Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Editor

Notices

Old 05-01-2019, 01:36 AM   #1
notthatitmatters
notthatitmatters began at the beginning.

Device: PC
Auto Save?

Hi

Is it possible to set up "auto save" when editing an epub in Calibre? Reason it would be nice is:

I was editing an epub [mainly correcting errors as I read the book], left the system for a few minutes, when Windows 10, in it's ultimate wisdom, decided to reboot after installing an update. [I had set it to not reboot or update] Lost all of my changes.

I know I should have saved everything after each change, but... Is there any way to recover work when something like this happens? I have no confidence that Windows 10 won't do this again or anything else equally annoying in the future.

Regards
notthatitmatters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 01:41 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
There isn't an auto save feature because the editor has checkpoints, that you can create manually and many are created automatically for you.

Of course check points dont help if your entire OS shuts down.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 11:02 AM   #3
retiredbiker
Addict
retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle KB, Oasis, Pop_Os!, Jutoh, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by notthatitmatters View Post
I have no confidence that Windows 10 won't do this again or anything else equally annoying in the future.
About 8 years ago Windows did something similar to me and the recovery was so painful I gave Linux a try. So glad I did. It's not perfect, but it's so very much better that I couldn't bear the thought of having to go back to Windows. And if it does screw up, it is easy, usually, to see what's going on and fix it. And if you need Windows for work or some thing, you can dual-boot, which I did for a couple of years.
retiredbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 01:26 AM   #4
notthatitmatters
notthatitmatters began at the beginning.

Device: PC
Thank you both for your replies.

I looked at Linux back when I discovered all of the "nasty improvements" that occurred in Windows 7. Found at that time I would have problems trying to run my software and getting drivers for new hardware. Got the impression I had to have an understanding of programming to use it, [which I don't]. Windows 10 seems to have been taken over by the "nasty improvements", so I'll have another look at Linux and see if it is a viable option for me.
notthatitmatters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 01:22 PM   #5
mazdaspeed
mazdaspeed began at the beginning.

Device: calibre
Yeah, but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
There isn't an auto save feature because the editor has checkpoints, that you can create manually and many are created automatically for you.

Of course check points dont help if your entire OS shuts down.
Right now, because of recovering from heart surgery, I'm forced to work from a MacBook Pro 2020 running MacOS Big Sur and Book Editor keeps crashing the Book Editor application. My bad, but just lost 2 hours of work and it does my heart no good.

Please add "autosave"!!!

I contribute to the Calibre project every year...
mazdaspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 10:33 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
If book editor is crashing I would rather you send me a crash report and I can fix the crash if at all possible.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 03:14 PM   #7
Phssthpok
Age improves with wine.
Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Phssthpok knows how to set a laser printer to stun.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kobo Libra II
Quote:
Originally Posted by notthatitmatters View Post
Windows 10, in it's ultimate wisdom, decided to reboot after installing an update.
I have never understood why Windows has to reboot whenever it updates something important like the color of the icon for Windows Media Player.
Phssthpok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 04:03 PM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phssthpok View Post
I have never understood why Windows has to reboot whenever it updates something important like the color of the icon for Windows Media Player.
Because MP was in use at the time, preventing replacement of the Program or DLL files (Icons are usually inside those files).
And I have never see JUST an Icon change Update
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 09:59 AM   #9
mazdaspeed
mazdaspeed began at the beginning.

Device: calibre
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
If book editor is crashing I would rather you send me a crash report and I can fix the crash if at all possible.
Fair enough, I will have to figure out how to do that. I have MacOS experience deficiency. I’ll pay more attention to my options next time. For certain, the MacOS offer to restart the application seems strange since it’s never worked. All I get is an error and the command line opens.

What I can tell you right now is that the frequency of crashes has been 1-2 a day (I work long days) and I haven’t noticed a pattern of causation. I’m fully patched on Big Sur and going to update to Monterey this weekend.
mazdaspeed is offline   Reply With Quote