Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-10-2019, 09:11 PM   #1
droopy
Guru
droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
Question Where on the internet can I see the notes/highlights I've made on sideloaded books?

Most books have gone onto my Forma via Calibre. I've made no purchases from the Kobo Store.

I have made highlights and notes on one such sideloaded book. I logged into my Kobo account on kobo.com, but don't see my annotations or highlights. Can I see them online somewhere?
droopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 09:28 PM   #2
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Short version is NO. Kobo doesn't sync anything related to sideloaded books.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-10-2019, 09:32 PM   #3
droopy
Guru
droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robko View Post
Short version is NO. Kobo doesn't sync anything related to sideloaded books.
Would the "long version" provide a way?
Old 09-11-2019, 02:24 AM   #4
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Only if you are willing to write the system that would do it

Getting annotations off the Kobo devices in one way or another is a frequently discussed topic. If you search the forum you will find the discussions.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 02:48 PM   #5
droopy
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Only if you are willing to write the system that would do it

Getting annotations off the Kobo devices in one way or another is a frequently discussed topic. If you search the forum you will find the discussions.
I don't have the skills for that.
Based on you second paragraph, there currently isn't any way to view/export annotations. ;(
Advert
Old 09-11-2019, 08:07 PM   #6
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by droopy View Post
Based on you second paragraph, there currently isn't any way to view/export annotations. ;(
I have no idea why you think that. There is no way to see them on-line anywhere, but there are at least four ways to extract them. And they have been discussed in enough depth before that repeating it would be a waste of time. Do a search and you should find them and decide if you like any of them.
Old 09-12-2019, 05:16 PM   #7
droopy
Guru

Hi David, Okay, I understand there isn't an online option. I'm okay with an offline option (an option to get them onto my USB-connected computer).

You mentioned four ways. I understand that "repeating would be a waste of time". Linking to them, however, wouldn't be. In fact, linking to them would be a timesaver.
Now, I have to search through multiple threads/posts, and some could be outdated. Anyway, if there's anyone who know what these four programs are, I'd appreciate it.

So far I came across https://www.matteopezzi.com/how-to-e...-on-kobo-aura/
Quote:
Add the following to to “Kobo eReader.config” file:

[FeatureSettings]
ExportHighlights=true

With this, the long press menu of a book will have an extra option, “Export highlights."
I wonder if geek1011 has included this in his patching.

davidfor, last week i installed your KoboUtilities plugin, to force sync metadata. I have just seen from the the plugin's dropdown menu that there are 3 entries that mention annotations:
1. Copy annotations for selected books
2. Backup annotation file
3. Remove annotation file

I gather that this method #2. I'd like to know
A) Is there a way, in Calibre (or inside your Calibre plugin) to see/sort through all books which have annotations? I can't seem to find/show a column for "Contains Annotations"
B) If a user chooses "Backup annotation file", where is it backed up to?
C) If a user chooses "Copy annotations for selected books", where are the annotations copied to?

I think I found method 3: "GUI Plugins" by DavidFor (https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=241206)

I wonder what the difference between DavidFor's two Calibre plugins are, when it comes to annotations.

Last edited by droopy; 09-12-2019 at 05:51 PM.
Old 09-12-2019, 07:20 PM   #8
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
it would save -you- time, it would not save David or anyone else who went through and linked them to you because 9/10 they'd have to do the same searches and reading through of the threads.

That time of theirs could be spent doing things they enjoy, or answering questions on things that are not easily searchable. Especially when compared to hunting down links for someone who has demonstrated they don't want to be bothered searching, and who has asked similar questions in multiple areas several times.

People here like helping, but you also have to be willing to help yourself. There's a search feature, and the threads tend to be fairly informative. Repeating the information every time a new user comes along just adds to the number of threads about it which later new users then need to wade through. So you can see why it's actually in the communities best interest in time saving to have people use the search feature first, get as far as they can, and then ask their question preferably in the existing relevant thread.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 09:57 PM   #9
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by droopy View Post
You mentioned four ways. I understand that "repeating would be a waste of time". Linking to them, however, wouldn't be. In fact, linking to them would be a timesaver.
Now, I have to search through multiple threads/posts, and some could be outdated. Anyway, if there's anyone who know what these four programs are, I'd appreciate it.
Sorry, but it wasn't exactly hard to find Highlights/Annotations trasnfer to PC in which the second post had links to several things including this post plus plenty of other discussion.

As to to old and outdated, do you really think that I would tell you to search the forum if the only thing you were going to find were useless? Without telling you so? If that was the case, I might suggest that you do the search, but would add an appropriate caveat.
Old 09-13-2019, 04:52 PM   #10
droopy
Guru

Hi David. Thanks for your reply.

I'm looking at the links you shared. Appreciate it.
Old 09-23-2019, 12:40 AM   #11
RobertJSawyer
Guru
RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Clara 2E, and Clara HD; Kindle PaperWhite
I don't know if this works with sideloaded epubs or not; it works fine with books bought from Kobo:

https://thekobonotes.com
RobertJSawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 06:26 AM   #12
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertJSawyer View Post
I don't know if this works with sideloaded epubs or not; it works fine with books bought from Kobo:

https://thekobonotes.com
Seriously bad idea. Best avoided.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 10:23 AM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrustratedReader View Post
Seriously bad idea. Best avoided.
Why is it a bad idea?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 10:33 AM   #14
Fozkas
Connoisseur
Fozkas began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O
I've found an easy option the other day. It consisted in adding 2 lines in the kobo config file.

It adds an option of exporting notes when longpressing in a book.

I found it not that helpfull as it exported a notepad with "highlighted text" and my note below so i could not import back on another device
Fozkas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 12:54 PM   #15
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Why is it a bad idea?
Privacy & security
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote