Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-11-2019, 07:32 AM   #1
bikerbill
bikerbill began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quick question before purchase

I like the look of the H20 2nd edition, but would like to know whether the software has been upgraded, or is it essentially the same as the earlier version?
I ask because having tried a friend's 1st edition of the H20 I found it to be a bit slow to respond when turning the page. Nothing drastic, but my only experience so far is with Kindle Paperwhite, which responds noticeably quicker.
Wondering whether to wait for a newer model..

Thanks.
bikerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 09:50 AM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
The answer to that is that it is running the same firmware and it has been updated a lot. So, it really depends on what firmware version your friends Aura H2O was running. If it was running the factory firmware, the page turning speed is probably faster now. But, if you tried it recently and it was running the most recently released firmware version, then the Aura H2O Edition 2 is probably roughly the same speed.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 09:57 AM   #3
bikerbill

Thank you. He bought it fairly recently, so presumably it updated during the initial setup.
I'll have another look at it.
Old 08-11-2019, 10:29 AM   #4
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
The original Aura H2O hasn't been sold new for at least two years, so are you sure that is what he has? And the firmware should have updated. There were changes at lest a year ago that improved the page turning speed. Also, using kepubs instead of epubs has always been generally considered faster.

Personally, I have never seen an issue. I can't move my eyes faster than the page turns, so it doesn't have to faster than it is.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 11:34 AM   #5
bikerbill

Yes it was the original Aura H20, bought from Amazon about three weeks ago.
I'll probably get the new one to try from somewhere I can return it to easily if necessary, Argos & J.Lewis both have the 2nd ed H20.
And yes, the difference in page turn speed wasn't a major issue, but certainly noticeable to my Kindle-conditioned eye
Old 08-11-2019, 01:38 PM   #6
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
The page turn speed on the Kobo is much improved if you load books in their native Kepub format, (instead of a a straight Epub.). This happens automatically if you buy your books from the Kobo store, but otherwise, an be achieved by using the Kobo Touch Extended plugin in Calibre. I find the page turns this way to be even more reponsive that Kindles, (for text, a little bit slower for pages with graphics.)
rashkae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 04:47 PM   #7
lumpynose
Wizard
lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm Pilot M105
Maybe page turning is one of the reasons people prefer ebooks over printed books. With a printed book I'm often fussing and fiddling with turning the pages because it's easy to inadvertently turn two pages instead of one. But then there's the problem of accidentally touching the edge of the screen and it turns one or more pages. Can't win.
lumpynose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 07:54 PM   #8
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by lumpynose View Post
Maybe page turning is one of the reasons people prefer ebooks over printed books. With a printed book I'm often fussing and fiddling with turning the pages because it's easy to inadvertently turn two pages instead of one. But then there's the problem of accidentally touching the edge of the screen and it turns one or more pages. Can't win.
I think with Kobos you can now (or maybe always could) turn off one-touch page turning and just use swipe (kind of like the old Sony Readers).
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote