Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 11-21-2017, 01:23 PM   #1
pshoebri
pshoebri began at the beginning.

Device: ipad / osx / ios
Is Calibre right for this application?

Hi there, new to the epub world, but have experience in traditional book design.

I'm creating kind of a kooky project, which has animated gifs (converted to mp4s) alongside text. So, a moving picture book.

I've created it in indesign cc, and am exporting fixed layout epubs there. The resulting file sizes are pretty big, and a bit clunky. I'd like to have more control over the coding (turning off controller overlays, adding audio controls, etc.)

Is Calibre the right application for this? Or should I go directly to a coder to assist?

thanks
pshoebri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 03:01 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Regardless of the creation platform, this will fail on older e-ink devices.
e-ink screens typically gets 'painted', then the device sleeps (the image stays without power) until a page turn or other user action (besides starring)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 03:52 PM   #3
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by pshoebri View Post
Hi there, new to the epub world, but have experience in traditional book design.

I'm creating kind of a kooky project, which has animated gifs (converted to mp4s) alongside text. So, a moving picture book.

I've created it in indesign cc, and am exporting fixed layout epubs there. The resulting file sizes are pretty big, and a bit clunky. I'd like to have more control over the coding (turning off controller overlays, adding audio controls, etc.)

Is Calibre the right application for this? Or should I go directly to a coder to assist?

thanks
Calibre is a primarily an e-book library tool, that can inter-operate with lots of different e-book readers.

You should also consider the Sigil editor, it may be more amenable to doing the sort of things you want to do. Most professional e-book makers use Sigil, its been around a lot longer than the calibre editor.

I use both editors.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 11-21-2017 at 03:55 PM.
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote