Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 12-02-2023, 08:19 PM   #1
jindraaa
jindraaa began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS T1&T2
How to boot PRS-T2 from SD card?

Hi I"m having some problems trying to get my PRS-T2 to boot from SD.

I tried the tutorials and some workarounds but I don't know what to do maybe someone can help?

Should I be doing this from a terminal on Linux? But then what directory should I be in on the imaged SD card or the internal memory of the PRS? I mainly tried from serial connection to recovery.

Quote:
This is how to rebuild the initrd (on PC Linux):
I tried
Code:
[root (ttyGS0)]# find | cpio -H newc -R 0:0 -o > ../initrd_new.cpio
but get
Quote:
-sh: ../initrd_new.cpio: Read-only file system
So I remounted sd and tried to use that directory but still get this:

Quote:
find | cpio -H newc -R 0:0 -o > /initrd/mnt/sd/initrd_new.cpio
-sh: cpio: command not found
I also tried using the modified uboot_new but its for the PRS-T1 so it may not work? So then I tried using a hexedit to change what looked different from my uboot backup but still nothing. I used a DD imaged SD card from the internal eMMC. Are there changes that need to be made on the SD card for it to work? Sorry a bit all over the place but I'm pretty confused now.

I was hoping to use my own memory backup for an earlier FW since the newer ones seem to work badly.

I realize these are old and just buy a new one but I'd rather prevent these from the garbage since they work great for me?
jindraaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2023, 10:10 AM   #2
jindraaa
jindraaa began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS T1&T2
Update:

I switched to getting the PRS-T1 booting from SD. That worked totally fine with the extracted new_boot.bin flashed to the internal memory and I used the DD image 1.07 of the SD card and created. So that works fine for the PRS-T1.

I checked with hexedit and it seems the extracted boot.bin are the same for the T1 and T2 so it must be the SD card setup causing not boot? Is there some difference in referencing the SD slot since the T2 doesn't have a headphone jack?

I tried reimaging the individual partitions of the SD with extracted ones from the T2 but also didn't work.

The T2 doesn't seem to have nearly the same problems with the eMMC as the T1 so I guess it's fine to leave it.
jindraaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2023, 04:57 PM   #3
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
I took back a T1. The "Freeze Up" if you selected a word. Can select by accident. The T2 is fine and a grandchild has it with a 32 G μSD for the ebooks. Nice the way it's behind a door at the back.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2023, 06:37 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
I took back a T1. The "Freeze Up" if you selected a word. Can select by accident. The T2 is fine and a grandchild has it with a 32 G μSD for the ebooks. Nice the way it's behind a door at the back.
I've never once had a "freeze up" on a T1 selecting a word.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2023, 05:00 AM   #5
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I've never once had a "freeze up" on a T1 selecting a word.
It's not all examples of the model, but a very well known bug of the T1, the first Android PRS. That's mainly why there was a T2. Strangely changing partition boundaries can make the bug "vanish". The T2 is IMO, much nicer though basically similar screen and features.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote