Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 04-07-2019, 03:51 AM   #226
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
That's very good news - Dick Francis is one of my favourite authors. Fortunately all his books are available as ebooks in the UK.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 11:40 PM   #227
kyrilson
Fanatic
kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage, Oasis, Kobo Glo HD,iPad Pro, Sony 350 and T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strether View Post
The mystery writer Dick Francis switched US publishers mid-career. Those e-books published by Penguin have been available in the US for years, but not those published by Harper and Row, his first publishers. I note that six of the first publisher's books are now available in the US for pre-order as e-books, being released on May 2nd:

High Stakes

Knockdown

Smokescreen

Rat Race

Dead Cert

Enquiry

All of these are offered at the price of $2.99 each, a bargain.

Hopefully the remaining books will be made available as e-books soon.

Jim
Thanks!! I pre-ordered all of them. I love these books.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk
kyrilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 08:56 AM   #228
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Simon Hawke -

Simon Hawke is an author who was active back in the 80's and 90's, best known for his Timewars series and Wizard of 4th Street series. I would describe him as a standard mid tier writer who is interesting enough, but never really broke through. Most of his books are fairly short compared to what we are use to these days. I think most of them are in the 200 page range. IMPO, like a lot of mid tier sf writers, he tended to ride a series until it stopped selling. I don't think he's written anything since the late 90's. His name came up in a discussion in the Butcher thread. Looking in the Kindle store, I see that all his Wizard of 4th Street books seem to be there, and I see the Timewar books as well. I found that the early books in both series were worth reading. He's the sort of author that I thought might find a new audience via the Kindle store. I wonder how many books he's sold since he put them out there. As I mentioned in the Butcher thread, his Wizard of 4th Street series has similarities to the Dresden series and Rivers of London series.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 09:40 AM   #229
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
I still have the Timewar Series in paper. Now I have to decide if I am interested in rereading them electronically.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 10:28 AM   #230
Strether
Guru
Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1; iPad Air; iPhone 7; Kobo Libra; Kindle Oasis 3
I sent a note to the UK publishers who'd recently made some of the early Dick Francis books available to us as ebooks encouraging them to fill in all the blanks we have here in the US. Got this very cordial reply:

"Thank you for your most kind email, which for a small independent publisher like us is a tonic for the soul. As you may have guessed we too are Dick Francis fans and readers, and I'm pleased to say that we will be reissuing more of his novels in the US as ebooks in the not-too-distant future. In short we will publish as many as his Estate and contractual circumstance allows, and I do hope your enthusiasm will be shared by a wider American reading public.

"I wish you much enjoyment in reading them - I believe the next titles are For Kicks, Nerve, Risk, Trial Run and Whip Hand, all to be reissued in July 2019. Do let me know if you'd like any further detail."

Jim
Strether is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 05:09 PM   #231
Strether
Guru
Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The following Dick Francis novels are available for pre-ordering from Amazon.com, being released July 1:

Risk
Bonecrack
Whip Hand
For Kicks
Trial Run
Nerve

Jim
Old 07-11-2019, 06:44 PM   #232
Strether
Guru

The following Dick Francis novels are available for pre-ordering, being released on September 2:

Blood Sport
Forfeit
In the Frame
Slay Ride
Flying Finish
Odds Against

By my reckoning, with this release, all of Francis's books will be available as ebooks in the US.

Jim
Old 10-27-2019, 02:51 PM   #233
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Looks like two new Rodger Zelazny ebooks were released on Monday, October 21st, Roadmarks and Trumps of Doom (Amber book 6). The last new Zelazny eBook was Lord of Light back in January.

I've pretty much given up on trying to figure out the rhyme and reason for new eBook releases for Zelazny. The ebooks that haven't come out yet are the
last 4 Amber books
Creatures of Light and Darkness (a personal favorite)
Today We Choose Faces
Doorways in the Sand
Bridges of Ashes
My Name is Legion
Changeling (this is an odd one since Madwand, the sequel was released)
The Changing Land (Dilvish the Damed novel)
Dilvish the Damned
A Night in the Lonesome October
Here by Dragons
and various short stories.
Old 12-26-2019, 04:33 PM   #234
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer

And Book 7 of the Amber series, Blood of Amber, was released in eboook on December 13th. That's roughly two months.
Old 04-09-2020, 06:23 AM   #235
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer

Book 8 and Book 9 of Zelazny's Amber series are out in eBook. 8 came out back at the end of Feb, while I picked up 9 this week. I suspect that some time after book 10 is release, they will do an omnibus Amber eBook.
Old 05-02-2020, 07:16 PM   #236
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer

Just bought book 10 of the Amber series, so all of them are out. It will be interesting to see if the Zelazny estate moves on to the other Zelazny books not out in ebooks or waits a while like they have done at other times. Really not that many that aren't available yet, but several that I really want.
Old 05-21-2020, 03:29 PM   #237
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer

Looks like they are getting some more of Zelazny's books out. Doorways in the Sand came out on May 13th.

Looking at my library and the Zelazny Bibliography the ones I'm missing are -

Creatures of Light and Darkness (a personal favorite)
Today We Choose Faces
Bridge of Ashes
My Name is Legion (collection of 3 short stories)
Changeling (the sequel, Madwand is out)
The Changing Land (a Dilvish the Damned novel)
Dilvish, the Damned (collection of Dilvish the Damned short stories)
A Night in the Lonesome October

Also there are various short story collections.

With a bit of luck, maybe the last handful of Zelazny books will come out soon.
Old 07-12-2020, 09:31 AM   #238
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer

Oh yea, just checked and the new Zelazny books are

Creatures of Light and Darkness
My Name is Legion
and
The Nine Princes of Amber: the Complete Amber Chronicles.

Creates of Light and Darkness is one of my favorites and I really liked My Name is Legion. I went ahead and bought the Nine Princes of Amber, simply because having all the Amber books in one ebook is nice and it only cost $8. Worth it for me.

Alas, while the product details says file size 767 KB and 1264 pages, when I actually downloaded it, it was simply the first book and some 333 KB. I'll follow up and see what's going on with this one. Still glad to get the other two.

The Changling or the Dilvish the Damned books is what I'm hoping will be released next.

(as a follow up, the customer service support person is going to report the issue to the powers that be. Hopefully this will get cleared up. I checked on the Apple book store and the same issue. The description gives the information one would expect for the omnibus book, but when I download it, it's just the first book)
(The Amazon customer service rep said that she would email me with the results of the report. If it's suppose to be the omnibus book, then she will let me know and I'll post when it gets updated, otherwise, they will give me a refund.)

Last edited by pwalker8; 07-12-2020 at 10:52 AM.
Old 07-12-2020, 10:27 AM   #239
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The Amber eBooks are not professionally done. I checked the preview for Nine Princes in Amber and it has straight quotes.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 10:50 AM   #240
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The Amber eBooks are not professionally done. I checked the preview for Nine Princes in Amber and it has straight quotes.
I think the phrase you were going for is that the Amber eBooks are not done the way JSWolf personally prefers his books to be formatted.

Tags
backlist, backlisted books