Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-05-2019, 04:08 PM   #31
Thargor
Connoisseur
Thargor got an A in P-Chem.Thargor got an A in P-Chem.Thargor got an A in P-Chem.Thargor got an A in P-Chem.Thargor got an A in P-Chem.Thargor got an A in P-Chem.Thargor got an A in P-Chem.Thargor got an A in P-Chem.Thargor got an A in P-Chem.Thargor got an A in P-Chem.Thargor got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Sony PRS 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
Kobo is currently selling manufacturer refurbished Glo HDs with a 1 year warranty. I think they're probably overpriced at $90, however.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Kobo-Glo-HD...4AAOSwSiBcgZe6
Thanks but they dont ship outside North America.

I'm a bit iffy about secondhand devices like phones and readers anyway, especially when they have a rubberized or textured cover, Im a bit of a germaphobe about things like that.
Thargor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 04:08 PM   #32
Thargor
Connoisseur
Thargor got an A in P-Chem.Thargor got an A in P-Chem.Thargor got an A in P-Chem.Thargor got an A in P-Chem.Thargor got an A in P-Chem.Thargor got an A in P-Chem.Thargor got an A in P-Chem.Thargor got an A in P-Chem.Thargor got an A in P-Chem.Thargor got an A in P-Chem.Thargor got an A in P-Chem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
But, we haven't seen any signs suggesting something is coming. Usually by this point, someone would have seen something on FCC or in the firmware. Nothing has shown up, so I suspect Kobo is not going to release a device this year. My wallet will be happy with that
Ill give it until Christmas then go Forma if thats the case, thanks.
Advert
Old 08-05-2019, 06:21 PM   #33
Michal Jancik
Sorry for my English
Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KOBO H2O,Inkpad 4,ONYX Leaf 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thargor View Post
Do you know if it shows the cover of the book you're currently reading as the screensaver when its sleeping?

Yes displays.
Either the cover of the book you are reading (which is open) or your own picture, or just the classic default screen "PocketBook".
Michal Jancik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 07:26 PM   #34
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michal Jancik View Post
I think Pocketbook "Touch HD 3" is actually the best device that we can find today with "6" inch screen, buttons and HZO Protection™ IPx7 (waterproof) . Equipment that has a very good balance of quality and price.
One of the videos showed a color range for the screen that looked a lot like the range on the Tolino Vision 4 HD (though the Vision has a flush screen). Is there any way to find out how many LEDs the Pocketbook Touch HD 3 has? (The new(est) Vision has 7 white and 6 yellow.)
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 05:35 AM   #35
Michal Jancik
Sorry for my English
Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KOBO H2O,Inkpad 4,ONYX Leaf 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
One of the videos showed a color range for the screen that looked a lot like the range on the Tolino Vision 4 HD (though the Vision has a flush screen). Is there any way to find out how many LEDs the Pocketbook Touch HD 3 has? (The new(est) Vision has 7 white and 6 yellow.)
Smart Light on Touch HD 3 has the same number of LEDs:
  • 7x White
  • 6x Orange
.. which is more than enough for a uniform 6-inch screen.
Michal Jancik is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-06-2019, 01:14 PM   #36
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Smart Light on Touch HD 3 has the same number of LEDs:
  • 7x White
  • 6x Orange
.. which is more than enough for a uniform 6-inch screen.
In the video it appears the HD 3 produces the same color tones and uniform brightness as the Vision 4, which is a very good thing (in my opinion).
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 01:27 PM   #37
teija
Gadget fiend
teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite 2021, Sony PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calenorn View Post
A Mini with Clara screen and software? Take my money NOW!!!!
Here here!! lol

Actually I'll admit, although there was a time I would have LINED UP for a Kobo Mini with backlight, I have kind of gotten used to the larger screens, and admit it was just too awkward to read on sometimes. For the tiny difference in device size, I ended up using a Kobo Touch as my go-to reader over the Mini. Still fits nicely into a small purse, and doesn't add much bulk to luggage when traveling.

I wouldn't say there are any particular features that are actually lacking in the current lineups... price point is the biggest thing, but even that is not bad compared to the very early days of eInk!

Having said that, yes, sometimes the touch-screen annoys me (my Kindle has a tendency of jumping pages for little or no reason) and I long for just a little button or two on the sides...

/my2cents
teija is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 06:19 PM   #38
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
I think Pocketbook "Touch HD 3" is actually the best device that we can find today with "6" inch screen, buttons and HZO Protection™ IPx7 (waterproof) . Equipment that has a very good balance of quality and price.
I looked at the Pocketbook Touch HD 3 before when you recommended it. It looks like a nice device, but I prefer Kobo's firmware for its ability to display series info in the library. I've also gotten to like the kepub format that counts each screen as a page. When I read epubs on my Nooks the inaccurate page count makes me crazy.

Also, the buttons are nice, but the layout seems weird. I'd rather have the page turn buttons on the side ala the Glowlight 3.
ZodWallop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 06:32 PM   #39
wingmongyee
Enthusiast
wingmongyee is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.wingmongyee is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.wingmongyee is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.wingmongyee is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.wingmongyee is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.wingmongyee is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.wingmongyee is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.wingmongyee is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.wingmongyee is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.wingmongyee is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.wingmongyee is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
@THARGOR. I recently replaced the battery on my Glo HD - really easy to do. The battery costed about $27AUD. It's like I've got a brand new reader. On the first full charge, I got over 5 weeks of reading time (I read at least one hour a day every day). I'm now into my second full charge and I expect it will last longer as the info that came with the battery explains that the battery will be at full capacity only after a few full charges.
Like you, I had to recharge the battery every 3 to 4 days prior to replacing it. I ordered the new battery and by the time it arrived (it took a couple of weeks) I had to recharge every day!
So if your considering getting a new reader because the Glo HD no longer keeps its charge, I suggest you replace the battery instead. And there's really no need to buy a second hand Glo HD when you can just put a brand new battery in yours. Cheers. And good luck and good reading whatever you decide.

