Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 08-29-2019, 09:19 PM   #1
Glubbish
Enthusiast
Glubbish began at the beginning.

Device: kobo
how to copy books to a new ereader keeping status

I have been unable to find a document for this, but people must be doing it all the time.

I currently have a kobo aura, and want to transfer the books to a kobo clara.
I would like them to keep things like finished/unread, last read, date of addition to library and progress of the book I am reading.

I have tried sending a finished book to aura, but it comes up as unread.

Once this is completed, I want to do the same from a sony to the aura.

If anyone can point me to a step by step guide it would be appreciated.
Glubbish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 11:35 PM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
You want my Kobo Utilities plugin. It has function to fetch the reading status of a book from the Kobo devices and store it in the library. You can send this back to the Kobo device later if needed.

Otherwise, there is discussion on how to do this in the Kobo forum. It can be done by, very carefully, copying the database from one device to the other.

And as to "doing it all the time", for most of the ereader devices and apps, the reading status is not in a place it can be retrieved. Kobo is the only dedicated device that I know of that stores this in a place that can be seen when the device is connected. Sony probably did, but they stopped making them years ago. I haven't looked at many apps on Android or iOS devices, but, for the few that I have, I couldn't see where this data is.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-29-2019, 11:48 PM   #3
Glubbish
Enthusiast

Hi David,
Thanks for the reply. I have had kobo utilities installed for quite a while, but I really do not know how to use it. The 'update metadata in device library' seems to allow changing a book/books status to unread/finished (I have used this when I mistakenly started reading a book).
The library has all the correct statuses. What I dont know is how to get the same selection of books to the new device and keep the statuses.
I will look for something in the kobo forum (google has not been my friend for this)
Old 08-30-2019, 12:21 AM   #4
Glubbish
Enthusiast

I created a column for read location (had read percent and last read already).
deleted the book I am testing from the device.
I had updated the metadata of the test book to finished and 100% read.
sent book to device.
ejected device. connect again and ejected again.
Book still shows unread on the device.

[edit] used store/restore current bookmark and it worked.

Last edited by Glubbish; 08-30-2019 at 12:27 AM.