Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 11-17-2011, 09:02 AM   #46
hieronymos
Groupie
hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.

Device: Kobo Vox
Maybe I have a very special device then. *shrugs*.

The log for the reset however contains the explanations for your image; the mount table. I'll just dump the whole log here if I may.
Somehow it explains the unallocated space. /tmp could probably be on the SD instead of the RAM without any problem - maybe they're still working on that.

Spoiler:
Build: freescale/imx51_bbg/imx51_bbg:2.3.3/GRI40/eng.CAN.20111027.172304.39765:eng/test-keys
Hardware: BBG
Bootloader: unknown
Radio: unknown
Kernel: Linux version 2.6.35.3 (victor@vgonzalez-ubuntu) (gcc version 4.4.3 (GCC) ) K01.01.20110801

Factory data reset
0:Install Success
Starting recovery on Wed Nov 16 14:52:16 2011
framebuffer: fd 4 (1024 x 600)
recovery filesystem table
=========================
0 /tmp ramdisk (null) (null)
1 /system ext4 /dev/block/mmcblk0p1 (null)
2 /recovery ext4 /dev/block/mmcblk0p2 (null)
3 /sdcard vfat /dev/block/mmcblk0p4 (null)
4 /data ext4 /dev/block/mmcblk0p5 (null)
5 /cache ext4 /dev/block/mmcblk0p6 (null)
6 /misc emmc /dev/block/mmcblk0 (null)
7 /extsd vfat /dev/block/mmcblk1p1 (null)

I:Got arguments from boot message
Command: "recovery" "--wipe_data"
Checking Sideload : E:failed to mount /extsd (No such file or directory)
file is not exist
Wipe data/cache

ro.sf.lcd_density=240
ro.tether.denied=1
ro.config.notification_sound=Razzle.ogg
ro.secure=0
ro.allow.mock.location=1
ro.debuggable=0
persist.service.adb.enable=0
ro.factorytest=0
ro.calibration=0
ro.serialno=
ro.bootmode=unknown
ro.baseband=unknown
ro.carrier=unknown
ro.bootloader=unknown
ro.hardware=freescale
ro.revision=332080
init.svc.recovery=running
init.svc.boot_count=stopped
init.svc.adbd=stopped

BATTERY = 100 (0)
Formatting /data...
format_root return :0Formatting /cache...
format_root return :0

I'll go and see what's inside that recovery_backup_signed.zip - maybe I can simply replace a few of the contents with Clockworkmod.

P.S.: stevebiggs, probably the internal SD card is too slow to play back 3GB / (the seconds your film takes). Try streaming it from another computer - a 1.8GB file from my UPnP server worked fine here.

P.S2: Turn out the recovery .zip is particularly interesting. The only file I can mount is system.img - the other files are in some other format than ext or yaffs or simply are corrupt. System.img contains a bluetooth.apk (indicating it might be the freescale image) and no bloat. Just two kobo files.

Last edited by hieronymos; 11-17-2011 at 09:47 AM.
hieronymos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 09:50 AM   #47
pulsar
Connoisseur
pulsar reads XML... blindfoldedpulsar reads XML... blindfoldedpulsar reads XML... blindfoldedpulsar reads XML... blindfoldedpulsar reads XML... blindfoldedpulsar reads XML... blindfoldedpulsar reads XML... blindfoldedpulsar reads XML... blindfoldedpulsar reads XML... blindfoldedpulsar reads XML... blindfoldedpulsar reads XML... blindfolded

Device: kindle 3, kobo vox
And here's what my Gparted says about my clone SD (it should be identical to the internal SD, except for the bottom unallocated space):

Which version of gparted are you using? Mine is 0.9.1, ran under Fedore 15. The differences are that it does reports ext4 for 3 partitions (as Kobo's "mount" command), but it agrees with you on /data being ext2, and KOVOBOX being fat32. Why on earth are they using fat32 on the internal SD card? WHat advantage can it have compared to ext* file systems, given that it is Linux?
pulsar is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-17-2011, 09:52 AM   #48
pulsar
Connoisseur
pulsar reads XML... blindfoldedpulsar reads XML... blindfoldedpulsar reads XML... blindfoldedpulsar reads XML... blindfoldedpulsar reads XML... blindfoldedpulsar reads XML... blindfoldedpulsar reads XML... blindfoldedpulsar reads XML... blindfoldedpulsar reads XML... blindfoldedpulsar reads XML... blindfoldedpulsar reads XML... blindfolded

Quote:
Originally Posted by hieronymos View Post
Maybe I have a very special device then. *shrugs*.