Last edited by wingmongyee; 08-08-2019 at 06:36 PM.
wingmongyee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 06:39 PM   #40
Thargor
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingmongyee View Post
@THARGOR. I recently replaced the battery on my Glo HD - really easy to do. The battery costed about $27AUD. It's like I've got a brand new reader. On the first full charge, I got over 5 weeks of reading time (I read at least one hour a day every day). I'm now into my second full charge and I expect it will last longer as the info that came with the battery explains that the battery will be at full capacity only after a few full charges.
Like you, I had to recharge the battery every 3 to 4 days prior to replacing it. I ordered the new battery and by the time it arrived (it took a couple of weeks) I had to recharge every day!
So if your considering getting a new reader because the Glo HD no longer keeps its charge, I suggest you replace the battery instead. And there's really no need to buy a second hand Glo HD when you can just put a brand new battery in yours. Cheers. And good luck and good reading whatever you decide.
Thanks but as you can see from this thread I tried that, same result as the original battery. Combined with the fact that it refuses to connect to any pc over USB anymore I wonder if something weird is going on:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=321429

Do you have any links to the battery you bought?
Old 08-08-2019, 09:42 PM   #41
wingmongyee
Enthusiast
wingmongyee is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.wingmongyee is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.wingmongyee is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.wingmongyee is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.wingmongyee is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.wingmongyee is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.wingmongyee is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.wingmongyee is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.wingmongyee is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.wingmongyee is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.wingmongyee is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
@THARGOR. Here's the link to the replacement battery I purchased :
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Replacem...frcectupt=true

When I ordered it, I was expecting the battery to come as on the photo only wrapped in bubble wrap or the like but it came in fact in a sealed presentation box and it looked to me like new stock - I don't know how old this stock was but the model of this battery is used in other readers apart from Kobo so I would be surprised if it is not still being produced.

I read your thread. Something weird indeed seems to be going on.

Having said this, I should tell you that the first time I fully charged the new battery, the next morning it had dropped from 100% to 85% charge like it did for you. I was a bit concerned but thereafter, it dropped only 1 or 2% each day. And on the second full charge, it didn't do like the first time and only discharged as one would expect 1 or 2 % overnight. I assume that the first initial 15% decrease was because it was only the first time the battery was charged and it was not optimized. As I said before, the info that came with the battery explains that it takes a few full charges before the battery operates at full capacity.

Also, all my books are in the Kepub format on the reader. My collection in Calibre is in epub but I use the KoboTouchExtended (3.15) plugin and I set it up so that the books are converted on the fly to Kepub when I transfer them to the reader. So all the books (over 1000) on the Glo HD are in Kepub. I prefer the Kepub format for a few reasons: the reader can display the number of pages left in chapters, and also I have a few novels that each consists of many hundred pages of text in a block without any split in chapters or even paragraph (I think) and I found that these books would take ages to open on the reader in Epub format and every page turn would take about a minute as to make the book itself essentially unreadable, however in the Kepub format, the book still take a few seconds longer than ordinary books to open but once opened, the page turns are as quick as any normal book. On the other hand, I never came across any downside to using Kepub. All the books display perfectly.

Finally, I have no problem with the USB connection. This could be the main issue in your case, I would surmise.

Personally, if I were to get a new ereader, in view of what is available from all brands right now, I would go for the Clara HD. It's seems to me to be pretty much like the Glo HD (which I love) with the added bonus of the warmer lighting, which is the only thing I would add to the Glo HD to make it perfect (for me).

Cheers

Last edited by wingmongyee; 08-08-2019 at 10:06 PM.
wingmongyee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 05:52 AM   #42
mathil
Evangelist
mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mathil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O/Glo HD/Libra 2, Kindle PW3/PW5
I used the same battery (I'm pretty sure it's the only replacement battery available) when the one inside my Glo HD died - it would only turn on when plugged into the AC - and it still works perfectly well. Substituting it was really easy, so there might have been some other issues there.
mathil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 10:21 AM   #43
Thargor
Connoisseur

So we're nearly half way through August and no new rumors...

Do the experts think we won't be seeing a new Reader from Kobo this year then? How early did we hear about new releases in previous years?

I need a new reader and I'm 99% sure it will be the Forma but if a new version appears right after I pay the pretty steep price I'll be raging...
Old 08-12-2019, 11:00 AM   #44
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
If one does eventually show up (and I doubt it will, at least not until later in the year, like, say, the very end of Q4 at the earliest, which already sounds unlikely), it's unlikely to be something in the Forma range, since it's not even a year old, and the latest released device.

TL;DR: You probably won't regret buying a Forma now until a good long while, especially if you're getting a Forma because of its Forma-ness (i.e., 8", buttons, flush bezel, flexible backplane), and not it's new-ness .

Last edited by NiLuJe; 08-12-2019 at 11:03 AM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 11:10 AM   #45
Thargor
Connoisseur

Yeah I think I'm just going to go for it, my Glo HD won't even connect to the Calibre content server anymore, I'm not ripping off the back cover and removing the SD every time I want to add content.