Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-10-2017, 09:34 AM   #1
baskerville
Evangelist
baskerville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baskerville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baskerville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baskerville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baskerville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baskerville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baskerville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baskerville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baskerville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baskerville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baskerville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Aura ONE
Plato: A document reader for PDF, ePUB, DjVu, etc.

Plato is a document reader for Kobo's e-readers.

It was tested on the following devices:
  • Elipsa 2E.
  • Clara 2E.
  • Libra 2.
  • Sage.
  • Elipsa.
  • Nia.
  • Libra H₂O.
  • Forma.
  • Clara HD.
  • Aura H₂O Edition 2.
  • Aura Edition 2.
  • Aura ONE.
  • Glo HD.
  • Aura H₂O.
  • Aura.
  • Glo.
  • Touch C.
  • Touch B.

Any 4.X.Y firmware, with X ≥ 6, will do.

I wrote a guide and a manual.

If you're looking for an english dictionary, you might be interested in my custom version of WordNet 3.1: place wn-xml.* in the dictionaries directory and dictionary-user.css in the css directory.

You can convert StarDict dictionaries using sdunpack (pre-built binaries are available for Linux, macOS and Windows).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot01.png
Views:	11938
Size:	241.4 KB
ID:	166630   Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot02.png
Views:	9988
Size:	216.6 KB
ID:	166631   Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot03.png
Views:	9193
Size:	240.0 KB
ID:	166632   Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot04.png
Views:	6779
Size:	92.3 KB
ID:	170144  

Last edited by baskerville; 09-14-2023 at 03:59 PM. Reason: Add the Nia to the list of supported devices
baskerville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 05:58 AM   #2
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Looking at the github repository:

Quote:
plato is a document reader for Kobo's e-ink devices.

It was tested on a Glo HD and an Aura ONE.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 07:38 AM   #3
compurandom
Guru
compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo aura h2o, kobo forma
Binaries? Install instructions??
compurandom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 08:01 AM   #4
doubleshuffle
Unicycle Daredevil
doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD (R.I.P. After six years the USB socket died.) tolino shine 3
I think I'll give this a pass until non-programmers like me can install it without having to spend a whole day on it.
doubleshuffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 08:23 AM   #5
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Moved to the dev forum
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 04:22 PM   #6
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
I was interested until I looked at the guide and realised that I just cannot be bothered with so much fiddling.
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 05:36 PM   #7
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
There is a plato.sh that you would have after moving the plato folder into .adds. You could try running that from KSM.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 09:42 PM   #8
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Aura Edition 2 v1, Clara HD
Great job on the reader so far! You may want to improve the build and fmon docs, as it took me about 20 mins to get this to build, and another 15 to get this to work (including reading the source for some info not in the docs), and I already have experience with this kind of thing.

Last edited by geek1011; 12-13-2017 at 11:04 PM.
geek1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 05:16 AM   #9
baskerville
Evangelist
baskerville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baskerville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baskerville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baskerville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baskerville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baskerville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baskerville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baskerville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baskerville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baskerville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baskerville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by geek1011 View Post
You may want to improve the build and fmon docs, as it took me about 20 mins to get this to build, and another 15 to get this to work (including reading the source for some info not in the docs), and I already have experience with this kind of thing.
Thanks for trying and congratulations.

I'd like to known what was missing from the docs: it would be great if you could find the time to create issues on the GitHub page.

Although this reader is built around the idea of having good, easily modifiable metadata, I'm going to give a hint on how to speed up the initial import process: the steps involving the -S and -R flags can be skipped.

Last edited by baskerville; 12-14-2017 at 12:21 PM.
Old 12-14-2017, 08:24 AM   #10
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by baskerville View Post
Thanks for trying and congratulations.

I'd like to known what was missing from the docs: it would be great if you could find the time to create issues on the GitHub page.

Although this reader is built around the idea of having good, easily modifiable metadata, I'm going to give a hint on how to speed up the initial importation process: the steps involving the -S and -R flags can be skipped.
Ok. I don't have much time right now, but I'll submit a pr later.

