Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-11-2019, 06:23 PM   #1
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Safe way to update older Kobos?

I'm not sure of the status on some of my older Kobos for upgrading. Ones I bought for my brother were returned to me (he's decided to go "all in" with his Nooks and Kindles (mostly Nooks) — he doesn't want to use Calibre and the Kobo was just an "extra" option he didn't "need"). So, at this point, I own two of the old Kobo WiFi devices (which can't be upgraded and aren't a problem), two Kobo Minis (both currently at 3.19.5761 (which was the newest available firmware at the time, I think), two Kobo Touches (N905 and N905B) and a Kobo Touch 2.0 — which isn't a problem, it just upgraded itself to a newer (not newest) version, so I don't think it will be an issue upgrading to the newest firmware (might have to change the affiliate).

My main worries are the two Minis and the N905 Touch (which I had purposely kept at an older release because I liked it looking the same as my Mini (so I think it's at 3.19.xxxx, can't check right now, battery needs charging). I think the N905B was at a high enough release that it won't be a problem, but not absolutely sure. At this point I want to get everything completely updated (if I can do so without bricking them). What's the best way to do this? If I remember right, the Minis can no longer update online (or something like that). I think if the Touch was not updated, it would brick after a certain date. It seems like I remember the work-around involved using Kobo software on the computer.

It's been a while since I've done anything with the Kobos. Sorry for my ignorance. Any pointers or guidelines would be helpful. Thanks.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 08:59 PM   #2
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Turn on Wifi... then Sync
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 12:00 AM   #3
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
The N905 and N905B will update over WiFi as they are. But, if you need to do a factory reset , you would need to manually install firmware 3.19.x or later. Or do the setup using the desktop application. After that, they will update over WiFi.

The Mini is the same, except that it won't update past 3.19.x, though lots of people have manually installed later firmware.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 12:42 AM   #4
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara1955 View Post
Turn on Wifi... then Sync
I honestly didn't know it was that simple.

Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
The N905 and N905B will update over WiFi as they are. But, if you need to do a factory reset , you would need to manually install firmware 3.19.x or later. Or do the setup using the desktop application. After that, they will update over WiFi.

The Mini is the same, except that it won't update past 3.19.x, though lots of people have manually installed later firmware.
So the 3.19.xxxx I've already got on the N905 (and Minis) is new enough? That sounds good. So I'm done unless I decide to give away or sell the N905, if that happens I'll probably update it first. I'll upgrade the N905B and Touch 2.0 to the newest firmware so I can see what I'm "missing." Thanks. I'm happy to keep the Minis where they are. I thought I was in trouble. Turns out I'm not.

Again, thank you.
Old 09-12-2019, 01:52 AM   #5
teija
Gadget fiend
teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite 2021, Sony PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
I honestly didn't know it was that simple.
It may not be quite as simple as switching on the Wifi on the Mini. Mine wouldn't finish unless I had it connected to my PC with the Kobo software running. But aside from that, it was simple and painless.
teija is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 02:46 AM   #6
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by teija View Post
It may not be quite as simple as switching on the Wifi on the Mini. Mine wouldn't finish unless I had it connected to my PC with the Kobo software running. But aside from that, it was simple and painless.
Earlier in the year, Kobo had to drop support for older security protocols that are now considered insecure. This is why they released an update for the Mini to 3.19.x. That update will allow the Mini to connect to the Kobo store and hence WiFi to work. But, a factory reset will take it back to a firmware version that cannot connect. The Kobo desktop application still supports the Mini, so you can use that to do the setup and it will install the latest available firmware. Or you can manually install the firmware update. After that you should be able to do the setup.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 03:29 AM   #7
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by teija View Post
Mine is already updated to 3.19.xxxx, so I won't have to worry about that. I didn't realize that was the newest officially supported version.
Old 09-12-2019, 03:32 AM   #8
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Earlier in the year, Kobo had to drop support for older security protocols that are now considered insecure. This is why they released an update for the Mini to 3.19.x. That update will allow the Mini to connect to the Kobo store and hence WiFi to work. But, a factory reset will take it back to a firmware version that cannot connect. The Kobo desktop application still supports the Mini, so you can use that to do the setup and it will install the latest available firmware. Or you can manually install the firmware update. After that you should be able to do the setup.
I misunderstood this. I thought the Minis would no longer work with the bookstore. I just downloaded a preview to try it out. Works like it always did. Happy to see that. So it's only if I reset the Mini that I'll have to upgrade via a PC using the Kobo desktop. I'm glad I asked this question.