Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-03-2018, 02:55 AM   #1846
Doc_Cristian
Doc_Cristian began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle basic 8th gen (white)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antinoos View Post
Did "reinstalling KUAL" mean that you've used the kindlet version, i.e. the azw2 file? That won't work with fw 5.9.2.* (your "8" is a typo, I suppose...) any longer.

Install the booklet version of KUAL (update*.bin file) via ;log mrpi search bar command instead.
yes it was a typo, and i have done what you said before posting and it still wont work
Doc_Cristian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 04:58 PM   #1847
poczynek
Zealot
poczynek is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.poczynek is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.poczynek is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.poczynek is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.poczynek is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.poczynek is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.poczynek is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.poczynek is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.poczynek is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.poczynek is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.poczynek is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: Kobo Forma
Am running the latest firmware version for an original Oasis - 5.9.2.0.1 - and when i install Kual via mrpackages and ;log mrpi the update booklet, i get the kual.doc but when i open it i get a completely blank page with status bar up the top and that is it - see attached. I cannot access anything at all and all i can do to get out of is a forced restart. What am i doing wrong?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	kindy.jpg
Views:	451
Size:	151.1 KB
ID:	161356  

Last edited by poczynek; 01-07-2018 at 05:04 PM.
poczynek is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-07-2018, 06:10 PM   #1848
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
The only thing you are doing wrong is trying to run KUAL on firmware 5.9.<anything>
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 06:22 PM   #1849
poczynek
Zealot
poczynek is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.poczynek is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.poczynek is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.poczynek is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.poczynek is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.poczynek is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.poczynek is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.poczynek is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.poczynek is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.poczynek is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.poczynek is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
The only thing you are doing wrong is trying to run KUAL on firmware 5.9.<anything>
Thanks - yeah just reading up about it now! Annoying!

Downgrade possible?
poczynek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 07:27 PM   #1850
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by poczynek View Post
Thanks - yeah just reading up about it now! Annoying!

Downgrade possible?
Very unlikely, but harmless to try.
Download an earlier image from Amazon by just changing the version number field in the URL.
The URL that is in the link at the device's support page (I.E: where you can download the current firmware - that url, just change the version info).

Oh, and if you succeed, let us know.
Advert
Old 01-12-2018, 06:23 PM   #1851
Gary23
Gary23 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch 3
Installed Kual as described, first time thought messed it up because there was nothing when launched it, just a white screen only. After which can't do anything, no toolbar too in the top. Just can see the status bar, my kindle's name, the wifi and battery and time only and nothing else. The only thing I can do is just to restart it. Installed the JB perfectly, i'll just do a JB dummy test to see if it is not the one messed up, but the process went perfectly well as described. Installed and even uninstalled Kual again and installed again but doesn't work. The firmware right now is 5.9.2 the latest one and even tried Nomax's fix too from here https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...68#post3562968

Already installed the JB hotfix too. But Kual not working at all. I'll edit if anything occurs.

Edit: Okay never mind, just saw above posts, well. My bad. Should have been warned about in the OP to install Kual first before upgrading or something about it not working in 5.9.2
Gary23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 06:39 PM   #1852
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary23 View Post
- - - - -
Should have been warned about in the OP to install Kual first before upgrading or something about it not working in 5.9.2
Which you probably would not have bothered to read until you got into trouble.
Well, consider it our evil way to get you to join as a member rather than as a lurker.
If even only to complain about our not having something which you wouldn't have read even if we had it.

We do not have anything here ready for 5.9.x firmware series, nothing, nada.

The only people who can edit an existing post are the author and the moderators.
Both the authors and the forum moderators here are among the group composed of the dead, dying or just gone members.

Last edited by knc1; 01-12-2018 at 06:44 PM.
Old 01-16-2018, 03:47 PM   #1853
DaRk_ViVi
Zombified italian nerd
DaRk_ViVi can extract oil from cheeseDaRk_ViVi can extract oil from cheeseDaRk_ViVi can extract oil from cheeseDaRk_ViVi can extract oil from cheeseDaRk_ViVi can extract oil from cheeseDaRk_ViVi can extract oil from cheeseDaRk_ViVi can extract oil from cheeseDaRk_ViVi can extract oil from cheeseDaRk_ViVi can extract oil from cheese

Device: KT, KV
Yesterday I updated my Kindle Voyage to the latest version just to find out that KUAL is not working anymore.
No problem, I used the ;log mrpi to install the booklet version and is up and running again (with my beloved screensaver hack).

Now I would like to remove the old KUAL icon from my Kindle as it's not working anymore, but deleting the KUAL-KDK-2.0.azw2 file from the /documents directory of the Kindle did nothing. Is there anything I am missing?
DaRk_ViVi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 04:52 PM   #1854
knc1
Going Viral

"updated my Kindle Voyage to the latest version" which would be what number?

Your not missing anything.
Somebody needs to make a RUNME.sh script that gets rid of the document thumbnail.
It is posted here, somewhere, how to do it.
search the posts of Antinoos I think that is who discovered what needs to be deleted.
Old 01-16-2018, 05:33 PM   #1855
DaRk_ViVi
Zombified italian nerd
DaRk_ViVi can extract oil from cheeseDaRk_ViVi can extract oil from cheeseDaRk_ViVi can extract oil from cheeseDaRk_ViVi can extract oil from cheeseDaRk_ViVi can extract oil from cheeseDaRk_ViVi can extract oil from cheeseDaRk_ViVi can extract oil from cheeseDaRk_ViVi can extract oil from cheeseDaRk_ViVi can extract oil from cheese

Device: KT, KV
Quote:
"updated my Kindle Voyage to the latest version" which would be what number?

Your not missing anything.
Somebody needs to make a RUNME.sh script that gets rid of the document thumbnail.
It is posted here, somewhere, how to do it.
search the posts of Antinoos I think that is who discovered what needs to be deleted.
It's version 5.9.2.0.1 (3262860017).
Yeah I know it's not missing anything, but I would like to remove this useless thunbnail that gives an error if I try to open it.
I'll search for the post you pointed out, thanks!
DaRk_ViVi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 02:09 AM   #1856
Antinoos
Groupie
Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!Antinoos rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: PW3, KT3 (fw 5.8.11 with jb)
As I'm asked directly here:

You've run in one of the bugs out of the bucket full of them in fw 5.9.<anything>. But really in one of the less nasty ones...

There's a little chance to get rid of the unneeded icon for the KUAL kindlet. It's stored in: /developer/KUAL/metadata/thumbnail.jpg in the user visible storage - just delete it there and do a reboot.

As I've strictly avoided to update to 5.9.x, I only can guess that this could help, but I wasn't able to test it. Please report back what happened. Unfortunately, it's possible that the new 5.9.x internal database structure keeps a copy of the icon inside the system area. Then you're out of look. But the useless icon in your library doesn't do any harm at all...
Antinoos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 05:33 PM   #1857
knc1
Going Viral

Removing document KUAL from 5.9.x

The good news:
I finished a script that can be used as a RUNME.sh type of script to clean-up the delete of the KUAL document.

The bad news:
It leaves the entries in /var/local/cc.db due to a screw-up on Amazon/Lab126's part:
Spoiler:

Code:
[root@kindle local]# sqlite3  ${cc_at}cc.db "DELETE FROM Entries WHERE p_location LIKE '%KUAL-KDK-2.0.azw2';"
Error: no such collation sequence: icu

[root@kindle local]# sqlite3  ${cc_at}cc.db "SELECT p_location FROM Entries WHERE p_location LIKE '%KUAL-KDK-2.0.azw2';"
/mnt/us/documents/KUAL-KDK-2.0.azw2
As the author of the database table at Lab126 said (in the schema comments):
Code:
CREATE TABLE Entries
(
    p_uuid PRIMARY KEY NOT NULL,       -- ID of entry (UUID)
- - - - -
    p_titles_0_collation COLLATE icu,  -- Used only for filtering and sorting
- - - - -
    p_credits_0_name_collation COLLATE icu,
                                       -- Collation string for first credit (string)
- - - - -
The "Used only for filtering and sorting" comment is wrong, and the author would realize it if s/he took a few minutes to think about it - - -
You can't insert or remove a record without ensuring that the collation order is also updated.
Duh...

