Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-24-2012, 10:48 AM   #1
andygr62
andygr62 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo wifi
Connection problem - two questions

Hello and my apologies if this is covered elsewhere. Have been given a Kobo Touch and want to download some books from my desktop.

I use the Adobe ePub for downloads.

My problem is that, having connected the Kobo to the computer, it is not being found at all. I've tried other USB connections and - nothing!
Anyone any advice as to where I'm going wrong?

Also, can the Kobo be charged via one of the USB mains plugs (UK) or does it HAVE to be via computer.

Thanks and I would appreciate all help given
andygr62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 11:46 AM   #2
Matth79
Zealot
Matth79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matth79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matth79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matth79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matth79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matth79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matth79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matth79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matth79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matth79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Matth79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
The Kobo Touch seems to charge ok from a powered USB hub, even when not connected to a computer, so it should charge ok from most USB chargers (either USB socket & use the data cable, or USB charger with micro-B cable end - as used by a number of phones) - when picking a charger, wath the voltage, some supposed USB ones are some silly voltage like 5.5V or 5.3V, and THAT WILL NOT DO.

What kind of port are you connecting to, as I'd guess the Kobo must have full power - a system direct port or a powered hub port, NOT an unpowered hub. The front ports on a case can often end up unreliable, as they get the most use, worse if you are also in the habit of using noncompliant USB powered devices.

If using a USB extension cable, ensure it is USB2 capable, the stringy retractable ones tend to be unusable beyond USB1 speeds.
Matth79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-24-2012, 12:07 PM   #3
frankieGom
Interested
frankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kobo Touch & Glo, Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by andygr62 View Post
My problem is that, having connected the Kobo to the computer, it is not being found at all. I've tried other USB connections and - nothing!
Anyone any advice as to where I'm going wrong?
When you plug the Kobo, it should present you with a choice: Cancel or Connect. You must choose Connect for it to appear on the PC. Cancel is for those times when you want to keep using it while recharging from the PC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andygr62 View Post
Also, can the Kobo be charged via one of the USB mains plugs (UK) or does it HAVE to be via computer.
Any USB mains charger should do, really. The worst that could happen to you is to select one that does not deliver enough current for the device, but seeing how the Kobo needs so little power that really should not be a problem.

For you information USB power is specified as 500mA@5V on a PC, but laptops sometime provide less than 500mA to reduce the drain on the battery (contrary to what Matth79 wrote, I do not believe a charger delivering 5.3V or even 5.5V would be a problem but it does not harm to try and stick to 5V of course)

François
frankieGom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 12:25 PM   #4
andygr62

Kobo connections

Thanks very much for the replies. Reading them I found I wasn't messing it up but still had a problem so started checking the USB ports, AFTER I'd verified the Kobo connection via a Notebook. That confirmed it was fine.

I then started on the USB ports - turns out 2 out of the six aren't working at all! Has to be the connection inside. The powered port wouldn't allow the connection despite trying all the ports and the fact it's happily running other devices.

I then disconnected the hub and plugged the Kobo in there and hey presto! Worked first time.

Delighted it works but wondering why the others don't! Not to worry I'll worry about that later.

Thanks very much for the help - very much appreciated.
Old 01-24-2012, 12:27 PM   #5
andygr62

Forgot to ask - can I use a mains USB plug to charge the Kobo? Feel I can but don't want to melt the thing! Wife would separate me from my breath!:O)
Advert
Old 01-24-2012, 02:39 PM   #6
ballfresno
Addict
ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo (Sage, Aura One, Aura HD, & Touch); reMarkable tablet.
I use a mains USB plug all the time, especially when travelling. The same USB cable allows me to charge both my reader and my phone... very convenient, especially as the reader needs charging so infrequently.
ballfresno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 03:05 PM   #7
andygr62

Thanks very much. Of to Boston in a few weeks and didn't really want to take the Netbook if it could be done this way! Magic Now to find a US to UK charger!:O)

Thanks again
Old 01-24-2012, 03:17 PM   #8
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Andy; check out Maplins

http://www.maplin.co.uk/4-port-usb-t...adaptor-383894

http://www.maplin.co.uk/usb-mp3-trav...-supply-224194

http://www.maplin.co.uk/high-power-u...daptors-513509
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote