Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-07-2022, 04:24 AM   #31
r3turn3r
r3turn3r began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Hey, I have a problem here.

I've recently switched to Linux, so I'm kinda noob all-around.
So to my problem: I use kepubify with my book -> it outputs as kepub.epub -> I add it to Calibre -> send it to my device (Libra 1, latest firmware). For some reason, the book shows up as a regular epub on Libra, not as kobo epub. What am I doing wrong here?

I've tried it with several books, with both online and downloaded kepubify versions. I seem to remember it working fine on Windows. I assume it's something Calibre-related, been awhile since I've messed with it. What am I missing? Teach me your masterful ways, please
r3turn3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2022, 05:16 AM   #32
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Maybe missing Windows.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-07-2022, 10:02 AM   #33
ps67
Guru
ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Elipsa, Pocketbook Color PB633, Inkpad Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by r3turn3r View Post
Hey, I have a problem here.

I've recently switched to Linux, so I'm kinda noob all-around.
So to my problem: I use kepubify with my book -> it outputs as kepub.epub -> I add it to Calibre -> send it to my device (Libra 1, latest firmware). For some reason, the book shows up as a regular epub on Libra, not as kobo epub. What am I doing wrong here?

I've tried it with several books, with both online and downloaded kepubify versions. I seem to remember it working fine on Windows. I assume it's something Calibre-related, been awhile since I've messed with it. What am I missing? Teach me your masterful ways, please
Kepubify with Linux works well here. If You open Your *.kepub.epub book with Sigil or with the calibre editor outside calibre, do You see something like <span class="koboSpan" id="kobo.3.1"> ecc? What if You don't use calibre to sideload the book but do it with Your file manager?

May be that calibre itself send the normal epub and not the *.kepub.epub book to Your Libra. Did You set the driver configuration to send the kepub file?

I seldom use kepubify but when I use it I create a *.kepub file using the --calibre option (and the -i option) and then I add it to calibre. At the end I sideload it to my Kobo. Calibre will send it as *.kepub.epub file.

Last edited by ps67; 09-07-2022 at 10:06 AM.
ps67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2022, 04:23 PM   #34
r3turn3r
r3turn3r began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps67 View Post
Kepubify with Linux works well here. If You open Your *.kepub.epub book with Sigil or with the calibre editor outside calibre, do You see something like <span class="koboSpan" id="kobo.3.1"> ecc? What if You don't use calibre to sideload the book but do it with Your file manager?

May be that calibre itself send the normal epub and not the *.kepub.epub book to Your Libra. Did You set the driver configuration to send the kepub file?

I seldom use kepubify but when I use it I create a *.kepub file using the --calibre option (and the -i option) and then I add it to calibre. At the end I sideload it to my Kobo. Calibre will send it as *.kepub.epub file.
Thanks man, got it to work now by configuring the driver in Calibre!
r3turn3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2022, 02:48 PM   #35
npr
Zealot
npr can name that ebook in five wordsnpr can name that ebook in five wordsnpr can name that ebook in five wordsnpr can name that ebook in five wordsnpr can name that ebook in five wordsnpr can name that ebook in five wordsnpr can name that ebook in five wordsnpr can name that ebook in five wordsnpr can name that ebook in five wordsnpr can name that ebook in five wordsnpr can name that ebook in five words

Device: Kobo Glo, Aura, H2OE2, Libra 2
From the kepubify web site I've tried the instruction to convert my calibre library with kepubify. All went well until the last line (add to calibredb) which took ages to complete, something like 30 minuets, is there something wrong with line No4.
Just adding one epub and converting it to kepub it again takes ages to add the database, there must be a better way.

Kepubify BTW is fantastic and doesn't have the problems I was having with the kepub converter plugin.

Open PowerShell.
Type $library = "C:\path\to\Calibre Library\", setting your library path accordingly, and press enter. This will set the path used in the next two commands.
Type C:\path\to\kepubify.exe --calibre --update --inplace "$library", setting the path to kepubify accordingly, and press enter. This will convert any unconverted books. If you also want to re-convert books which are already converted, remove the --update.
Type dir -Path "$library" -Filter *.kepub -Recurse | %{calibredb add -m 'ignore' $_.FullName} and press enter. This will add the converted books to the Calibre database.
npr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-13-2022, 10:22 PM   #36
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Aura Edition 2 v1, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by npr View Post
From the kepubify web site I've tried the instruction to convert my calibre library with kepubify. All went well until the last line (add to calibredb) which took ages to complete, something like 30 minuets, is there something wrong with line No4.
Just adding one epub and converting it to kepub it again takes ages to add the database, there must be a better way.

Kepubify BTW is fantastic and doesn't have the problems I was having with the kepub converter plugin.

Open PowerShell.
Type $library = "C:\path\to\Calibre Library\", setting your library path accordingly, and press enter. This will set the path used in the next two commands.
Type C:\path\to\kepubify.exe --calibre --update --inplace "$library", setting the path to kepubify accordingly, and press enter. This will convert any unconverted books. If you also want to re-convert books which are already converted, remove the --update.
Type dir -Path "$library" -Filter *.kepub -Recurse | %{calibredb add -m 'ignore' $_.FullName} and press enter. This will add the converted books to the Calibre database.
It's since it calls calibredb on all kepubs, including the old ones. You could try adding `$curdate = (Get-Date)` before kepubify and `| Where-Object { $_.CreationTime -gt $curdate}` before calibredb.
geek1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2022, 02:51 PM   #37
npr
Zealot
npr can name that ebook in five wordsnpr can name that ebook in five wordsnpr can name that ebook in five wordsnpr can name that ebook in five wordsnpr can name that ebook in five wordsnpr can name that ebook in five wordsnpr can name that ebook in five wordsnpr can name that ebook in five wordsnpr can name that ebook in five wordsnpr can name that ebook in five wordsnpr can name that ebook in five words

Thank for the reply, it works but has the following problem.
Unfortunately if it's run without first closing Calibre (easy mistake to make) then it throws a error after the conversion and stops before adding to the db, running again to add the kepubs to the database fails presumably because the date/time check fails the date of the previously converted books. Also converting a large number (tested with 100 books), some must fail the date/time check because not all are added to the database. The only way I found to recover from this is to run the original script.
If you find time to look in to this, can I suggest running kepubify in "verbose" mode may be a way forward, the log this produces lists the converted books which need to be added to the db.
Old 09-21-2022, 10:33 AM   #38
npr
Zealot

For completeness:
I settled on the following small change to the above script. This allows a one hour window to complete adding the newly created kepub's to calibre's database.

$ts = New-TimeSpan -Days 0 -Hours 1 -Minutes 0
$library = "D:\Calibre_Library\"
$curdate = (get-date) - $ts
D:\kepubify\kepubify-windows-64bit.exe --calibre --update --inplace "$library"
dir -Path "$library" -Filter *.kepub -Recurse | Where-Object { $_.CreationTime -gt $curdate} | %{calibredb add -m 'ignore' $_.FullName}
Old 11-13-2022, 12:35 AM   #39
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I don't know if kepubify is supposed to do this, but I had an EPUB that wouldn't allow me to change the font face, and after using kepubify on it, I'm able to change the font, so thank you!
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2022, 09:36 AM   #40
retro
Groupie
retro doesn't litterretro doesn't litterretro doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Clara Blue PRS 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
All of that is why I usually use the word "transform" for what the KoboTouchExtended driver does. Calibre's conversion does so much more, and there is a plugin for kepub conversion, so I want to make the distinction. What kepubify does is basically the same as the extended driver, so I'd use transform for it as well.
I have 2 particular epub web novels that error out when sending to device with KTE and when just converting with calibre. BUT, I can use kepubify, add to calibre (which removes the .kepub part), then it convert or sends fine.

Any idea why that works?

God bless davidfor, I miss him.
retro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2023, 05:42 PM   #41
linguinee
linguinee began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura HD; Kobo Libra H20
Unsuccessful getting Kepubify to work with Mint 21.2

I'm embarrassed I can't get kepubify to work. D/led the 64bit Linux version, run chmod -x on the binary, but am stuck because kepubify doesn't respond to drag and drop and (not surprisingly) the terminal doesn't recognize the kepubify command--does it belong in a special directory? Any help appreciated.
linguinee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2023, 10:05 PM   #42
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
From the command line you can either specify the whole path to where the program is /home/me/downloaded/kepubify
Or if you're IIN the same directory as it
./kepubify

Now did you mean chmod -x (remove executable setting) or chmod +x (set executable setting)?

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2023, 09:51 AM   #43
linguinee
linguinee began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura HD; Kobo Libra H20
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
From the command line you can either specify the whole path to where the program is /home/me/downloaded/kepubify
Or if you're IIN the same directory as it
./kepubify

Now did you mean chmod -x (remove executable setting) or chmod +x (set executable setting)?

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk
Alright, got it to work now. Thank you.
linguinee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2023, 10:15 AM   #44
Lordblacknail
Zealot
Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libre 2 Oasis Many Fires Galaxy Tab S7 Plus
what in the wide world of sports is the difference between epub and kepub?????? why would i care? inquiring minds want to know.
Lordblacknail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2023, 10:15 AM   #45
Lordblacknail
Zealot
Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libre 2 Oasis Many Fires Galaxy Tab S7 Plus
oh and merry christmas
Lordblacknail is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
conversion, epub, kepub, kepubify