Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 07-15-2010, 08:24 PM   #1
polbit
Connoisseur
polbit is faster than slow light.polbit is faster than slow light.polbit is faster than slow light.polbit is faster than slow light.polbit is faster than slow light.polbit is faster than slow light.polbit is faster than slow light.polbit is faster than slow light.polbit is faster than slow light.polbit is faster than slow light.polbit is faster than slow light.

Device: Kindle 4, Kindle HDX 8.9, Yoga 2 Pro
iBooks to Nook...

So, I've sold my iPad, got my Nook, and now I'm left with 6 books I bought through iBooks... Is there an easy way to strip the DRM so I can move it to Calibre? I've searched everywhere, took care of my Sony books, but can't find anything about the Apple DRM...
polbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 08:51 PM   #2
bookwerm
Zealot
bookwerm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bookwerm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bookwerm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bookwerm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bookwerm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: B&N Nook
Stripping DRM is illegal (at least in the US), and you won't find help on how to do this in the MR forums. If anyone has done it, your best best is to google it...
bookwerm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-15-2010, 09:21 PM   #3
HistoryWes
Teacher/Novelist
HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR, iPad
It is worth noting that both Sony and iBooks books are epubs.
HistoryWes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 10:50 PM   #4
polbit
Connoisseur
polbit is faster than slow light.polbit is faster than slow light.polbit is faster than slow light.polbit is faster than slow light.polbit is faster than slow light.polbit is faster than slow light.polbit is faster than slow light.polbit is faster than slow light.polbit is faster than slow light.polbit is faster than slow light.polbit is faster than slow light.

Call me a criminal for wanting to read books I purchased...

Anyway, I know they are all epubs, but they all use different DRM. I guess I'll keep on trying to Google Fairplay, and see what comes up...
Old 07-16-2010, 12:47 AM   #5
bookwerm
Zealot
bookwerm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bookwerm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bookwerm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bookwerm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bookwerm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

If you're transferring books you bought from Sony, Kobo, or most other epub retailers, you don't have to strip the DRM to read these books on the nook - they all use ADE DRM, so as long as your nook is authorized to ADE, you can just sideload the books. The problem is if you try to take BN DRM epub to other devices - BN's DRM scheme is slightly different as it is encoded with the buyer's cc #, so you can't read BN books on other devices.
Advert
Old 07-16-2010, 01:08 AM   #6
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by bookwerm View Post
If you're transferring books you bought from Sony, Kobo, or most other epub retailers, you don't have to strip the DRM to read these books on the nook - they all use ADE DRM, so as long as your nook is authorized to ADE, you can just sideload the books. The problem is if you try to take BN DRM epub to other devices - BN's DRM scheme is slightly different as it is encoded with the buyer's cc #, so you can't read BN books on other devices.
The OP is trying to use books bought through iBooks (Apple), not books using Adept (Adobe) DRM. iBooks use a form of Apple's "Fairplay" DRM which AFAIK hasn't been broken (yet).
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 03:28 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
The OP is trying to use books bought through iBooks (Apple), not books using Adept (Adobe) DRM. iBooks use a form of Apple's "Fairplay" DRM which AFAIK hasn't been broken (yet).
That's right, it hasn't.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 04:03 AM   #8
bookwerm
Zealot

Quote:
Per my first response, I'm aware that the OP was about ibooks; however, the poster later talked about different DRM schemes on epub books, and that he had 'taken care' of the Sony books. I took that as an implication that he had stripped the DRM from the Sony books, and was merely pointing out the fact that this is unnecessary as you can just sideload without stripping DRM.
Old 07-16-2010, 04:08 AM   #9
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:
I had to smile at that comment, sorry .....

Somehow the words fairplay and DRM, (never mind Apple), appearing so close together brought a tear to mine eye....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 04:35 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
I had to smile at that comment, sorry .....

Somehow the words fairplay and DRM, (never mind Apple), appearing so close together brought a tear to mine eye....
Actually, Geoff, Apple's "Fairplay" music DRM system was very fair. You could freely burn music to CDs for use in your car (or whatever else you chose to do with a music CD). It was the least "restrictive" DRM system that I've ever come across, which accounts for the huge popularity of the iTunes music store.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 08:33 AM   #11
polbit
Connoisseur

I didn't realize that iBooks Fairplay hasn't been cracked yet, good to know. I guess I should've finished reading the books before I sold the iPad. Caveat emptor...

With Sony ePubs, I know they use ADEPT DRM, but it was just simpler to keep them in Calibre, since I thought I could add the iBooks in there as well.