Do you mean the fact that your device had data wiped out by Volume Up + Power? In fact, it also happened to my device. I discovered yesterday that all my user data was gone - I'm pretty sure because I also tried Volume Up + Power at some point.
Old 11-17-2011, 10:06 AM   #49
spikexp
Connoisseur
spikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulsar View Post
Why on earth are they using fat32 on the internal SD card? WHat advantage can it have compared to ext* file systems, given that it is Linux?
So that it can be see on windows. I suppose.
spikexp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 10:44 AM   #50
pulsar
Connoisseur

The first, 45MiB unallocated space must contain the boot loader and kernel image. Inside the file recovery_backup_signed.zip I found files uramdisk.img, recovery-uramdisk.img, and uImage. Running "files -s" command on these files on Fedora 15, I got this information:

uramdisk.img: u-boot legacy uImage, Android Root Filesystem, Linux/ARM, RAMDisk Image (Not compressed), 182088 bytes, Fri Sep 23 03:38:23 2011, Load Address: 0x90308000, Entry Point: 0x90308000, Header CRC: 0x6CD9AD84, Data CRC: 0xE99D6FFC

recovery-uramdisk.img: u-boot legacy uImage, Android Recovery Filesystem, Linux/ARM, RAMDisk Image (Not compressed), 958829 bytes, Fri Sep 23 03:42:05 2011, Load Address: 0x90308000, Entry Point: 0x90308000, Header CRC: 0x7EE613C2, Data CRC: 0x740C7563

uImage: u-boot legacy uImage, Linux-2.6.35.3, Linux/ARM, OS Kernel Image (Not compressed), 2941580 bytes, Fri Sep 23 02:05:50 2011, Load Address: 0x70008000, Entry Point: 0x70008000, Header CRC: 0x88FC0EBD, Data CRC: 0xD8FC49A0

So uImage is the kernel. All of them are probably located inside the first unallocated space. They are raw images, so presumably they don't need partitions.

Last edited by pulsar; 11-17-2011 at 10:48 AM.
Advert
Old 11-17-2011, 10:47 AM   #51
pulsar
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by spikexp View Post
So that it can be see on windows. I suppose.
Actually, I am reading that the type of partition (e.g. reported by gparted) can be ignored by Android/Linux - it can mount almost any filesystem on almost any type of partition. Command "mount" executed on Kobo shows all of the filesystems of type ext4, even the one inside the partition of type fat32. If you thought it's confusing, I would totally agree.
Old 11-17-2011, 02:45 PM   #52
jefftheworld
Groupie
jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.

Device: Kobo, Kobo Vox
Quote:
Originally Posted by pulsar View Post
Actually, I am reading that the type of partition (e.g. reported by gparted) can be ignored by Android/Linux - it can mount almost any filesystem on almost any type of partition. Command "mount" executed on Kobo shows all of the filesystems of type ext4, even the one inside the partition of type fat32. If you thought it's confusing, I would totally agree.
Yeah, but Windows can't easily mount ext filesystems, so they made this partition fat32 so that both the Vox and a windows computer could easily mount it.
jefftheworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 06:30 PM   #53
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
If anyone is interested, more internal pictures are available at the FCC database. Go to Advanced Search; search for Product Code K080 and then select Detail.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 08:06 PM   #54
jefftheworld
Groupie
jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.

Device: Kobo, Kobo Vox
I'll be taking apart my Vox again this weekend, so I'll post pictures or a video outlining the process of opening it, as well as a few pictures of the internals.
jefftheworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 09:50 AM   #55
hieronymos
Groupie
hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.

This document [removed] gives a rough idea how the boot process works for the internal SD. A.k.a. the way to a more-than-reset recovery.

I myself have never used Clockwork Recovery, do I don't know anything. I however believe it would be easier just to do the modifications the apk does directly to the SD.

Last edited by hieronymos; 11-18-2011 at 01:14 PM.
Old 11-18-2011, 09:55 AM   #56
spikexp
Connoisseur
spikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura aboutspikexp has a spectacular aura about

In the init.rc file, we can see the partition and the mount.
all seem to be ext4 except the fat32 one.
mmcblk0p1 is the system.
mmcblk0p5 is the data.
mmcblk0p6 is the cache.
spikexp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 10:44 AM   #57
pulsar
Connoisseur

Are you using adb? I've managed to run adb from a Linux distro over USB. I've found some promising adb commands on this page:

adb reboot
adb bootloader
adb recovery
adb reboot-bootloader

Especially the "adb recovery" - it may very well be functional on Kobo. Just be aware the that recovery*.zip file in mmcblk0p2 contains older binaries (September 23), whereas the current binaries on my Vox are of October 27 (presumably the update when I used Kobo for the first time). I think it still should be okay, to revert to older binaries, as then the Kobo's "update" process should do the upgrade.
Old 11-18-2011, 10:51 AM   #58
hieronymos
Groupie

As far as I know, the only thing the recovery does right now is wiping all data (see the recovery log up the page). I don't want to reboot there.

My SD is arriving in a few weeks I'll stop complaining then :-)

Add: made a post over at Cyanogen: http://forum.cyanogenmod.com/topic/3...y-on-kobo-vox/

Last edited by hieronymos; 11-18-2011 at 12:02 PM.
Old 11-18-2011, 12:17 PM   #59
pulsar
Connoisseur

Interesting - so you believe the bootloader (and kernel?) images are not encrypted (locked) on Kobo? Is there a way to test that?
Old 11-18-2011, 12:22 PM   #60
pulsar
Connoisseur

As an experiment (useful for those who would like to swap their internal SD card for a larger one), I just used Gparted on my Linux box to slightly expand the fat32 partition on my clone micro-SD (even though it is 8GB, but it is larger by 300 MiB than the internal one), by 300MiB. Next time I disassemble my Kobo, I can test if this card still works fine inside Kobo.