Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 09-03-2019, 10:38 AM   #16
haertig
Wizard
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Fire HD8 Gen7, Moto G7, Sansa Clip v2, Ruizu X26
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
If populating parallel Earths were the theme of a book I started, I would only be surprised if there weren't many such discrepancies mentioned.
There are.

However, in the specific Guppy/Minnow case I mentioned, it is the folks from original Earth who are referencing this old Earth TV show that the other person - native to an alternate Earth - does not know about.

Disclaimer: This book is the second book of a serial that I recently claimed I would never read. Because the first book just stopped mid-sentence. I hate these serial books (a normal series is OK, it's just the drop-it-in-the-middle serials that I hate). But here I am, against my statements, reading the dang book. I can offer no defense for my actions!
haertig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 11:11 AM   #17
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by haertig View Post
However, in the specific Guppy/Minnow case I mentioned, it is the folks from original Earth who are referencing this old Earth TV show that the other person - native to an alternate Earth - does not know about.
Then I would assume that it was a clue that the "original Earth" being used for the point of reference in the book is not actually, in fact, our own. Possibly something that was explained in the first book, or something to be revealed at a later time. Or possibly it was just a bad joke. But that's just simply not a mistake that someone makes "accidentally." Even if someone's not familiar with the show themselves, they know that millions of people are.

It could be a mistake, I suppose, but I'm just not buying it. Not when knowing the premise of the books, anyway.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 01:36 PM   #18
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Maybe the castaways stole Cap'n Crunch's boat, the S.S. Guppy?
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 05:37 PM   #19
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Then I would assume that it was a clue that the "original Earth" being used for the point of reference in the book is not actually, in fact, our own.

By itself, fairly common.

I've come to assume all SF stories are alternate histories, especially the ones aspiring to be "hard" SF.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 09:24 PM   #20
haertig
Wizard
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Then I would assume that it was a clue that the "original Earth" being used for the point of reference in the book is not actually, in fact, our own.
Now that would be a cool twist in the storyline. But IMHO, this series does not seem to have the sophistication for something like that. I believe these are the authors first published books (there are two of them). They read like YoungAdult+

I do like the alternate Earth/parallel Earth genre. I have't read much of it (yet), but I'm searching for new books in this genre. So if anyone has any suggestions, I'd appreciate hearing them.
Old 09-03-2019, 10:59 PM   #21
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Now that would be a cool twist in the storyline. But IMHO, this series does not seem to have the sophistication for something like that. I believe these are the authors first published books (there are two of them). They read like YoungAdult+

I do like the alternate Earth/parallel Earth genre. I have't read much of it (yet), but I'm searching for new books in this genre. So if anyone has any suggestions, I'd appreciate hearing them.
Hmm... the first ones I remember reading were Edwin Abbott Abbott's Flatland and H. Beam Piper's Paratime series and Lord Kalvan of Otherwhen. Then there were Keith Laumer's Imperium stories. Hmmm... more outright fantasy were Andre Norton's Witch World books. Clifford D. Simak's Ring Around the Sun. Fletcher Pratt and L. Sprague de Camp's Harold Shea stories.

I'll leave it to someone else to drag this list into the 1970's and later.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 07:05 AM   #22
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Hmm... the first ones I remember reading were Edwin Abbott Abbott's Flatland and H. Beam Piper's Paratime series and Lord Kalvan of Otherwhen. Then there were Keith Laumer's Imperium stories. Hmmm... more outright fantasy were Andre Norton's Witch World books. Clifford D. Simak's Ring Around the Sun. Fletcher Pratt and L. Sprague de Camp's Harold Shea stories.

I'll leave it to someone else to drag this list into the 1970's and later.
James p. Hogan - The Proteus Operation
Philip Jose Farmer - Two Hawks from Terra, World of Tiers series
David Weber - The Gordian Protocol (time travel war over two entangled timelines)
F.M. Busby - All these Earths (almost forgot it. Duh.)

The entire sub-genre of Alternate history. Harry Turtledove has several long series. Eric Flint's 163x series.

Last edited by fjtorres; 09-04-2019 at 10:22 AM.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 11:09 AM   #23
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Would (Our) Robert J. Sawyer's Neanderthal Parallax fit?
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 01:33 PM   #24
haertig
Wizard

Wow! Thanks for the suggestions!!!
Old 09-05-2019, 12:40 PM   #25
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
I just think it's funny that IF it bothered you, you would just edit the file and change it to what you want. I'd never think to do that. Too bad you can't change a pronunciation in an audio book
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 01:50 PM   #26
haertig
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebase View Post
Too bad you can't change a pronunciation in an audio book
With enough determination, one could!
Old 09-06-2019, 12:34 PM   #27
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Am I the only one who's had the Gilligan's Island theme song running in their head ever since this thread was posted?
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 12:51 PM   #28
arjaybe
Wizard
arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Maybe the castaways stole Cap'n Crunch's boat, the S.S. Guppy?
Or a character is confusing two banalities.
arjaybe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 01:33 PM   #29
Fiat_Lux
Addict
Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fiat_Lux ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: tablets
Quote:
I did not know that. I think of it in terms of the Star Trek: The Next Generation TV show. But now that you mention it, I'll bet they stole the line from older times in the British Navy. That makes sense. Thanks - I learn something new every day!
The oldest known usage of the phrase "Make it so", is found in the only known example of the handwriting of Cleopatra VII Philopator.
Fiat_Lux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 05:30 PM   #30
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiat_Lux View Post
The oldest known usage of the phrase "Make it so", is found in the only known example of the handwriting of Cleopatra VII Philopator.
Translating "γινεσθοι" (ginesthoi) as "make it so" is a bit of a stretch, translating it as 'let be done" or "make it happen" is more likely going by my memories of such items as 1 Corinthians 16:14
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote