Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Editor

Notices

Old 07-07-2019, 08:35 AM   #1
Iznogood
Guru
Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad, kindle paperwhite
Splitting pages gives me an undesired beutification

Hi. I am using calibre to proof-read and correct errors from ocr'ed epubs. My OCR engine outputs a complete epub (with a lot of errors) that needs correcting. I import this into calibre and starts editing.

The first thing I do when I start to edit is searching for ndashes and mdashes and replace them with – and — respectively. I do the same for quotes and other special glyphs. I do this in order to be able to see in the code view which glyph the ocr engine has given me, and easily be able to change the type of hypen or quote.

I have un-checked the option "replace HTML entities as they are typed" and the "Beautify individual files automatically when they are opened". And in general, calibre will leave my changes alone. But when I use the "Split file" tool, both parts of the file will be given an undesired beautification and I will have to search and replace again to get the complete code back. Is there a way to disable the beautification when splitting files? I want the beautification to be the last step of the process, and leave my manual changes be while I'm working.
Iznogood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 08:52 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
splitting files requires parsing html and in calibre parsing html always gets rid of html entities, replacing them by unicode. There is no beautification done while splitting.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 09:55 AM   #3
Iznogood
Guru
Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for your quick answer. Do I understand correctly in that the only way to achieve what I'd like is doing page splitts at a later step? There is no way to keep html entities during a page split?
Old 07-07-2019, 10:14 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
yes, that is correct
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 10:39 AM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
I place <div><split_here></div>
as a marker, then use the bulk mode 'split at multiple places" in the end
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 08:17 AM   #6
Iznogood
Guru

Thanks for your answers and thanks for the tip about bulk splitting