Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 11-27-2018, 08:04 AM   #1
Readirect
Zealot
Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Readirect can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: KPW1
Help With Calibre To Alter Displayed Kindle Name

I have a large sideloaded library stored on my Kindles that I want to organize by the (genre) tag stored in Calibre. Since Amazon forces collections to be manually organized for sideloaded books, it's not feasible to do in my use case.

I have been using Calibre's catalog feature for my organization on the devices but it is cumbersome to maintain and use. What I would like to do instead is to use Calibre to add the genre tag to the name which Kindle displays on the device. Then I could use Kindle's search function to display books by genre.

How can I do this? Thanks for you help
Readirect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 08:15 AM   #2
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Calibre can create collections on some versions of Kindle. The ONLY way on a deregistered/unregistered Kindle.
I find the Kindle built in GUI on both DGX and PW3 to be painful to set up collections.
It's also trivial for Calibre add contents of one column to another.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-28-2018, 04:44 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Moved to the Calibre forum, where you're more likely to get an answer.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 07:33 AM   #4
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Readirect View Post
I have a large sideloaded library stored on my Kindles that I want to organize by the (genre) tag stored in Calibre. Since Amazon forces collections to be manually organized for sideloaded books, it's not feasible to do in my use case.

I have been using Calibre's catalog feature for my organization on the devices but it is cumbersome to maintain and use. What I would like to do instead is to use Calibre to add the genre tag to the name which Kindle displays on the device. Then I could use Kindle's search function to display books by genre.
You can use a metadata plugboard to fiddle with the title when it is sent to the book. See https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=100949 for some examples.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 09:48 AM   #5
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Yup, the metadata plugboard would do it.

For example, this changes the title to the following (assumes a tag-like custom column #genre for genre):

Prelude to Foundation [Sci-Fi]
Artemis Fowl [Fantasy, Children]

Code:
format: any format
device: KINDLE2
template: {title}{#genre:| [|]}
destination: title
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert

Tags
calibre, kindle organization