It will be one more day while I work out a work-around for this brain fart in 5.9.2 firmware.
(Someone already suggested to just mark it as "not visible" - that or something like it might be the answer.)

This is most likely also the cause of why the 'delete document' action does not work on the KUAL document, but I am not about to waste my time troubleshooting custom call-backs in their Java code.
(that collate: icu is an Android "feature")

And then again...
Maybe it is user error:
http://www.sqlite.org/src/doc/trunk/ext/icu/README.txt

And then again...
So try following the sqlite.org directions, and:
Code:
[root@kindle local]# sqlite3 cc.db
SQLite version 3.7.14.1 2012-10-04 19:37:12
Enter ".help" for instructions
Enter SQL statements terminated with a ";"

sqlite> .dump Locale
PRAGMA foreign_keys=OFF;
BEGIN TRANSACTION;
CREATE TABLE Locale ( locale );
INSERT INTO "Locale" VALUES('en_US.utf8');
COMMIT;

sqlite> SELECT * FROM Locale;
en_US.utf8

sqlite> SELECT icu_load_collation('en_US.utf8', 'icu');
Error: no such function: icu_load_collation
sqlite>
????
Well, the answer to that one happens to be on the first line shown above.
SQLite version 3.7.14.1 2012-10-04 19:37:12
The ability to load a custom collation was first added to sqlite3, version 3.7.16

The current version is 3.21
My Ubuntu LTS has 3.20 installed.
So the most likely situation is the (?contractor?) person at Lab126 is doing all of s/he's work on a PC (with a current or nearly current version) and never checking their work on the Kindle.

Update:
The above was from 5.9.2 -
A similar problem exists on 5.3.7.3 (the oldest ts firmware version we support here).
I.E: The interactive sqlite3 can not delete records from cc.db for the same reason (the extension library might be able to but not the interactive).

Last edited by knc1; 01-18-2018 at 02:38 PM.
Old 01-19-2018, 11:32 AM   #1858
Irenicus
Irenicus began at the beginning.

Device: PW2
Hello everyone!

The kindlet(azw2) version of KUAL works great on my PW2, 5.9.2.0.1

Yesterday i did a jailbreak for first time, used a serial method since i was on 5.9.2.0.1. After jailbreak, my next step has been to install the KUAL, and i have been confused, since have seen to many posts that saying that it no longer works on 5.9 and above.
Irenicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 11:58 AM   #1859
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irenicus View Post
Hello everyone!

The kindlet(azw2) version of KUAL works great on my PW2, 5.9.2.0.1

Yesterday i did a jailbreak for first time, used a serial method since i was on 5.9.2.0.1. After jailbreak, my next step has been to install the KUAL, and i have been confused, since have seen to many posts that saying that it no longer works on 5.9 and above.
It may be specific to the country.
Tell us more.
What country are you in?
What Amazon site did you download the update package from? (link please)
Old 01-19-2018, 01:16 PM   #1860
Irenicus
Irenicus began at the beginning.

Device: PW2
Quote:
It may be specific to the country.
Tell us more.
What country are you in?
What Amazon site did you download the update package from? (link please)
The device has been bought back in 10/2013 from U.S. from Amazon, it was the version with special offers/ads (i have removed them today, by contacting the Amazon support).

I dont remeber what firmware version it has from the box. All that time it has updated by itself over wifi, except the last time, when i updated it by myself, from 5.8(dont remember all the numbers) to 5.9.2.0.1

Unfortunately i no more have the exact link, since i have cleared the history of browser. That was 22/12/2017 when i decided to jailbreak it, and the first what i discovered is that a new version is available(5.9.2.0.1), on the kindle the update button was grayed out, so i downloaed it manually, I think from >HERE<

Here is more details about the device

Name:	IMG_4721.JPG
Views:	513
Size:	440.8 KB
ID:	161682

From inside I have only this photo left(with number of PCB)

Name:	IMG_4717.JPG
Views:	388
Size:	525.7 KB
ID:	161684

Last edited by Irenicus; 01-19-2018 at 02:41 PM.
Irenicus is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kindle touch, kindle touch hacks, kindlet, kual, launcher, launcher add-ons, paperwhite, sqlite, unified