minimize Screen's Brightness AND Eye Strain by
- Use white text on black background and then experiment further reducing brightness.
_
yes, I realized those.

still, in a bus in movement, best bet is black letters on white paper: bright white letters on black background shaking all along is a mess to read.
Old 02-11-2011, 12:22 PM   #11
jlmwrite
Zealot
jlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Samsung Tab S8.4, Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge
I have an AT&T Tilt 2 (Windows 6.5) smartphone. I used it as my only e-reader (first with MobiPocket and later with Freda) until I got a Kindle 3 late last year, then my NC after Christmas this year.

It wasn't at all uncommon for me to read an hour or two at a stretch with my phone, in addition to texting with my kiddos, a bit of light web surfing, and of course a couple of phone calls. There were days with kid sports practices when I'd have read for up to 4 hours total in a day. Even with extremely heavy use, my Tilt 2 only needs to be charged every 36 hours or so.

The one advantage my phone has over my e-readers is that my phone is always with me.

Don't know if the BB is up to it or not. I have a co-worker with a Storm and his battery is sucked down in 12 hours from talking, texting and music.
jlmwrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 08:33 AM   #12
Crowl
Wizard
Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, PW Signature edition
I don't tend to use it a lot as my kindle is small enough to fit in a jacket pocket anyway, but the blackberry works just fine as an ebook reader and there are no problems with battery life since it is not a use that drains the battery a lot such as making a lot of calls because you aren't using the wireless radio.
Crowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 09:31 AM   #13
dmacmart
Fanatic
dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Glo, Arc, H2O, iPhone, iPad 2, (husband)Touch
I have a Richard Solo 1800 portable battery charger for my iPhone (actually I now have 2) which each extend the battery life by 100%. Useful for travelling. The first one I bought has lost some oomph but I use my iPhone A LOT!

I got them from richardsolo.com. They also make a Blackberry model. There are other models, smaller and less power or heavier and more powerful.

Also zagg.com sells at least one model (ZAGGsparq) which powers USB devices. Until tomorrow, you get free earbuds with a ZAGGsparq
http://www.zagg.com/j/promo/buysparq-freebuds.php
They normally sell for $49.99 I believe.

There are probably other options out there, but those are the two I know of.
dmacmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 12:36 AM   #14
SlowRain
Addict
SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: HTC 10, Asus Phonepad
I don't use a Blackberry, but a Samsung Galaxy S (Android). Like many have suggested, I turn my reading software's background to black and the text to grey. Android also has an app called Screen Filter, which will allow you to set the screen brightness to below the manufacturer's default minimum. That's especially handy for reading at night, but I use it during the day too. See if Blackberry has a similar app.
SlowRain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 01:15 AM   #15
RolandD
Fanatic
RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch is now my main eReader.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post
I am interested in possibly migrating to using my blackberry as an electronic reader but I have one concern. Is the battery on your blackberry up to powering the berry for long enough for you to read part of a book each day? I would estimate that I would use approximatly three hours of book reading per day. I have a blackberry tour 9630.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post
Any blackberry users read a book on your berrys? Is the battery up to the task?
Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
I had a storm and it was up to the task, I've read several books that way. I now have an android phone and a nook and both devices hold up well. The tour has even more battery life so you should be fine.

Probably the biggest drawback you will have is the small screen size, you will be paging a lot.
My Storm 2 is my sole reading device. I really don't notice any significant battery drain due to reading. Most days I read at least two or three hours every day. As for screen size, I started reading on my Pearl. It wasn't the best way to read, but it was serviceable. A Tour should be better.
RolandD is offline   Reply With Quote