Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Editor

Notices

Old 06-18-2019, 11:19 AM   #16
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
Well that would have been nice to know!

So do you use the QWebChannel.js or do you serialize and send back and forth across a pipe, or yourself?

I will take a peek to try to understand your approach.

That said, I really am not a javascript programmer (what I know about javascript you could put in a thimble) but luckily I have been able to adapt the javascript used in Sigil to get effectively a cfi (webpath) to synchronize scrolling between our CodeView and Preview.

Take care,

KevinH

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
I actually wrote my own browser as way to learn the warts of web engine https://github.com/kovidgoyal/vise

so porting calibre stuff to it was relatively painless, in comparison.
KevinH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 11:28 AM   #17
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
web channel did not work for me because the browser has multiple web pages and it is not easy to know which page which channel belongs to, so I used a rather glorious hack -- for communication for JS back to the outside world I seriealized the message as JSON and set it as the document.title which fires the Qt titleChanged() signal, and my Qt side code can then call a function in JS to get the payload for the message in caseit was too large to send via a title.

And yeah JS is a pain, I ended up writing my own python like language that compiles to JS to make working with it tolerable. Th entire calibre content server and all the webengine code are written in it. https://github.com/kovidgoyal/rapydscript-ng
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-18-2019, 12:00 PM   #18
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
Gotta love that hack!

So to go from python to javascript you use pyqt5 to invoke runjavascript to send a json object to your own javascript routine preloaded in the page.

Then to go the other way, javascript just changes the document title to add a message and a Qt signal titleChanged() is fired automatically which tells the python side to run a javascript to get the result from the document title tag resetting it back to normal. And since the document title is for informational purposes and not actually shown, everything just works!

And this can work for any number of different webpages each with its own document title.

Absolutely wonderful! No pipes, no shared memory, no extra signals, no QWebChannel, just a little extra javascript to read and manipulate the document title.

Qt should pay you for this idea and then create an extra signal tied to an always *non-displayed* tag such as a qt:message tag stored in head or even a standard comment tag in head.

Nicely done!
KevinH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 01:26 PM   #19
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
thanks I was rather proud of the hack, simple, but effective. I actually reported it to Qt ina bug report about the inadequacies of web channel, but they weren't interested
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote