Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 01-10-2012, 08:27 AM   #1
salines
Zealot
salines will become famous soon enoughsalines will become famous soon enoughsalines will become famous soon enoughsalines will become famous soon enoughsalines will become famous soon enoughsalines will become famous soon enoughsalines will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-T1
which best format to convert to epub

Maybe there is a thread I haven't seen....

I have sometimes mayn formats of a book: pdf, txt, doc, rtf, ....

Which is the best format to convert to epub?

And after converting: Should I delete the other formats?

Which format should I keep if something went wrong with converting?
salines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 08:58 AM   #2
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Try rtf, then rtf/doc saved as HTML using Word/Openoffice/etc. HTML is best. txt works but pure txt does not usually contain stuff like italics so the result may be lacking.
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-10-2012, 09:04 AM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by salines View Post
Maybe there is a thread I haven't seen....

I have sometimes mayn formats of a book: pdf, txt, doc, rtf, ....

Which is the best format to convert to epub?

And after converting: Should I delete the other formats?

Which format should I keep if something went wrong with converting?
Your list, as shown:, is from WORST to better
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 09:09 AM   #4
salines
Zealot
salines will become famous soon enoughsalines will become famous soon enoughsalines will become famous soon enoughsalines will become famous soon enoughsalines will become famous soon enoughsalines will become famous soon enoughsalines will become famous soon enough

Thank you both!

Should I write the tags/genres and all other stuff collected in Calibre in the epub-file? Which method should I use?
Old 01-10-2012, 09:10 AM   #5
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
From the calibre manual:
Quote:
Originally Posted by link
What are the best source formats to convert?

In order of decreasing preference: LIT, MOBI, EPUB, FB2, HTML, PRC, RTF, PDB, TXT, PDF
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-10-2012, 09:23 AM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by salines View Post
Thank you both!

Should I write the tags/genres and all other stuff collected in Calibre in the epub-file? Which method should I use?
Calibre can create those when it converts or you can use the Modify EPUB plugin to force the change without conversion
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 09:27 AM   #7
salines
Zealot

OK, now I can convert my books and also have a good feeling.
Thanks again.