A few quick things here:
- In the guide, the cargo --feature flag is actually --features, I think that was a typo.
- It is unclear where the libs dir goes, the only way I found it was by looking at the gitignore file, and creating it.
- It would be nice to have static builds (but I don't know enough about your code yet to see if it is possible, and I don't know much rust).
- In English, it is not importation (bad grammar), it is importing.
- For most people who follow the guide, it is unclear whether the importing step is required, and if you don't do the importing step, the reader appears to crash, with a error message in the log (which most people wouldn't understand).
- It would be good to add uninstallation instructions (from reading the code, it seems like all you need to do is delete the .adds and icons folder, because you added checks, great job on this part -- I like the design of the scripts)
- It took a few mins to figure out the required deps, maybe say what debian packages to install
- It would be nice to make an automated makefile for building.
- A few more things, mostly about the same topic

By the way, your code looks nice and well designed.

Hint: some screenshots would be nice, I couldn't wait to try it (I love all ebook related software).
Old 12-16-2017, 02:21 PM   #11
taos
Connoisseur
taos can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.taos can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.taos can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.taos can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.taos can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.taos can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.taos can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.taos can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.taos can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.taos can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.taos can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Kobo Glo HD
Can I ask which operating system / distribution you used to successfully compile plato?

With arch linux (packages for rust/rustup, libmupdf, djvulibre installed) I get stuck when I build the importer, with Kubuntu 16.04 LTS (rustc, cargo, libdjvulibre21, libdjvulibre-dev, libmupdf-dev installed) even earlier when I try to build the mupdfwrapper.

I'm not familiar with rust so I guess I overlooked something.

Installation on the Kobo with the files from plato.zip worked fine, I can start plato either via fmon from nickel or by a script I wrote and put in the userscript folder of KSM. Unfortunately, plato crashes immediately because there's no database yet (at least, that's what the crash.log suggests). Running
Code:
plato -Z /mnt/onboard/.test
directly on the Kobo (either from KSM's kbterminal or from script) doesn't work because it seems that plato can't find the libmupdf.so library (error message from kbterminal).
taos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 02:51 PM   #12
geek1011
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by taos View Post
Can I ask which operating system / distribution you used to successfully compile plato?

With arch linux (packages for rust/rustup, libmupdf, djvulibre installed) I get stuck when I build the importer, with Kubuntu 16.04 LTS (rustc, cargo, libdjvulibre21, libdjvulibre-dev, libmupdf-dev installed) even earlier when I try to build the mupdfwrapper.

I'm not familiar with rust so I guess I overlooked something.

Installation on the Kobo with the files from plato.zip worked fine, I can start plato either via fmon from nickel or by a script I wrote and put in the userscript folder of KSM. Unfortunately, plato crashes immediately because there's no database yet (at least, that's what the crash.log suggests). Running
Code:
directly on the Kobo (either from KSM's kbterminal or from script) doesn't work because it seems that plato can't find the libmupdf.so library (error message from kbterminal).
I used Debian sid. For the mupdf wrapper, make sure you adjust the path in the command. I also had problems with the distro package for mupdf, so I build it from source into a temp folder, then copied the lib.
Old 12-16-2017, 04:10 PM   #13
jcn363
absolute beginner
jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ka1
Two bricks hear.
I think... a step by step, how-to, doc... is needed or perhaps

Good luck.
jcn363 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 04:17 PM   #14
baskerville
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by taos View Post
Running
Code:
directly on the Kobo
The binary that ships in the archive is the reader: it doesn't take any argument.

I'm working on simplifying all this: it would probably make more sense for the reader to do a quick import (equivalent to plato -I) if the database is missing.

Bear with me!
Old 12-16-2017, 04:22 PM   #15
jcn363
absolute beginner
jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jcn363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ka1
Quote:
Originally Posted by baskerville View Post
Bear with me!
Don't worry, I'll don't give up!

Good luck.
jcn363 is offline   Reply With Quote